Post-BF (Buyer's Remorse Tuesday) VPS giveaway

edited November 2022 in Free Offers and Stuff

Who wants a free VPS???

Hey you lovely people! Since I got myself a shiny dedi over the weekend (ironically not with a BF discount), I now have a few VPS that I no longer need and wanted to offer them here rather than at OGF. Mostly because there's a better chance it'll go to someone who won't abuse it.

Cost

• Technically free, but next time you see someone in need, help them out; perhaps you could give a homeless guy a few bucks or buy them a coffee, or donate a small sum to your favourite charity, give something to your local food bank or clothes bank, whatever, just be nice to someone
  • Pushups are not a valid form of payment for these servers

The following severs are available:

AdvinServers (Astro Special) - $11.99 /m

renewal due 18 December 2022

Randomized CPU (8 vCores) (Ryzen 9 5950X fair share)
32GB DDR4 ECC Memory
250GB NVMe/SATA SSD
8TB Bandwidth (1 Gbps)
Located in Amsterdam, NL
Advanced DDoS Mitigation
$11.99/month
GB5 score: 5659
https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/102078/#Comment_102078

HostCram KVM-3C - $21 Quarterly

renewal 26 December 2022

3 vCPU Core (i9-11900K) (fair share)
3 GB DDR4 RAM (Dedicated)
70 GB NVMe SSD Storage
3 TB INAP Bandwidth @ 1 Gbps Port
1 Dedicated IPv4
$21 Quarterly / $84 Yearly (Recurring)
Note that this is NOT the Black Friday offer - it's a bit more expensive, but has more SSD
Also note that you have to cancel at least 5 days before renewal
GB5 score: 4190
https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/179962/killer-core-kvm-3c-21-quarterly-windows-4g-10-month-hostcram-llc-i9-11900k-in-dallas-tx/p1

Server Factory AMD RYZEN™ S - € 39,50 /6m

renewal 29 December 2022

CPU: 1 Core / 2 Threads (Ryzen 9 5950X, 2 dedicated threads)
RAM: 8 GB
STORAGE: 100 GB
UPLINK: 1 Gbit/s
UNMETERED INCOMING TRAFFIC
Outgoing Traffic: 8 TB per month
IPv4: 1
IPv6: /64 Subnet
79,00 € 39,50 € / semi-annually exclusive VAT, if you are from the EU, VAT applies
GB5 score: 1565
https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/3957/50-off-ryzen-epyc-vds-nl-alipay-btc-cc-pp-unmetered-incoming-traffic/p1

Rules

• Only open to LES members whose account is older than 3 months and at least 10 non-spammy posts
  • Please only claim a server if you are genuinely interested in continuing the service and want to give it a couple of weeks to test, or if you missed out on the original offer
  • If you just want something to abuse for a couple of weeks, please don't bid. If you just want to scalp it, definitely do not bid. All these providers are excellent, and they deserve more respect
  • I have contacted @Advin, @mxmla and @Shakib respectively for permission to do a transfer
  • Maximum 1 win per person
  • You have until Wednesday 30 November 23:59 UTC to state your interest
  • Winners will be determined using @yoursunny style beacon rather than first come, first served
  • If you win, you need to have an account registered with the provider, and PM your email address with 24 hours so that I can raise a ticket for the transfer

How to claim

• Post ONE of the following messages in this thread
    # I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ LUCKY DIP
    # I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ ADVIN
    # I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ HOSTCRAM
    # I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ SERVER FACTORY

Determining the winner

• I'll be getting a source of randomness from the first beacon after Thursday 1 December 00:00 UTC (unix time 1641945600), will post further details once I've stolen it from @yoursunny figured out how to get it right
  • It seems the NIST beacon is still broken, it'll take longer for me to work out which round of the CF beacon I'll need, but I'll update before the deadline, once I've figured it out
  • I'll be using this command line to choose the winner: BEACON=xxxxxxx ; for i in user1 user2 user3 user4 user5 ; do echo -n "$i-$BEACON" | sha1sum - |sed -e "s/-/$i/" ; done| sort (but substituting xxxxx and user1 etc) and using the top results
  • I will choose the top 3 sorted results
  • From these, where they have indicated a preference, the earliest in the sorted results will win their preferred server
  • Anyone in the first 3 sorted results who expressed lucky dip will be given a server from those remaining, in the order Advin, HostCram, Server Factory
  • If there are still unallocated servers (because multiple people had a preference for the same machines), there will be additional rounds for each unallocated server
  • For each server, all those who expressed a preference for it, along with an equal number of people from the lucky dip pool, will enter a raffle and the top result after sorting using the string "$i-$srv-$BEACON" followed by SHA1 will win, where srv will be adv, hc or sf
  • The lucky dip candidates will be taken from the sorted results in the first round in order, and will only be entered into one lucky dip round, unless there aren't enough, in which case the list will wrap around
  • I hope to announce the results around noon Thursday 1 December 12:00 UTC, assuming I haven't made it so complicated for myself that I completely fail
  • Anyone who hasn't PM'd me within 24 hours will forfeit the server, and I'll choose the next lucky dip winner from the sorted list

Why is it so complicated?

Choose one:

• Beats me
  • I didn't want to do any work this morning, so I made up these stupid rules instead
  • I wanted to make sure that people who specifically wanted one of the servers had a reasonable chance of getting it
  • I wanted to make sure that people who chose lucky dip also had similar odds of winning as those who chose a particular server

Comments

• @ralf said: Only open to LET members whose account is older than 3 months and at least 10 non-spammy posts

Maybe LES members also

• @tetech said:

@ralf said: Only open to LET members whose account is older than 3 months and at least 10 non-spammy posts

Maybe LES members also

Was supposed to be LES, I've fixed it up now!

Thanked by (2)tetech FrankZ
  • I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ SERVER FACTORY

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ ADVIN

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ LUCKY DIP

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ HOSTCRAM

Thanked by (1)Shakib
  • JabJab
    edited November 2022

I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️RALF

(aka bump)

Thanked by (3)ralf yoursunny bdl

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• @superyuluo said:
    I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ HOSTCRAM

Sorry, but the offer is only open to LES members whose account is older than 3 months and at least 10 non-spammy posts.

• I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ ️RALF

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • edited November 2022

# I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ ADVIN

• @dazar said:

I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ ADVIN

Sorry, but the offer is only open to LES members whose account is older than 3 months and at least 10 non-spammy posts.

• @ralf said:
    It seems the NIST beacon is still broken

It appears to be producing pulses today.

I talked to the designer of the NIST Randomness Beacon in 2019.
    Their recommendation is selecting multiple beacons and mixing their results.

However, I'm uncertain what's the best way to proceed when a beacon suddenly went offline.
    I'll ask them again when I have a chance.

Thanked by (1)ralf

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Thank you. <3

• I know what you mean. I've two "not for me" hosts after this. Which is disappointing to say the least.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @tarasis said:
    I know what you mean. I've two "not for me" hosts after this. Which is disappointing to say the least.

Actually, I've nothing against any of these providers, they're all amazingly good. If I wasn't consolidating them all to a dedi, I'd probably keep them all.

They're all among the best providers I've used so far - HostCram for outstanding single core performance, Server Factory for cheap dedicated cores for a bargain price, and Advin for crazy high memory and many cores. They've all been very solid with great network speeds, although Advin was slightly less appealing to me because of the extra latency from their tunnelled networking. Reliability on all 3 systems was excellent.

Thanked by (2)FrankZ tarasis
  • @tarasis looks rich and is laughing .. he shouldn't get anything for free.

Thanked by (3)yoursunny ralf vyas
  • Also FWIW, I've got another system from someone else that I've got another 6 months on, but I've relegated it to "tertiary borg backup destination" and while it's been more stable recently, I still don't really trust the company to still be around at the end of the term. I'm going to let it lapse rather than inflict it upon someone else! :D

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • very kind of you ralf

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero ralf
  • tarasistarasis OG
    edited November 2022

@ehab said:
    @tarasis looks rich and is laughing .. he shouldn't get anything for free.

I wish. Been a stay at home parent for 16 years, as kids are now old enough I'm retooling to try and be a front end web developer (in a former life, before kids, I was a software engineer).

The photo is from one my happiest moments in the last 10 years, doing improv with a group. Rewarding experience.

And I never asked for anything for free.

• @ralf said:

@tarasis said:
    I know what you mean. I've two "not for me" hosts after this. Which is disappointing to say the least.

Actually, I've nothing against any of these providers, they're all amazingly good. If I wasn't consolidating them all to a dedi, I'd probably keep them all.

My apologies for sullying your thread. At the time I read the title and not really the first post, so took the "buyers remorse" and ran with it.

What you are doing is great, and a lovely "paying it forward" gesture.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ ADVIN

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero

I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ SERVER FACTORY

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero Shakib
  • I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ SERVER FACTORY

Thanked by (1)ralf

Why?

• edited November 2022

@tarasis said:

@ehab said:

I wish. Been a stay at home parent for 16 years, as kids are now old enough I'm retooling to try and be a front end web developer (in a former life, before kids, I was a software engineer).

The photo is from one my happiest moments in the last 10 years, doing improv with a group. Rewarding experience.

well said. i can understand all that. Its not too late to start anything except those that are against nature for example a football player at age 50 .... And respect what did and trying to do
    i was trying to take off your pants but you held fast sO i need more help @vyas abd @Falzo come over :)

ps: from my side best wishes and you can ask for free/cheap vps in LES and LET... i do it all the time.
    until next time .. have fun

Thanked by (3)Falzo _MS_ tarasis
  • edited November 2022

@ehab said:

@tarasis said:

@ehab said:

well said. i can understand all that. Its not too late to start anything except those that are against nature for example a football player at age 50 .... And respect what did and trying to do
    i was trying to take off your pants but you held fast sO i need more help @vyas abd @Falzo come over :)

ps: from my side best wishes and you can ask for free/cheap vps in LES and LET... i do it all the time.
    until next time .. have fun

@tarasis don't listen to him. he's a beggar. you'd rather be a chooser!
    don't buy cheap unreliable sh*t, esp. when on a tight budget. it will only cost you twice and lot of time and headache on top.

now go and pick up that soap @vyas just dropped, will ya? ;-)

edit: sorry @ralf for a bit derailing.. very nice offers/deals and awesome idea to give them away like that, kudos! 💯

Thanked by (5)ehab _MS_ ralf vyas tarasis
  • edited November 2022

hahahahahh , feels like

Thanked by (5)Falzo _MS_ ralf AuroraZero bdl

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • @tssz2022 said:

@gomi said:

I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ LUCKY DIP

I LOVE FREE SERVERS ❤️ SERVER FACTORY

You were supposed to one post ONE of those messages, to indicate your choice. Also your account is not quite old enough.

@Ganonk said:

I LOVE @yoursunny <3 IPV9

Unfortunately, none of these providers officially support IPv9 yet, and none of the routes are particularly optimised for the South Pole. Probably the best option, if you win, is to raise a ticket and include a push-up video, and I'm sure they'll help you to arrange a suitable third party peering solution using an IPv6-IPv9 tunnel broker.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited November 2022