Those dirty, dirty IPs (SFW)

So if you are just hosting websites on your VPS and not running an email server does it make any difference if your new IP4 address is listed on Spamhaus and/or other blacklists?

Always thought it did not make any difference for a website but recently have seen several people writing that it does, and some are saying their ISP blocks access to the IP4 address that was assigned to their VPS. Which I assume means that no one who is using the same ISP you use will be able to view the website.

Separate question- will blacklisted IPs eventually get delisted by themselves after a certain period of time (months? years?) with no spam being detected from them or do you always have to request to be delisted?

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@JDMcPea said: Separate question- will blacklisted IPs eventually get delisted by themselves after a certain period of time (months? years?) with no spam being detected from them or do you always have to request to be delisted?

It's not hard to get delisted. Also there was some spam detector service where there are alerts on the ASN level, which you don't have to care about.

Thanked by (1)JDMcPea

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• I don't think it matters especially if you are just using it for hosting and using CloudFlare which is a reverse proxy and hides your IP. So, it doesn't matter what your IP is because a user is connecting to CloudFlare and not your IP.

Thanked by (2)JDMcPea fluttershy
  • edited October 2022

Owning an IPv4 address is like owning a house.
    And guests come to your address and you exchange packets.
    Like, they might bring you peach juice and you give them cookies.
    Actually it's more like renting a house but let's not get into that.

Living behind a NAT is like living in an appartment building.

Having IPv6 only is like being homeless. :anguished:

Dirty or not, every home or IP is valuable.

Thanked by (3)lesuser JDMcPea seenu
  • I've never seen ISP blocking access based on spamhouse, but I could assume some ISPs block access because it's on some blacklist and those addresses could be there for years, but no one bothers to delist them. Some blacklists are automatic and will clean after some time without any "wrong activity", some are manual delist.

I can imagine some corporations blocks on some blacklists for theirs employers - they are supposed to work, not browse internet :D

I think you should ask those people what ISP they have, what list that ISP is using (if they know) etc and go from there. Maybe ISP is stupid, maybe your IP address was in "China hands" and it's blocked, because China. Maybe your users comes from Turkmenistan or China and it's blocked on GFW and you can do do shit for those.

Thanked by (1)JDMcPea

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG
    edited October 2022

Unless you're on the spamhaus drop list I'm firmly of the opinion that there's nothing problematic about blacklisting for an IP that isn't running a mail server.

Honestly I've had one client tell me their friends couldn't email them because the inbound mail server IP was blacklisted at UCEPROTECT L3 so you know, people lie just because the idea of blacklisting being such a horrible thing that they make up what they need to fill in their lack of knowledge.

That people say they know the reason for a problem and that the reason is blacklisting just because they plugged the IP into mxtoolbox and got a "yup you're blacklisted" doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Just means they were trained by the shady, subtle competitive behavior of the WHT crowd.

What that old WHT crowd won't tell you: You can be on 1500 blacklists and have zero problems resulting from being blacklisted. But what a great time to pop up and say "Oh yeah their IPs are dirty so that's your problem, hey look at my signature real quick."

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• edited October 2022

@Janevski said:
    Owning an IPv4 address is like owning a house.

Living behind a NAT is like living in an appartment building.

Having IPv6 only is like being homeless. :anguished:

I like that analogy, but I would like to change it to "having IPv6 only is like living in a gated community, you can only talk to members of the same community"