Free Alpine Linux Shell Accounts

Comments

• I am excited to try this. Thanks!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@princevladimir said:
    I am excited to try this. Thanks!

Hi @princevladimir!

Thanks for your post! Nice to meet you! Welcome to Low End Spirit!

We'd need to have your ed25519 ssh public key to give you an account. Also, since you are new, would you like to introduce yourself, please? Maybe you could tell us who you are and where you are from? What's your experience with Linux? And what would you like to do with your MetalVPS account?

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you! :)

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• I hope to try this .

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles Yes, I have login successfully too. Nice work, I'll value this accont =)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@jnbrwn said:
    I hope to try this .

Hi @jnbrwn!

Thanks for your post! Welcome to LES! It's great to meet you!

We need your ed25519 ssh public key to give you an account. Would you please post your key?

Also, since you are a new member, here's a great opportunity to share a little about who you are, where you are, your experience, what brought you to LES, and what you would like to do on the server.

Thanks again for joining LES and for posting here!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@tssz2022 said:
    I want one.

Hi @tssz2022! Welcome! Could you please post your ed25519 ssh public key? I haven't seen you around too much. Would you enjoy sharing with us a bit about who and where you are? How do you expect to use your account on the server? Thanks! Tom

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIMFiV6caOiSmACaBBdAstHxekXC6bJHszVud8hI6Qmw/ ed25519 256-121322

I'm from China.I'm interested in the Apline Shell .I want to play with and learn more about it.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

A song about how hot the server rooms can become if the air condition breaks down:

Thanked by (1)Nekki

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@tssz2022 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@tssz2022 said:
    I want one.

Hi @tssz2022! Welcome! Could you please post your ed25519 ssh public key? I haven't seen you around too much. Would you enjoy sharing with us a bit about who and where you are? How do you expect to use your account on the server? Thanks! Tom

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIMFiV6caOiSmACaBBdAstHxekXC6bJHszVud8hI6Qmw/ ed25519 256-121322

I'm from China.I'm interested in the Apline Shell .I want to play with and learn more about it.

Hi again @tssz2022!

Welcome to MetalVPS! Your Alpine Linux shell account has been provisioned.

The ssh port has been changed from port 22 to port 42365. You should be able to log in via IPv4 or IPv6 with your ssh key using a command something like:

ssh [email protected] -p 42365

When you have time, please post again to let us know whether you got in successfully.

Password login has been disabled, but your account still does have a password. You might need the password if we enable sudo. You can find your password in a file in your home directory. Please feel free to change your password.

Please remember, what's on the server is the default installation of Alpine 3.17 edge with Lynx browser added. Only the "main" repository has been enabled. Additions will happen as people want and need them.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to post here in this thread. However, when privacy is needed, you are welcome to send me a PM.

Thanks again for asking for an account!

Have fun on the server!

Best!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    If you have any questions at all, please feel free to post here in this thread. However, when privacy is needed, you are welcome to send me a PM.

You can enable mail command that allows user accounts to send email to each other.
    Internal mails do not require port 25 and cannot cause abuse.
    It's a more Unixy way than going through the forum.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:

You can enable mail command that allows user accounts to send email to each other.

Agreed! The main reason for going through LES is that using our forum provides the potential for everyone here to benefit and to participate. As you know, there's also what's left of talk and IRC. If you believe there might be any issue with conducting the Free Alpine Shell project discussions here at LES, please do let me know. As always, I will think carefully about anything you say. Thanks for always trying to be helpful!

Guys!

Does anyone else want a Free Alpine Linux shell account? We now have 9 accounts, and more are available.

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

@localhost said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @tarasis @localhost Could you guys each please post your ed25519 public key? Please check https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16158158/what-is-the-public-url-for-the-github-public-keys if you are concerned about posting your public key. But, if you prefer not to post your public key, it's okay to PM me. Thanks! :)

Here is my key:

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIAKXZUh0gmP00dsVfR24B9hm1J+XErwEdGwWjKmAhY7m DESKTOP-A9O8R0R
    Thanks @Not_Oles

Hi @localhost!

Welcome! Your account has been provisioned. You should be able to get in via IPv4 or IPv6 with

Your password is in a file that you will be able to see when you log in. Please change your password.

Please let us know when you successfully log in or if something happens that you cannot.

Have fun on the server!

Tom

@Not_Oles can login successfully. Will start exploring the Alpine range!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@localhost said:

@Not_Oles said:

@localhost said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @tarasis @localhost Could you guys each please post your ed25519 public key? Please check https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16158158/what-is-the-public-url-for-the-github-public-keys if you are concerned about posting your public key. But, if you prefer not to post your public key, it's okay to PM me. Thanks! :)

Here is my key:

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIAKXZUh0gmP00dsVfR24B9hm1J+XErwEdGwWjKmAhY7m DESKTOP-A9O8R0R
    Thanks @Not_Oles

Hi @localhost!

Welcome! Your account has been provisioned. You should be able to get in via IPv4 or IPv6 with

Your password is in a file that you will be able to see when you log in. Please change your password.

Please let us know when you successfully log in or if something happens that you cannot.

Have fun on the server!

Tom

@Not_Oles can login successfully. Will start exploring the Alpine range!

Thanks for your report! Delighted to have you with us!

Thanked by (1)localhost

• @Not_Oles said:

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:

Agreed! The main reason for going through LES is that using our forum provides the potential for everyone here to benefit and to participate. As you know, there's also what's left of talk and IRC. If you believe there might be any issue with conducting the Free Alpine Shell project discussions here at LES, please do let me know. As always, I will think carefully about anything you say. Thanks for always trying to be helpful!

Forum posts are useful for everyone to learn.
    PM may be replaced by mail command, which is more geeky.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• May I get one? DMed ssh keys

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Welcome @arifur!

It's great to meet you! Thanks for requesting an account!

Your MetalVPS Alpine shell account has been provisioned. You should be able to get in via IPv4 or IPv6 with something like:

If you wish, please help us get to know you better by sharing a little about who and where you are, your computer experience, and what you plan to do with your shell account.

Have fun on the server!

Tom

Thanked by (1)arifur

• edited December 2022

Thank you, Tom. I was able to login and change my password successfully. I work as a freelance web developer. I plan on using the shell account to experiment with alpine linux.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Hi Guys!

On our default install of Alpine 3.17 edge, who is a symlink to busybox. who seems to work with the -H flag at least enough to print headers, but who does not seem to list logged in users with the -a flag or without any flags.

The busybox who source linked below (the last of the listed references) doesn't seem to require coreutils, but maybe I missed something.

Would some kind soul please explain why who shows the headers with the -H option but doesn't show me and others besides me who may also be logged in?

Thanks!

Tom

fmt:~# which who
    /usr/bin/who
    fmt:~# ls -l /usr/bin/who
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            12 Dec 11 02:00 /usr/bin/who -> /bin/busybox
    fmt:~# who
    fmt:~# who -a
    fmt:~# who -H
    USER            TTY             IDLE    TIME             HOST
    fmt:~# apk info | grep coreutils
    fmt:~# apk info | wc
           84        84       940
    fmt:~# 

References:

BusyBox man page

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/600630/how-to-view-all-currently-logged-in-users-on-alpine-linux

https://askubuntu.com/questions/750876/how-to-replace-gnu-core-utilities-with-busybox

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Package_Keeper

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/coreutils/who.c

@arifur said:
    Thank you, Tom. I was able to login and change my password successfully. I work as a freelance web developer. I plan on using the shell account to experiment with alpine linux.

Hi again @arifur!

It's great that you got in! Thank you for posting to let us know!

By the way, I have a friend who is looking for a freelance web developer. She is a very nice person who has an established professional practice. I can't make any promises, but, if you post or PM your website, maybe my friend might be interested in utilizing your skills.

Please feel free to post here if you have any questions about your MetalVPS Alpine shell account.

Best wishes!

Tom

Thanked by (1)arifur

@Not_Oles said:
    Hi Guys!

On our default install of Alpine 3.17 edge, who is a symlink to busybox. who seems to work with the -H flag at least enough to print headers, but who does not seem to list logged in users with the -a flag or without any flags.

The busybox who source linked below (the last of the listed references) doesn't seem to require coreutils, but maybe I missed something.

Would some kind soul please explain why who shows the headers with the -H option but doesn't show me and others besides me who may also be logged in?

Thanks!

Tom

fmt:~# which who
    /usr/bin/who
    fmt:~# ls -l /usr/bin/who
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            12 Dec 11 02:00 /usr/bin/who -> /bin/busybox
    fmt:~# who
    fmt:~# who -a
    fmt:~# who -H
    USER            TTY             IDLE    TIME             HOST
    fmt:~# apk info | grep coreutils
    fmt:~# apk info | wc
           84        84       940
    fmt:~# 

References:

BusyBox man page

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/600630/how-to-view-all-currently-logged-in-users-on-alpine-linux

https://askubuntu.com/questions/750876/how-to-replace-gnu-core-utilities-with-busybox

https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Package_Keeper

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/coreutils/who.c

At line 123 of who.c, something makes getutxent() return null?

• Hello Tom,
    May I suggest podman. Unlike docker, podman does not require root privileges to run containers. Its great for experimenting with containers. I dont know how well it runs on Alpine Linux.

Wiki: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Podman

Thanks

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

@tssz2022 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@tssz2022 said:
    I want one.

Hi again @tssz2022!

Welcome to MetalVPS! Your Alpine Linux shell account has been provisioned.

The ssh port has been changed from port 22 to port 42365. You should be able to log in via IPv4 or IPv6 with your ssh key using a command something like:

When you have time, please post again to let us know whether you got in successfully.

Password login has been disabled, but your account still does have a password. You might need the password if we enable sudo. You can find your password in a file in your home directory. Please feel free to change your password.

Please remember, what's on the server is the default installation of Alpine 3.17 edge with Lynx browser added. Only the "main" repository has been enabled. Additions will happen as people want and need them.

Thanks again for asking for an account!

Have fun on the server!

Best!

Tom

Thk. I can login successfully. How to build a websites?

• @Not_Oles said:
    Accounts provisioned for @Fritz and @gomi. Login info sent via PM. Have fun! Best wishes! :)

thanks, cool one!

• Um is it still available?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!

@tssz2022 said: Thk. I can login successfully.

Hi @tssz2022! I'm delighted to hear that you could log in successfully. Thanks very much for letting us know!

How to build a websites?

Can you please share a little about what type of website you want to build? Thanks!

@Nubuki said:
    Um is it still available?

Hi @Nubuki! Nice to meet you! Yes, accounts remain available. Since some of us haven't yet had much chance to get to know you, maybe you might like to share a little about who and where you are plus also what you plan to do with your account? Thanks! Best wishes!

Hi @iaecm! Could you please share about what you are running on the server? It looks interesting! Thanks!

Thanked by (1)iaecm

• @Not_Oles said:

@Nubuki said:

Hi @Nubuki! Nice to meet you! Yes, accounts remain available. Since some of us haven't yet had much chance to get to know you, maybe you might like to share a little about who and where you are plus also what you plan to do with your account? Thanks! Best wishes!

I'm a college student from Nigeria

I'm thinking of trying out a Linux system that isn't Ubuntu, debian or fedora plus it seems fun

Teehee!

@Nubuki said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Nubuki said:

I'm a college student from Nigeria

I'm thinking of trying out a Linux system that isn't Ubuntu, debian or fedora plus it seems fun

Excellent! Wanna post or PM your ed25519 ssh public key? Thanks!

• Excellent! Wanna post or PM your ed25519 ssh public key? Thanks!

Pmed

Teehee!