Terrahost old BF deal review

I have their old LXC BF deal for 9.99E/year. Good but with few drawbacks.

1. As they do not officially sell LXC anymore, they try to push you to KVM line if you face problems with LXC container.
  2. My VPS was used as wireguard server. Few times a year they upgrade LXC node as well as kernel. And of course they fck up wireguard module and wireguard become unusable. You must contact support.
  3. Now support. Today I contacted them with the kernel problem and received back a generic, L1 type reply "we will pass this to our admins" and that L1 drone requested a root password! from me. That was very unprofessional from unmanaged VPS provider. I was shocked. After 5 hours with no response and critical problem fix I canceled server.

In the end, ~15 months used that tiny server. 7 tickets fired in that period. Almost all of them was about that fckin wireguard kernel module. Today I have moved to oracle free tier and succesfully enjoying performant server.

Do I recommend Terrahost for prod? Yes. They are good enough at the moment. Just push away those L1 drones and get to talk to L2/L3 if support case is emergent.

Comments

• edited November 2022

I don't know why, but my terrahost Norway lxc vps for 198.00 NOK / 19,49 USD / year actually isn't all that stable at all. I experience network blips on a regular basis.
    Last short downtime was 13 hours ago but it wasn't network issue, because I was able to power it back again within their Enigma control panel.

Another downside is that there are only two distros available (wtf. is this?), Centos and Ubuntu, and even those two aren't the latest.
    As much as I want, I don't see this vps production ready.

• I have the same BF deal with LXC container

I used there Ubuntu template then installed the Nyr script for wireguard and ran into the same issue of it not working.

Open a command prompt .. you have to create the dev object

mkdir /dev/net

mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200

I have had no issues with wireguard working since

Thanked by (1)legendary
  • LXC is a nightmare.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

honestly thought the LXC was for free giveaways. had one , no debian , no use for it.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny FrankZ

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I'd love to see a nice @terrahost KVM deal in Norway this BF/CM/something 😎 :#

• Terrahost is quite good. Problem is they increased prices by 10%. Having datacenters in European Union more price increase might be expected as we dive into recession. Unfortunately, this is just what European Union wants; so it's not actually Terrahost fault.

How are you... online?

• @root said: so it's not actually Terrahost fault.

TH now feeds from EPIK hand, so Europe problems should not impact so heavily, amortization is here. What bothers me, that EPIK will decide to push hard on ROI. Than that 10% increase will become yearly event for next 5 years until imminent collapse or restructure into B2B sector.

• @legendary said:

@root said: so it's not actually Terrahost fault.

TH now feeds from EPIK hand, so Europe problems should not impact so heavily, amortization is here. What bothers me, that EPIK will decide to push hard on ROI. Than that 10% increase will become yearly event for next 5 years until imminent collapse or restructure into B2B sector.

In current worldwide situation... 5 years is a very long time to predict things. I cancelled a lot of servers from renewal, which I was donating, just because I can't predict what will happen in 3 months (not to mention a year). Things are escalating week by week. So this, combined with European decisions regarding energy and economic sanctions (new target is China), makes that 10% have sense. My household electricity bill has also increased, and I had no saying in it. Tough times ahead.

How are you... online?

• terrahostterrahost Hosting ProviderOG

@legendary said:
    I have their old LXC BF deal for 9.99E/year. Good but with few drawbacks.

1. As they do not officially sell LXC anymore, they try to push you to KVM line if you face problems with LXC container.
    2. My VPS was used as wireguard server. Few times a year they upgrade LXC node as well as kernel. And of course they fck up wireguard module and wireguard become unusable. You must contact support.
    3. Now support. Today I contacted them with the kernel problem and received back a generic, L1 type reply "we will pass this to our admins" and that L1 drone requested a root password! from me. That was very unprofessional from unmanaged VPS provider. I was shocked. After 5 hours with no response and critical problem fix I canceled server.

In the end, ~15 months used that tiny server. 7 tickets fired in that period. Almost all of them was about that fckin wireguard kernel module. Today I have moved to oracle free tier and succesfully enjoying performant server.

Do I recommend Terrahost for prod? Yes. They are good enough at the moment. Just push away those L1 drones and get to talk to L2/L3 if support case is emergent.

Hey, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Its been a busy few weeks for us. There is a reason for why we discontinued the LXC lineup, which is issues with kernel modules, unstable images etc.

Rest assured you will always get the first available L2/L3 tech if you call us. We answer 24/7 and I would recommend perhaps calling our Norwegian number +47 33 80 88 00 as most of our techs are in Norway.

@Mumbly said:
    Last short downtime was 13 hours ago but it wasn't network issue, because I was able to power it back again within their Enigma control panel.

We just had maintenance on our hosts which may explain this:
    https://terrahoststatus.com/maintenance/d6df0482-b3c1-4da6-9f3b-c498ac646973

Another downside is that there are only two distros available (wtf. is this?), Centos and Ubuntu, and even those two aren't the latest.

For some reason, debian has not run stable on our servers, so we decided to remove it. Updating the templates are planned for next week.

@root said:
    Terrahost is quite good.

Problem is they increased prices by 10%. Having datacenters in European Union more price increase might be expected as we dive into recession. Unfortunately, this is just what European Union wants; so it's not actually Terrahost fault.

We have no price increase planned, and most certainly will not do an annual increase unless its absolutely necessary. In this case we've had huge electricity bills for months plus inflation and increased prices on parts, all at once.

• edited November 2022

TerraHost is awesome.
    I happily switched from LXC to KVM, and no problems occurred.

MicroLXC is lovable.