Looking for a Alternative for Hetzner Storage Box

Hi,

As the topic says can anyone suggest me an alternative for Hetzner storage box because their network & disk performance sucks. I need to use this as a mountable instance for my plex server which i am using it in another Dedi. since i am not a tech geek should easily mountable.
1-2Tb would do the job. mountable with SAMBA/CIFS would be preferred. have an open budget & can paid monthly basis.

Thanks

Comments

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited November 2022

Yup, speed has been on the low end over the past... well, over a year in my experience.

Having said that, I'd be surprised to find better alternatives, even at double the Hetzner price (hoping to be wrong).

For one, the data integrity has been rock-solid (not to be underestimated for storage).
    Also, Hetzner announces any maintenance in advance, and sticks to the deadlines they note. Good and prompt communication.

It is my understanding that Storage Box is intended for dumping stuff (saving off site).
    Yes, I'd love to see higher download (and upload) speeds.
    But it's still not a deal breaker, considering the other good stuff, including the still affordable pricing.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Maybe try liteserver.nl

10/10

Thanked by (1)Sanjue007
  • all eyes to @servarica_hani

Thanked by (2)Sanjue007 bdl
  • How about Microsoft 365 Family as an alternative? (1TB Onedrive/account, up to 6x)
    Mountable with rclone

Thanked by (1)Sanjue007
  • @shadowban said:
    How about Microsoft 365 Family as an alternative? (1TB Onedrive/account, up to 6x)
    Mountable with rclone

Any tutorial to how to do it?

• @Sanjue007 said:

Not tutorial per se but the documentation is a good start to see if it works.

https://rclone.org/onedrive/
    https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/

I'm personally using a systemd unit to mount an encrypted onedrive for Plex

• @shadowban said:

@Sanjue007 said:

I have tried onedrive + rclone for Plex but speeds were horribly slow.

• @dosai said:

It has been working for me just fine, but I only have a small number of concurrent streams at any given time.
    Did you play around with vfs and other options for the mount?

I just did a quick, non-representative test (copy from mount to local)
    Transferred: 931.842 MiB / 931.842 MiB, 100%, 19.581 MiB/s, ETA Os

• @shadowban said:

@Sanjue007 said:

Do they have api limit like on gdrive?

• @jcolideles said:
    Do they have api limit like on gdrive?

You mean like the 750GB/24h limit on gdrive?
    I am not aware of the actual limit, but they definitely do throttle above certain number of api calls and or bandwidth used.

Onedrive is NOT a replacement for the good ol' unlimited gdrive, also cannot use it as such.

I've been carefully throttling my uploads, fiddling with vfs cache, chunk size and whatnot and in return my 3 encrypted mounts with a total 1.5TB have been running fine for well over a year.
    But it's roughly EUR 50-60/y so for me it's worth the extra attention it needs to avoid the ban hammer.

YMMV

• @shadowban said:

@dosai said:

It has been working for me just fine, but I only have a small number of concurrent streams at any given time.
    Did you play around with vfs and other options for the mount?

I just did a quick, non-representative test (copy from mount to local)
    Transferred: 931.842 MiB / 931.842 MiB, 100%, 19.581 MiB/s, ETA Os

--vfs-cache-mode minimal --vfs-read-chunk-size 128M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G

I used this config with gdrive and never had issues. Yeah can't really compare with Google.

• @dosai said:
    --vfs-cache-mode minimal --vfs-read-chunk-size 128M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G

I used this config with gdrive and never had issues. Yeah can't really compare with Google.

Well gdrive is more of a set and forget kind of deal that is for sure.

My mount options are the following but i'm sure there's a stupid mistake (or five) in there:

--allow-other \
      --allow-non-empty \
      --vfs-cache-mode full \
      --vfs-read-ahead=256M \
      --vfs-read-chunk-size=64M \
      --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=512M \
      --buffer-size=128M \
      --user-agent "ISV|rclone.org|rclone/v1.60.0" \
      --poll-interval=45m \
      --dir-cache-time=1h \
      --timeout=10m \
      --drive-chunk-size=8M \
      --umask=002 \

Thanked by (1)dosai
  • skorupionskorupion Services Provider

Get google workspace, and use rclone. Seems to work decent, especially if you have direct peering to google

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• HostHatch has storage, I run my media server off of a few HH storage VPS + one of their compute VPS. Works great! Can also do the same thing with Servarica since they have private networking themselves.

Thanked by (1)servarica_hani
  • @skorupion said:
    Get google workspace, and use rclone. Seems to work decent, especially if you have direct peering to google

This is stupid. For anyone reading this thread, Don’t do it if you like your brain cells and your data.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@bikegremlin said:
    Yup, speed has been on the low end over the past... well, over a year in my experience.

Having said that, I'd be surprised to find better alternatives, even at double the Hetzner price (hoping to be wrong).

For one, the data integrity has been rock-solid (not to be underestimated for storage).
    Also, Hetzner announces any maintenance in advance, and sticks to the deadlines they note. Good and prompt communication.

It is my understanding that Storage Box is intended for dumping stuff (saving off site).
    Yes, I'd love to see higher download (and upload) speeds.
    But it's still not a deal breaker, considering the other good stuff, including the still affordable pricing.

I noticed that it's actually way faster if you tunnel through a Hetzner Cloud VPS in the same DC. From Hetzner Cloud -> Storage Box, I was able to push 1G down/up

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• williewillie OG
    edited November 2022

I've never gotten 1G between storage box and a Hetzner dedi but I haven't tried recently. Maybe they upgraded Storage Box. Main alternative I know of in anything like that price range is Servarica, or some Hosthatch promos. BF is coming so that might be a good time to look for an HH offer. I have 2TB with them at $60/year. That's a bit more per TB than storage box, but it is in a VPS which is more flexible, so it is pretty good.

Thanked by (1)servarica_hani