A new kind of vps, a proposal for the people of LES

foxonefoxone OG
edited November 2022 in General

Dear all,
winter is coming, and here in Italy i am starting to feel quite cold. I am afraid to turn on my gas boiler to heat up my radiators, so i am looking for alternative ways to heat up my house.
I was astonished by what Calin has done, and i was thinking: if he can do it, why can't i?

I have collected some parts, enough to assemble a node like this:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5750GE
  • 32gb DDR4 SO-DIMM ram
  • 2x 2TB Samsung 860 + 4x 14TB Toshiba HDD + 1x 1TB SN850 PRO
  • colocated beside my bed (i am cold when i sleep)

Storage configuration of the host (ZFS):

• all storage is connected via USB
  • HDDs in raidz1
  • 2TB SSDs are mixed L2ARC + special dev (with small_blocks set to 8k, so that basically text/linux files end up on ssd)
  • 1TB SSD (nvme) is hypervisor
  • additionally, storage is replicated using PBS at two different locations! one is my office, the other is 300km from here at the beautiful Ligurian seashore

NAME                                                   STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    foxopool                                               ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz1-0                                             ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-TOSHIBA_MG07ACA14TE_31M0A0TEF94G               ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-TOSHIBA_MG07ACA14TE_X120A01JF94G               ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-TOSHIBA_MG07ACA14TE_31M0A1HTF94G               ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-TOSHIBA_MG07ACA14TE_31M0A1JDF94G               ONLINE       0     0     0
    special 
      mirror-1                                             ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_2TB_S3YVNB0KC07037N-part1  ONLINE       0     0     0
        ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_2TB_S3YVNB0KC07042P-part1  ONLINE       0     0     0
    logs    
      /zil0                                                ONLINE       0     0     0
    cache
      ata-Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_2TB_S3YVNB0KC07037N-part2    ONLINE       0     0     0
      wwn-0x5002538e40b58b2f-part2                         ONLINE       0     0     0

Network:

• 200/20 ADSL (shared)
  • 5G network for backup and load balance
  • DMCA ignored (as much as i can push this Telecom Italia Business contract, at least)

Virtualization:

• LXC
  • unlimited shapshots until zfs or proxmox crashes, whatever comes first

Ports 'n IPs:

• No IPv6 fuck you @yoursunny
  • IPv4 (shared in 87.0.0.0/12 range) + 5 high quality ports

VERY IMPORTANT ABOUT THE PORTS

Ports are assigned from a pool of commonly used ports. The goal is to make a marketplace of IPv4 ports. Just like on the famous game Monopoly, at the beginning of your contract you will receive five random ports. For example, you might receive 5432 (postgresql), 5091 (vnc), 25565 (minecraft) and 1883 (mqtt). You can, on a specialized marketplace, trade or sell your ports to other users on the same node. Ports are automatically revoked when a mismatching service is detected running. If you receive port 53, you HAVE TO run DNS on it. You CANNOT run whatever you want. I do not want NON STANDARD PORTS.

IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT THE IP

IP address in this case is dynamic from a pool of business addressed kindly provided by Telecom Italia. I would like to give the option to everybody to be able to change ip at their will, but i do understand that this will upset somebody which wants stability. For this reason, i will provide a DNS record which will automatically point to the ip of the node. But i also understand somebody will want to change the ip, or not change it. For this reason, i have invented a very simple voting method of "reverse bidding". The cost of changing the IP is inversely proportional to the amount of time the IP has been active. Changing the ip starts from 1000€, and drops 0.01157€ every second (reaches 0 every 24 hours). Users of the node can chip in money to either vote FOR or AGAINST the change of ip. As soon as the amount of money against or in favour of changing the ip is equal to the needed amount, the IP is either A: consolidated for another 24 hours or B: changed. In both cases the counter resets.

YABS!!!!

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2022-08-20                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed Nov  9 22:43:01 UTC 2022

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 1 days, 1 hours, 12 minutes
Processor  : AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750GE with Radeon Graphics
CPU cores  : 8 @ 4365.000 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
RAM        : 1.23 GiB
Swap       : 4.56 MiB
Disk       : 78.9 GiB
Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Kernel     : 5.15.53-1-pve

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 95.76 MB/s   (23.9k) | 298.46 MB/s   (4.6k)
Write      | 96.02 MB/s   (24.0k) | 300.03 MB/s   (4.6k)
Total      | 191.79 MB/s  (47.9k) | 598.50 MB/s   (9.3k)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 572.55 MB/s   (1.1k) | 651.33 MB/s    (636)
Write      | 602.97 MB/s   (1.1k) | 694.71 MB/s    (678)
Total      | 1.17 GB/s     (2.2k) | 1.34 GB/s     (1.3k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                |                           |                 |                
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 16.6 Mbits/sec  | 165 Mbits/sec  
Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 16.5 Mbits/sec  | 166 Mbits/sec  
Hybula          | The Netherlands (40G)     | 14.4 Mbits/sec  | 165 Mbits/sec  
Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | busy            | 1.18 Mbits/sec 
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | busy            | 702 Kbits/sec  
Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | busy            | 1.18 Mbits/sec 
Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | busy       

Running GB5 benchmark test... *cue elevator music*
Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value                         
                |                               
Single Core     | 1186                          
Multi Core      | 4002                          
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18537673

Cost: a symbolic price of 1€
The offer is not live yet but i wanted to know your opinion: would you buy something like this?

Comments

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

Sounds like a decent plan for some fun, are you planning on running a billing platform and control panel?

• @natvps_uk said:
    Sounds like a decent plan for some fun, are you planning on running a billing platform and control panel?

Everything can be managed by a Telegram bot.

Regards

• I'm worried about data security, I think it's illegal, if I bought your service, I probably wouldn't build a website.

• i could pick one for my one-ip blog.

• This is one of the funniest LES projects I've seen. I wouldn't get a service but I WILL lurk the threads that ensue from this.

• usb hard drives and 20 uplink... what could go wrong.

• 20 megabit shared uplink? Lol. The few hundred watts from the machine will not heat your house somewhere. I do know someone who heated his house with bitcoin mining, but he had a big setup in the era when gpu mining was profitable. He was probably using 10KW or more of power.

• Heating up the house using servers might be a solution, but it's a noisy solution. I consider this a very good option for people with hearing problems, since they won't be bothered by the noise.

How are you... online?

• Ports are automatically revoked when a mismatching service is detected running. If you receive port 53, you HAVE TO run DNS on it. You CANNOT run whatever you want.

What if I multiplex the port?
    For example, port 53 could be DNS for everyone else, but VXLAN for myself.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Have you taken ambient temperature measurements with the system under full load to be certain your house will reach your desired temperature?

• @foxone said:

ROFL +1

• @vish said:

@foxone said:

ROFL +1

https://bit.ly/sunnyROFL

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:

@vish said:

@foxone said:

ROFL +1

https://bit.ly/sunnyROFL

@yoursunny u'r cockblocked on this post !

• 1 euro per month ?

• dfroedfroe Services Provider
    edited November 2022

@yoursunny said:

we are watching you

it-df.net: IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• @Alexer said:
    I'm worried about data security, I think it's illegal, if I bought your service, I probably wouldn't build a website.

Data is encrypted using a very strong cryptographic key which is stored in ram only. If somebody steals the server, they'll have to steal the key from my brain.

@jugganuts said:
    usb hard drives and 20 uplink... what could go wrong.

Usb hard drives have been running for two years with no downtime as a CDN origin, usb protocol is switched to UAS which is pretty much transforms the connection into SCSI (but while still using the physical usb cable).

@willie said:
    20 megabit shared uplink? Lol. The few hundred watts from the machine will not heat your house somewhere. I do know someone who heated his house with bitcoin mining, but he had a big setup in the era when gpu mining was profitable. He was probably using 10KW or more of power.

Power consumption full load (disk included) 65w, idle or doing few things 15-20w

@root said:
    Heating up the house using servers might be a solution, but it's a noisy solution. I consider this a very good option for people with hearing problems, since they won't be bothered by the noise.

The system is pretty much fanless.

@yoursunny said:

Ports are automatically revoked when a mismatching service is detected running. If you receive port 53, you HAVE TO run DNS on it. You CANNOT run whatever you want.

You'll have to pass on my dead body.

@rogerwilco said:
    Have you taken ambient temperature measurements with the system under full load to be certain your house will reach your desired temperature?

No

@cold said:
    1 euro per month ?

I think it's a fair price after all

The system has already been built and looks like this:

• 1€ Per what? Month ? Year? Lifetime ?

Why?

• @jmaxwell said:
    1€ Per what? Month ? Year? Lifetime ?

Month

• @foxone said: I was astonished by what c1v... Calin has done, and i was thinking: if he can do it, why can't i?

:p

• A new category of LowEnd emerges: winterhost

On topic, will there be offsite (kitchen cabinet) pendrive backups as paid addon?

Thanked by (3)ralf FrankZ someTom
  • @foxone said:

@jmaxwell said:

Month

That's a ripoff. You must be thinking we are rich or something to order NAT at 1 EUR per month. We got bills to pay too.

Scalway offers IPv6 with all ports for half that price. And Calin (your model inspiration) literally has an offer on LES frontpage with $5.5/year. :smile:

Thanked by (1)pikachu

How are you... online?

• @foxone said:

@jmaxwell said:

Month

Naah
    We get pretty decent KVM VPS with dedicated IPv4 for equal or even less than that price

Why?

• probably should take a look how freeshell.de setup their server

Thanked by (1)ehab

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• 32GB for the entire node? :o

How many users are you planning to put on this thing?

• edited November 2022

Also it might be fanless, but the HDD noise will drive you crazy when you're trying to be asleep. What you save in heating costs, you'll spend on earplugs.

• @Encoders said: freeshell.de

Oldschool!

Reminds me of the good ol' IRC days :smiley:

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @TheDP said:

@Encoders said: freeshell.de

Oldschool!

they're still active. sdf.org too

Thanked by (1)TheDP

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• edited November 2022

@TheDP said:

Oldschool!

I just logged into good ole' half forgotten polarhome.com shell.
    It's impressive to see zoli still run all those ancient boxes since 2000 or something.

Thanked by (1)TheDP
  • @Encoders said:

@TheDP said:

Oldschool!

they're still active. sdf.org too

Yeah I can still see some users IRC'ing from SDF boxes.

Thanked by (1)Encoders

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• What would be the price with a dedicated IPv4? Expected?

Sign up at Dynadot [aff], spend $9.99 within 48 hours, and get $5.00 DynaDollars for domain registrations!