What is "reasonable" waiting period for a VPS transfer with Virmach?

vyasvyas OG
edited September 2022 in Requests

July 30th, 2022 - ticket was raised by person "X" with Virmach (#959884) for transfer of VPS to Person "Y". Person "Y" Paid the agreed sum, and the transfer fee.
Person "X" paid the transfer fee to Virmach, the latter responded that the transfer might "take a few weeks".

Question where answers appreciated:
Does 8 weeks constitute as "a few weeks"? or is that being overly optimistic?

Thanks in advance

Tagged:

Comments

• Nigh Sect says 69 weeks.

Thanked by (1)Janevski

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    Nigh Sect says 69 weeks.

Al right

I wait 61 more weeks.
    Thanks and all heil the Nigh

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

you might have to wait till they fix majority of their issues and decide what to do with MJJ Tokyo migrants

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    you might have to wait till they fix majority of their issues and decide what to do with MJJ Tokyo migrants

+ ship the XPG drives

Thanked by (1)Wonder_Woman

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

If you said a few weeks to me I would not go as far as 8. Maybe 3, 4, 5. But who’s to say there’s a definition set in stone 😁

• I've been summoned.

69 is nigh.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Janevski

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@yoursunny said:

@cybertech said:

+ ship the XPG drives

nah bruh, NVMe 5.0 might arrive first.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider

I've re-opened the ticket 959884 as it was auto closed by our last mass reply.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @VirMach said: .. it was auto closed..

Note: duplicated in Merged Ticket #884297

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @VirMach said:

Mass reply? "Hey folks.... erm.... can't be bothered with responding to you individually so......"

It's none of my business but you need to overhaul your support - Earlier it was that staff make assumptions based on bias rather than investigating, Now you mass reply to tickets rather than respond. What can it realistically take for a one man band to respond to say 1000 tickets? A day? How many staff do you have?

The only activity that's 100% guaranteed is the thread for sales. I would highly suggest sorting existing ones before offering promos to new sign ups. I had some sympathy the other day, But then I read this and realise where the problem exists!

I mean, You could literally just have one day off for just resolving tickets and appease 99% of people in one day or task an employee with it, It's absolutely mind boggling

• TIP for @vyas: Count your blessings. Go elsewhere before it's too late. Virmach's networking skills are an absolute nightmare.

@chris said:

@VirMach said:

Mass reply? "Hey folks.... erm.... can't be bothered with responding to you individually so......"

It's none of my business but you need to overhaul your support - Earlier it was that staff make assumptions based on bias rather than investigating, Now you mass reply to tickets rather than respond. What can it realistically take for a one man band to respond to say 1000 tickets? A day? How many staff do you have?

The only activity that's 100% guaranteed is the thread for sales. I would highly suggest sorting existing ones before offering promos to new sign ups. I had some sympathy the other day, But then I read this and realise where the problem exists!

I mean, You could literally just have one day off for just resolving tickets and appease 99% of people in one day or task an employee with it, It's absolutely mind boggling

After that post from the other day, I am very curious to know what an average ticket load was before everything started going up down left and right.

Thanked by (1)NerdUno
  • @MichaelCee said:

@chris said:

@VirMach said:

After that post from the other day, I am very curious to know what an average ticket load was before everything started going up down left and right.

Perfect person - If tasked with responding to, Resolving easy ones and organising say 1000 tickets for appropriate members of staff.... What would you say it'd take? Do you reckon you could bang those out in a full 9-5? I think I could..... Although I've never had that much of a load for support lol

• Might also wanna ask yourself why you would let your operation get into a position of having to respond to 1,000+ tickets.

• @chris said:

Perfect person - If tasked with responding to, Resolving easy ones and organising say 1000 tickets for appropriate members of staff.... What would you say it'd take? Do you reckon you could bang those out in a full 9-5? I think I could..... Although I've never had that much of a load for support lol

So you figure you could bang out one ticket every 30 seconds for an entire eight hour day?

• @NerdUno said:
    Might also wanna ask yourself why you would let your operation get into a position of having to respond to 1,000+ tickets.

I'm pulling numbers out of my backside - He hasn't said 1000 lol

• @skorous said:

@chris said:

So you figure you could bang out one ticket every 30 seconds for an entire eight hour day?

From what people write here many are multiple tickets so that's a quick win within itself! I was of course exaggerating to make the point :joy:

@chris said:

@MichaelCee said:

@chris said:

@VirMach said:

I haven’t had that much of a load either. Maybe a couple hundred at once. It’s probs possible but I haven’t really been keeping up with the context of the situation either.

Get some temps.

• edited September 2022

@MichaelCee said: .. I haven’t really been keeping up with the context of the situation either.

That's the most important part.

Get some temps.

Unlikely to help with many of the Tickets, from what I can gather.

I'm not applauding what's happened, though can understand why. Fortunately, my services there aren't critical nor would I expect them to be given the budget nature of them. Others do have a different perspective which is also understandable but only for some. (IMHumbleO.)

Thanked by (1)skorous

@chris said:

@VirMach said:

You misunderstood my comment regarding biases. We haven't posted a sale since April.

@NerdUno said:
    Might also wanna ask yourself why you would let your operation get into a position of having to respond to 1,000+ tickets.

This was already heavily covered/explained on OGF. We didn't exactly have a choice for the majority, and many companies in any industry, even billion dollar companies, have at one time or another not been able to avoid backlogs during extreme surges. I don't remember the exact figures, they're definitely there in a post somewhere, but we were doing extremely well in keeping up with them when you actually look at it considering everything else we were already doing in the background.

If we normally received let's say (these are made up numbers but vaguely how I remember it) 3,000 tickets in a month, and then receive 10,000 a month for multiple months, even if we do the initial 3,000 plus 6,750 additional tickets that month for four months then that's 1,000 ticket backlog.

@chris said: Mass reply? "Hey folks.... erm.... can't be bothered with responding to you individually so......"

We didn't just randomly close tickets. It was a well-thought out process but obviously has a few false positives and the merging system was not perfect either but absolutely necessary. There'd be hundreds of tickets per day which were exact repeats of the previous tickets and I have your next clever remark for you right here: "well maybe there wouldn't be if you just replied to the first ticket in a timely manner!"

So the merge system and the auto reply system were highly accurate where it mattered at achieving what they were intended to do, there are thousands and thousands of them you don't see people bring up as being unwarranted and then there's a few here and there that come up that were obviously false positives.

[1] This transfer ticket should not have been merged ideally, but a total of 1 or 2 people out of tens out thousands were affected in this edge case.
    [2] The merged ticket, if valid, should have been closed as it took longer to answer those in general versus the customer creating a new ticket.
    [3] This doesn't mean all tickets were just closed without first being targeted in a specific way. We have like a dozen different versions of the closing ticket script tailored toward different scenarios and we tried to be as accurate as possible in each.

There was one initial mass closure we did after we first went through specific categories of tickets we could resolve quickly, and that one was less targeted but every other since then has been heavily targeted. And that initial merge gave people a lot of credits automatically, even if they had just made a ticket that said nothing, just so we made sure to credit people who were waiting no matter what, and it helped us not fall behind to an even more extreme level after another huge wave of tickets came in afterward.

• edited September 2022

I don't need a clever remark written out for me - I'm not intentionally attacking you I just feel like the way you conduct your business really could do with an overhaul!

I had a lot of sympathy for you with the post the other day, but mass closing tickets even if credited seems counter productive as people will just open new ones with the existing problem - I understand trying to buy goodwill! I'd probably credit people if they were waiting that long!

But realistically, how sustainable is the company when you can't get in touch for weeks - to me, that feels like you're only going to attract the type of client you probably don't want! Again, it's not designed to be a personal attack I'm genuinely just shocked at how you do things- it must be overwhelming and stressful every day!

Thanked by (1)zed
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2022

So.. @VirMach , does a new ticket 🎟️ need to be raised?

10th week,

Any of the following responses are also fair game at this stage:

• wait another 59 weeks
    • We will tackle it once the next human lands on the moon
    • Transferring the vps will accelerate melting if polar ice caps, so wait till world caps temperature rise to 2 deg C
    • After BF 2023, possible

Cheers

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • I was just thinking about this, especially with the time taken to provision the alpha/beta server. :s

• Things need to happen in order.

1. BF 2022 will happen in 6 weeks.
    2. IPv6 /64 will be added in 17 weeks.
    3. XPG drives will be shipped in 31 weeks.
    4. Transfer will be fulfilled in 59 weeks.
    5. VirMach will be sold to GoDaddy in 666 weeks.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2022

The Zen sequence.

But..

GoDaddy, 😩

And

What about ipv9?

@chris said: I had a lot of sympathy for you with the post the other day, but mass closing tickets even if credited seems counter productive as people will just open new ones with the existing problem

People creating a new ticket for existing problems was the intention of closing the tickets and crediting. It helped us know who still required immediate assistance and helped us be able to answer most of them sooner. In the background before we closed these tickets we had already resolved a lot of the issues which the tickets were about so instead of having to look for needles in a haystack, it resulted in the correct people coming forward.

@yoursunny said:
    5. VirMach will be sold to GoDaddy in 666 weeks.

This is pretty funny. We actually had a company similar to GoDaddy come up to us trying to purchase the company. I had a meeting with them out of curiosity and they had incessantly attempted contacting so I thought I'd return the favor. The entire situation was pretty hilarious because I didn't actually intend on selling the company so I had no reason to bend over backwards to them.

So the meeting starts, and a ton of people start joining the Zoom call. They start asking me questions and I essentially answered them the same way I would usually answer people on OGF: very thorough. Everyone was already starting to get visibly annoyed by this and their "technical expert" started asking some questions and mentioned some details about a processor. It was obviously unimportant but he tried to look smart in front of everyone else and called me out saying "Intel doesn't make any processor like that, it's not 10 cores" or something to that effect, I hardly remember it because it was something that shouldn't have even been challenged. So anyway, I spent like 5-10 minutes arguing with their technical guy and focused on letting him know how wrong he was even though it didn't matter, and finally he realized it and backed off. Obviously though everyone was still quite upset and it was enjoyable knowing 10-20 people had to sit through all that for an hour. The cherry on top was that something came up that required my attention and instead of continuing this seemingly important meeting of a lifetime I called it off early (well no, I actually asked them to wait there and I'd be right back) so they just said they could wrap everything up via email which was clearly their "nice" way of telling me they'd never contact me again.

Transfer will be fulfilled in 59 weeks.

This will probably be first out of all the things on the list, realistically I don't see how we'd do the rest without finishing off catching up to the tickets.

IPv6 /64 will be added in 17 weeks.

This should be second.

BF 2022 will happen in 6 weeks.

Probably third.

XPG drives will be shipped in 31 weeks.

If I have to repurchase all the labels which was super annoying to compile and process (okay maybe I'm exaggerating) then definitely dead last but if anything I'm just protecting people from imminent data loss so I see that as honorable.

Actually I used a third party software so maybe they'd let me easily reprint them. If that's the case then I could see these happening sooner than later.

@vyas said: So.. @VirMach , does a new ticket 🎟️ need to be raised?

I think I already placed it back in the queue, right? Unless it's closed then no new ticket required. Actually I just took a look, you already have another one open so I'll close this one back up.

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I was just thinking about this, especially with the time taken to provision the alpha/beta server. :s

I'm not sure what you're saying but if it's that we should handle this ticket before others or we shouldn't bring a server online, I'd disagree with you there. The actual part where I made a whole new service and wrote about it, I can guarantee you that takes less time than processing a transfer ticket.

Anyway, each task at hand is usually in a queue. Exceptions are made in cases where something that's brought up could benefit others if it's addressed or if there's been great injustice.

For example, great injustice is your free test server running out of bandwidth because ModulesGarden's coding is bad and annoying. I've corrected this injustice for @vyas when I noticed it. Okay fine that part is a joke (I did actually correct it though because it just took a second while I went to go check and make sure nothing else would slow down the transfer process.)

• That's one less Ticket. ;)
    Good wee story, BTW.

1. Transfer ticket
    2. IPv6 /64
    3. Reverse migration of F12 Tokyo
    4. SSD2G
    5. BF2022
    6. XPG drives