Best way to translate an app?

edited October 2022 in General

I have a proprietary app (that I have developed and have the source code for) that I'd like to translate to other languages, to better target other locales and regions.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Google or similar automated translators for the job. Since I only speak English, I don't have a way to verify whether the translations are correct and make sense in its context.

I've been considering translation services from Fiverr, but I've never used any services from them and it, too, has the same problem — I have no way to verify whether the translation is okay.

Has anyone translated their app/website into a different language? What's the approach that you used?

Thanked by (1)Janevski

Comments

• The nigh is end. @deank

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • I've been summoned.

Now, the best way to translate, in this specific case, is simple. Learn whatever language you wish to learn. Get royally drunk with cheap beer, strip down naked, and run around your local streets while shouting "You shall not piss! You shall not piss!".

At one point you will pass out. By time you wake up, whether in a jail or in a jail, you will feel your head refreshed only to realize that your jailmate is also naked and he is right next to you.

Rightfully so, you will scream your lungs out and will pass out again.

In your nightmare, your idol from your favorite football club will begin to teach you something - you don't know what it is, yet. But that is the language you are going to learn.

The all-mighty language of what I'd call -

Gibberish.

Thanked by (3)ralf Janevski rhinoduck

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• You can try approaching the language department in your local university and ask if they can recommend any students to translate for you.

As to whether the translations are useful, it's very hard as you really need someone with domain experience in whatever it is that your app does. I only have experience with translations for games as that's the industry I've worked in, but we often had bad results getting translations from non-gamers even into their native languages.

You best bet might be to offer beta testing to a subset of users and maybe once you have a relationship with some of them, offer them free use of the app going forward for help with translation into their native language.

• use DeepL then get a freelancer to check it

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.