questions regarding .se / .nu domain - anyone from sweden here?

i have questions about .se / .nu doamins i have registered with loopia. loopia has written to me saying that essential information is missing.

here is the original text:

Vi har blivit kontaktade av Internetstiftelsen angående att ert domännamn [].se har ogiltig information registrerad.
Vänligen inkom med en kopia på ID-handling så kan vi uppdatera konto/domännamn med korrekt information.
Vi behöver svar på detta meddelande senast 2022-10-31, annars kommer domännamnet att bli avregistrerat pga ogiltig information.

here the english translation:

We have been contacted by the Internet Foundation regarding your domain name [].se having invalid information registered.
Please submit a copy of your ID so we can update your account/domain name with the correct information.
We need a response to this message by 2022-10-31, otherwise the domain name will be deregistered due to invalid information.

when i registered the domains in 2005 i didn't have to provide an identity card number. but now this is supposed to be a mandatory requirement? is this really the case?

Comments

• edited October 2022

Yup, had same problem with StableHost.com for .se domain. I've sent my ID and everything was ok.

Thanked by (1)lapua
  • So far I haven't received from loopia any request. Maybe it's just random check?
    I am not from Sweden but I have with them one .se domain I registered in 2008.

Thanked by (1)lapua
  • I have a .nu at nameisp.com and haven't gotten any such request.

• I've had some .se domains and still have a couple of .nu domains and I've never received such emails/messages.

Could just be a random check, as mentioned by @Mumbly.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• did you have to provide a copy of your identity card / number when registering .se/.nu domains? i don't remember this ever being the case!

loopia refers to this: https://internetstiftelsen.se/app/uploads/2021/10/se-terms-and-conditions-2021-11-01.pdf - Term 4.1.1

• edited October 2022

@lapua said: did you have to provide a copy of your identity card / number when registering .se/.nu domains? i don't remember this ever being the case!

No, that's not condition to register .se domain. Anyone can register a .se or .nu domain provided it is available and does not appear on The Swedish Internet Foundation’s block list.
    I registered .se with netim.com the same as I would register .com domain without additional conditions and then few years later transferred it to loopia without any documents included.

To me 4.1.1. doesn't says that you need to provide ID card, just that you need to provide real domain holder data with registration. That's pretty much the same with registering any other gTLD or ccTLD without special conditions available for anyone. Seems like a loopia made a step further in verifying you.

• edited October 2022

loopia says:

The term and condition 4.1.1 has not changed and was the same in 2005 when the domain was registered. However, these conditions are still required to have the domain name registered.
    Whether or not you want to send us the required information, is up to you, but if we don't get it the domain will be deactivated and deleted by the Swedish registry Internetstiftelsen .
    Note that with a transfer, the contact details registered on the domain will not be updated. Internetstiftelsen has informed us that if the information registered on the domain is not updated by 2022-11-xx the domain will be deactivated.

hmm...

• Did they keep pushing u about ID?

I'd guess that ID is not a hard requirement, and they're just asking because it makes their work faster because personal information is public in Sweden - if they get your Personnummer, they can just type that in and the rest will autofill. So if you give/gave valid info but no ID they Should™ not be able to deregister you with that excuse.

• yes they kept reminding me to send my id. i tried everything to get around this. finally i sent my id but only with the absolutely necessary data and pointed out that the scan has to be destroyed after the data has been verified. now i have to hope that loopia adheres to data protection laws.

• @lapua said:
    yes they kept reminding me to send my id. i tried everything to get around this. finally i sent my id but only with the absolutely necessary data and pointed out that the scan has to be destroyed after the data has been verified. now i have to hope that loopia adheres to data protection laws.

:(

I looked on internetstiftelsen.se, and they did change rules to make non-swedish ppl also required to give some identifying number since November 1, 2021: https://support.registry.se/en-US/news/posts/nya-registreringsvillkor-foer-se-respektive-nu-1-november-2021-new-terms-and-conditions-for-se-and-n

Maybe that means that non-swedish ppl with be contacted to update their info?

Also technically the terms and conditions for .se domains (4.1.1 in https://internetstiftelsen.se/app/uploads/2021/10/se-registreringsvillkor-2021-11-01.pdf) don't say anything about providing ID card, only that the info is "complete and correct" which presumably Loopia interprets as a demand for ID-card. It feels fishy tho, Loopia are kinda pushing the boundaries here imo.

Thanked by (1)Mumbly
  • anyway... they told me, no id = no .se domain after 11.11.22.

Thanked by (1)IAmNix
  • I am Swedish and I have a whole bunch of .se domains registered with loopia, and I can not recall ever having to send in some id.
    But, I do use BankID to login to loopia, it's kind of a 2FA provided by the banks in Scandinavia and it does prove your identity, so I guess that could be why I have never needed to send anything in.