Free Alpine Linux Shell Accounts

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@vyas said: Note: AI recognizes Not_Oles as young.

HI @vyas!

Thanks for your fun post! I am 75! And still having a lot of fun! :) So, maybe I still am young?

I remember a while back you posted something by chatGPT in the Cest Pit. That was the first I had heard about chatGPT. chatGPT's writing was so perfect that I wondered whether you had done the writing. I mean, your writing is perfect, and what's to prevent you from joking about chatGPT output? Well, since then I've seen more chatGPT output. It's really something!

Here's an interesting thread from HN about chatGPT: Tell HN: ChatGPT can reply like a specific Reddit or HN user, including you | Hacker News.

chatGPT is the dawn of a new age! :)

Cheers!

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Hi @Not_Oles

Never imagine that number in my head before (75).

Love your passion and spirit!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2022

@Fritz said:
    Hi @Not_Oles

He is on his second cycle of the all important number.

9 more years to move to third.

@Not_Oles saan,

Thanks for kind words about my writing.
    And I suppose
    My point was well reflected by chatGPT.
    !oles = young “Jack” from Noo York, now living la vida loca in May hi ko :-)

(Language butchered by intention- ironic, since my writing was praised in generous terms .. )

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Omg Tom. If that's your real age, you're older than my dad!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• edited December 2022

@Not_Oles said:

@yoursunny said:
    I notice that @Cloudie AS924 is an upstream of this server.
    Is it possible to obtain a (free) BGP session with AS924?
    I recently acquired a LowEndASN and RIPE says it cannot be idle.
    I'd like an LXC container, with its Ethernet adapter bridged to the physical port, to run a BGP daemon.

Hi @yoursunny! I don't know if it is possible to obtain a free BGP session with AS924. I am delighted to ask @Cloudie for you if you would like me to do so. He's pretty good about getting back to me. Would you like me to ask him? Best wishes! Tom

Yes please ask.

I already asked AS924 on Discord but was ignored…
    Their peering offer says to send coffee.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @Not_Oles said:
    @jmaxwell @sh97 @gomi Can you guys please post or PM your keys? Thanks!

sent in DM, please check

Why?

• @Not_Oles said:

@jnbrwn said:
    I hope to try this .

Hi @jnbrwn!

Thanks for your post! Welcome to LES! It's great to meet you!

We need your ed25519 ssh public key to give you an account. Would you please post your key?

Also, since you are a new member, here's a great opportunity to share a little about who you are, where you are, your experience, what brought you to LES, and what you would like to do on the server.

Thanks again for joining LES and for posting here!

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Tom

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIK0uESAZCIorFq9qnnJ4t4VhGBWKSHh4xvNghmcqQkyb ed25519-key-20221216
    I'm from Singapore.I'm interested in the Apline Shell .I want to play with and learn more about it.
    thanks

• @Not_Oles said:

Hi @majokko!

Welcome to MetalVPS' Free Alpine shell. Your account has been provisioned!

The ssh port has been changed from 22 to 42365. Using your ssh key, you should be able to get in via IPv4 or IPv6 with something like:

ssh [email protected] -p 42365

Your account also has a password. Password login has been disabled, but you might need your password if we implement sudo.

When you get a chance to try to login, please let us know whether login works for you.

I enjoyed the friendly message you wrote! Thanks for taking the extra time to provide the details! I hope you have fun on the server! Please don't hesitate to post any questions you have.

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Tom

thank you so much! i was able to login now :3 i got most of december free so i am mostly gonna drown myself into figuring things out and having fun with this. hopefully i wont break anything :p :p

• Nice project :)

I'd like to learn more about Alpine shell and also.... have fun of course.

Thanks.

May I use RSA pub key instead?

My RSA pub key:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDZDTb0bB3MyJEbXhIltb+lo86Fh+6pvIzbWfdGSs5i+4UN1AaBSlzn5PhMp1Co8bo2JXeWpUEW3EINUNgRaLfrj1pNBOOMy7OZ5u9UIiL/ynM9tuy/CrptIHgTmshmlUtZl81F2pnKuCxnJ+iSLCVRb+rGDBiU6mpzLIosAacnQK7v81Fj465bxolrvf/p37uTVSu8tEXcuyEKg7Frvfy1N0LP5j15Xu6kOg/Ry7QwoZz6hy7XeEgJTduSVOIGgRjajOceBpNcgteqySZ0ML48q+VBo+Uv6p/fSb88JiM5MO3Qp/30B+1BJornhnxsnduw832vW840ptK6bIUanRcH

@Fritz said:
    Hi @Not_Oles

Hi @Fritz! Thanks for your kind words! Yeah, I think I might be the oldest guy here, but one never knows. I wish you and everyone here many years of happiness! Have fun! Tom

@vyas said: He is on his second cycle of the all important number.

I think about the important number every day of every year. And especially when I use ssh! :)

Thanked by (1)vyas

@terrorgen said:
    Omg Tom. If that's your real age, you're older than my dad!

Please say hello to your Dad for me. Please tell him that I believe he should be very proud of himself, because be did a superb job of raising his child. :) If you do as well raising yours, there will be great happiness in the continuation of life! Best wishes and kindest regards to you and your family! <3

@curl said:
    Nice project :)

I'd like to learn more about Alpine shell and also.... have fun of course.

Thanks.

May I use RSA pub key instead?

My RSA pub key:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDZDTb0bB3MyJEbXhIltb+lo86Fh+6pvIzbWfdGSs5i+4UN1AaBSlzn5PhMp1Co8bo2JXeWpUEW3EINUNgRaLfrj1pNBOOMy7OZ5u9UIiL/ynM9tuy/CrptIHgTmshmlUtZl81F2pnKuCxnJ+iSLCVRb+rGDBiU6mpzLIosAacnQK7v81Fj465bxolrvf/p37uTVSu8tEXcuyEKg7Frvfy1N0LP5j15Xu6kOg/Ry7QwoZz6hy7XeEgJTduSVOIGgRjajOceBpNcgteqySZ0ML48q+VBo+Uv6p/fSb88JiM5MO3Qp/30B+1BJornhnxsnduw832vW840ptK6bIUanRcH

Hi @curl!

Nice username! Thanks for posting! If you do not mind, could you please share a little about who and where you are? Also your Linux experience? Plus, if there is a reason why you want to use an RSA key instead of an ed25519 key, may we please know what the reason is? Last, but not least, it would be great if you could share a little more specifically about what you want to do on the server. Thanks again!

Best wishes from Sonora!

Tom

Hello!

I think I might be all caught up with new account requests. If I missed anyone, please ping me again.

If any of my Chinese friends here are on NodeSeek.com, can you please give me a clue about whether I somehow could get an account there without Telegram? NodeSeek's sign up form asks for a Telegram invite, and I do not have Telegram.

Thanks everybody!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hello!

I think I might be all caught up with new account requests. If I missed anyone, please ping me again.

If any of my Chinese friends here are on NodeSeek.com, can you please give me a clue about whether I somehow could get an account there without Telegram? NodeSeek's sign up form asks for a Telegram invite, and I do not have Telegram.

Thanks everybody!

Tom

Hey you don't need a telegram account to register, just an email address!

@terrorgen

What does the line "我们的电报频道 @nodeseekc 会不定时释放邀请码,欢迎关注" mean?

Google Translate says it means:

Invitation code
    Our telegram channel @nodeseekc will release invitation codes from time to time, welcome to pay attention

So I was guessing I had to go to Telegram, get an invitation code, and enter that invitation code in the last string field on the page, just above the checkbox for Agree to Terms of Service Agreement.

Thanks for your help! It would be fun for me to learn more Chinese! :) I don't hardly know any. :)

• @Not_Oles said:

@19930618 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@19930618 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@19930618 said:
    I would also love to try one of the accounts. Thank you

Hey! Hello 19930618!

Glad to see you posting here! You're new here at LES, from April, and you only have visited a few times. Would you like, please, to introduce yourself by telling us a bit about who and where you are, your computer experience, and what you want to do on the server? Also, could you please post or PM your ed25519 public key? Thanks so much!

Best wishes!

Tom

Hi Tom!
    I come from China and now work in an Internet company.
    I'm interested in Alpine Linux Shell. Want to learn.
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAID9JLXkQwQ0KJ4cVI2tVeGVH6g1iIeLD++QXS5l7FN86 root@64301888a11a

Hi @19930618!

Welcome to MetalVPS! Your free Alpine Linux shell account has been provisioned!

The ssh port has been changed from 22 to 42365. You should be able to get in by IPv4 or by IPv6 with something like:

ssh [email protected] -p 42365

Your account also has a password, which you can find in a file in your home directory. You might need the password if we implement sudo. Please feel free to change your password.

Please post here to let us know whether you are able to log in.

I hope you have a lot of fun on the server!

Tom

Tom hi!
    I can't log in. The key should be correct.
    [email protected]: Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you cannot login!

• I double checked your home directory, .ssh subdirectory and the authorized_keys file. Everything seemed okay.

• I added my key to the authorized keys file, and I couldn't login as you either.

• I ran ssh with the -v flag, and there were a couple of lines that I haven't seen before.

So I still am looking into this. Having a clueless™ guy as admin isn't good sometimes. I will look around some more and see what I can learn. Apologies! And thanks for your patience!

Tom

If you've not yet fixed this, at a guess the .ssh directory is probably readable/writable by other users. Try chmod og-rwx ~user/.ssh

@ralf said: If you've not yet fixed this, at a guess the .ssh directory is probably readable/writable by other users. Try chmod og-rwx ~user/.ssh

Hi @ralf! Thanks for helping! Do the following permissions look okay? notoles ssh access works. ssh works for 16 additional users and for root. 19930618 access does not work.

fmt:~# cd /home
    fmt:/home# ls -alR 19930618/ notoles/
    19930618/:
    total 16
    drwxr-sr-x    3 19930618 19930618      4096 Dec 15 23:24 .
    drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root          4096 Dec 16 20:20 ..
    drwx------    2 19930618 19930618      4096 Dec 16 05:58 .ssh
    -rw-------    1 19930618 19930618        17 Dec 15 23:23 password

19930618/.ssh:
    total 16
    drwx------    2 19930618 19930618      4096 Dec 16 05:58 .
    drwxr-sr-x    3 19930618 19930618      4096 Dec 15 23:24 ..
    -rw-------    1 19930618 19930618       110 Dec 16 05:58 authorized_keys 
    -rw-------    1 19930618 19930618       198 Dec 16 04:32 authorized_keys-old

notoles/:
    total 16
    drwxr-sr-x    3 notoles  notoles       4096 Dec 12 01:15 .
    drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root          4096 Dec 16 20:20 ..
    -rw-------    1 notoles  notoles        102 Dec 16 19:51 .ash_history
    drwx------    2 notoles  notoles       4096 Dec 12 01:13 .ssh

notoles/.ssh:
    total 12
    drwx------    2 notoles  notoles       4096 Dec 12 01:13 .
    drwxr-sr-x    3 notoles  notoles       4096 Dec 12 01:15 ..
    -rw-------    1 notoles  notoles        480 Dec 12 01:13 authorized_keys
    fmt:/home# 

• edited December 2022

Having a numeric only ID might be the problem. Maybe ssh is interpreting it as a user ID rather than user name.

If you're really intent on having this, you might also want to change their user ID (probably 10xx currently) to the same as the username, but some programs might also assume a 16-bit maximum UID.

If you do want to change it, the easiest is to edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group manually, then do chown -R user:group /home/user.

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hello!

Thanks everybody!

Tom

Hello, Tom. I'm in nodeseek.com and can invite you to join, since every member in nodeseek will get one invite code for free if they registered via phone. There are many invite codes in their telegram channel, and I think the administrators of nodeseek won't mind I paste them here as they share invites codes in other places, too. Some codes may be used by others, so just try another if the code was used up.

64c7fa8deeae9cca  
    e533d9f6603d5e03  
    4555d9ebbfaf94ac  
    fab4bb4475325bfb  
    6b0c18ff9b6b8284  
    fee7639cbbd5453d  
    2c831288d3047cf9  
    9f223b1da3d9758c  
    d8e506cc56c98597  
    7da7739c50941c9a  
    9db1b777b83460f1  
    3adb320ea6f0beda  
    40ef9d97dad2f8d7  
    d804b07b7ad9b468  
    02f20012667866a8  
    4a3e80a0b0bf3dee  
    1d59f24a715e053a  
    ff006a4f24065590  
    c4823e038c3ae943  
    32250265f69dff6b  
    1b037f5b046016d9  
    6f334c8b3b4d52f4  
    4b024004f31d1c7c  
    bbda22929d34b18c  
    ad0494a5dc5f0774  
    54d2cd7abb9b639d  
    3a136b415f2e5c91  
    11158ffe047cee8e  
    10d5b4757469ca8a  
    3eb67456b5820809  
    110c30b677d18276  
    cb7a82aec92ee5d5  
    12d8afd876d69e4d  
    d98dec5e3ce7c25a  
    80939348aab6611c  
    c841bad80f7b8ecd  
    703b1d9ab667e62c  
    ece110cdf2156e13  
    c8abb088d860a9c6  
    d93df697a54ccf3d  
    157a8a1e41e0a715  
    17818ea2315797b5  
    348441190c796141  
    bd63186c3a16821c  
    97b0e1a77eb95470  
    44b9bb81728c9361  
    a8a247336ace6038  
    6b2f31f271a24541  
    3ab04d73e8eaa40a  
    0694bb6ce46032b8

Maybe I can ask administrators of nodeseek to send some official invite code here, if more people are interested in the newly founded community🤔.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@ralf said:
    Having a numeric only ID might be the problem. Maybe ssh is interpreting it as a user ID rather than user name.

If you're really intent on having this, you might also want to change their user ID (probably 10xx currently) to the same as the username, but some programs might also assume a 16-bit maximum UID.

If you do want to change it, the easiest is to edit /etc/passwd and /etc/group manually, then do chown -R user:group /home/user.

Yep! Now it gets even more interesting and fun!

I, too, wondered about the numerical ID. Well, that ID works here on LES. Still, maybe there is something about ssh, or about Alpine's musl libc.

The user sent me a second public key. The second key did not work either.

What I did next was to create an additional, new account with an alphabetic name. I gave that account the second public key that this user had supplied. I added my own key as the second line of the authorized_keys file. Wow! I couldn't get in! Then I removed the user supplied key, leaving just my own key in authorized_keys. Wow! Again I couldn't get in!

The user sent me the private key which corresponds to his second public key. I still need to try that set.

Another as yet untried possible solution is for me to make a set of keys and try them. If they work for me, I can send the newly made public and private key set to the user and ask him please to try.

Concievably there might be something about the user supplied keys that might not be valid?

But if I substitute just my own public key for the user's key, removing his key entirely, login still doesn't work for me with my own key. That seems really weird!

Just kidding around, but could we imagine a hacked ssh public key, a single use of which borked ssh forever for the account that used the hacked key? Again just kidding. . . .

Maybe I will next try creating a new account on the server with a new set of public and private ssh keys from my Chromebook. If the new key set works, then I could send them to the user and let him try them if he wants to do so.

Fascinating! Thanks again @ralf! Much appreciated!

• @Not_Oles said:
    @terrorgen

What does the line "我们的电报频道 @nodeseekc 会不定时释放邀请码,欢迎关注" mean?

Google Translate says it means:

Invitation code
    Our telegram channel @nodeseekc will release invitation codes from time to time, welcome to pay attention

So I was guessing I had to go to Telegram, get an invitation code, and enter that invitation code in the last string field on the page, just above the checkbox for Agree to Terms of Service Agreement.

Thanks for your help! It would be fun for me to learn more Chinese! :) I don't hardly know any. :)

Dang you are right! I missed that.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• I'd like to learn more about Alpine shell and have fun of course.
    Thanks.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

fab4bb4475325bfb

Hey @laecm! Thanks! I used the above code. It seemed to work! The translations in the screenshot are from Google Translate. But maybe I eventually will learn a little Chinese from this! Thanks again! <3

@rcdfrd said:
    I'd like to learn more about Alpine shell and have fun of course.
    Thanks.

Hi @rcdfrd!

Welcome to LES! Thanks for asking for a free Alpine shell account at MetalVPS fmt!

Since you have a very new account, would you like, please, to share with us a little about yourself, like who you are and where you are? Maybe you could please share about your Linux experience and also more specifically what you plan to do with your shell account?

Of course, to set up your account, we need your ed25519 public ssh key. So maybe you might want to share your key with us as well?

Thanks again for asking for an account! I wish you a good day! :)

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Tom

• @Not_Oles ,welcome and have fun here, my member name is "大帅哥" in nodeseek, which means "handsome guy" 🤣🤣🤣.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Hello! I am a little tired. I want to take a day off. Could folks please defer asking for new accounts for 24 hours approximately? Thanks! :)

@iaecm said:
    @Not_Oles ,welcome and have fun here, my member name is "大帅哥" in nodeseek, which means "handsome guy" 🤣🤣🤣.

233! :) :) :)

• It seems like this thread is responsible for the recent influx of new members, mostly from nodeseek.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@terrorgen said:
    It seems like this thread is responsible for the recent influx of new members, mostly from nodeseek.

I didn't know there was a large enough influx of new members to be noticeable. Tons of people join here all the time because LES is the best! <3

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin