Free i9-9900K Proxmox Accounts At Hetzner FSN1

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@adwsislife said:
    Hello
    Thanks for doing it for the community

I have used KVM and openvz7 in past. I am yet to try out LXC.
    Would love to get an experience of LXC VM :)

As mentioned in OP,
    Link to a post helping out someone :- This Post

Hi @adwsislife!

Thanks for your request. Welcome to MetalVPS! Could you please email the following items to the address on my profile:

• Name IRL
    • LES username
    • Address
    • Phone
    • Numerical IPv4 or IPv6 address which you want to use for your administrative access to the server
    • Linux distribution you want inside your LXC container

Best wishes from Sonora!

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@hotsnow said:
    Can I apply for one? thanks :)

Link to a post where helped someone:
    https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/109352#Comment_109352

Hi @hotsnow!

Thanks for your links and for your request which is under active consideration. When you have a chance, could you please post some additional links to posts here at LES where you were helpful to others? I will keep trying to give you an account.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Tom

Thanked by (1)hotsnow

@msatt said:
    I would enjoy having a play with Proxmox - I want to have a go at installing a PBX backup incase of emergency.
    Been on here a long time so hopefully lots of help.

Thank you for the kind offer @Not_Oles

Hi @msatt!

Thanks for your request and for your link! When you have time, could you please add to your request a few additional links to posts where you helped others? I will take a careful look at whatever you add to your request. I will continue trying to give you a MetalVPS account.

Tom

@buddermilch said:
    These i9 dedis are so good. I got one myself a week before christmas also running Proxmox. I wish everyone who gets an account much fun playing with it.

@Not_Oles did you install Proxmox through the install script or from iso?

Hi @buddermilch!

I installed Proxmox via installimage. The entire time from order placement through server delivery through completion of the Proxmox install took only a few minutes. Congrats to @Hetzner_OL for their super fast delivery and installation!

Hope you continue to enjoy your i9! I am sure you will!

Friendly greetings!

Tom

@cmeerw said:
    I'd like to join the fun (some helpful comments: here, here, here)

Hi @cmeerw!

Thanks for your request. I especially liked the second of your three links because you fixed a mistake I made.

So, welcome to MetalVPS in Falkenstein! Could you please email the following items to the address on my profile:

• Name IRL
    • LES username
    • Address
    • Phone
    • Numerical IPv4 or IPv6 address which you want to use for your administrative access to the server

Best wishes from Sonora!

Tom

@codelock said:
    I would also like to use this for a project I am working on , here is the time I was helping someone with seedbox queries https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/78146/#Comment_78146

Hi @codelock!

Thanks for your request! When you have time, could you please share some details of your project? Also, if you have a few additional links to posts here at LES where you were helpful to other members, it would be great if you could add the additional links to your request! I will keep trying to give you an account. :)

Thanks again! Best wishes!

Tom

@buddermilch said:
    BTW @Not_Oles consider limiting access to port 111 to localhost or known IPs because you will get funny abuse letters from the BSI (hetzner won't do anything but the BSI will send notices through abuse@hetzner all the time). It's listening to all addresses using the standard Proxmox config.

Thanks! :)

I took a look on Google and found some helpful links:

https://www.bsi.bund.de/EN/Themen/Unternehmen-und-Organisationen/Cyber-Sicherheitslage/Reaktion/CERT-Bund/CERT-Bund-Reports/HowTo/Offene-Portmapper-Dienste/Offene-Portmapper-Dienste.html

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/170998/hetzner-offene-portmapper-dienste

https://www.bsi.bund.de/EN/Themen/Unternehmen-und-Organisationen/Cyber-Sicherheitslage/Reaktion/CERT-Bund/CERT-Bund-Reports/cert-bund-reports_node.html

@tridinebandim said:
    i helped the communitty in different ways such as;
    trying to lure koofr to make a special offer: https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/105931#Comment_105931
    provided lots of guy gal gifs for @nekki and for the blackfriday cybermonday thread
    making some crayz low price offer suggestions to provider threads...

but maybe the most useful one: https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/96700#Comment_96700

Hi @tridinebandim!

Thanks for your contributions to the LES community! Thanks for your request! Please allow me some time to consider.

Tom

Thanked by (1)tridinebandim

• edited January 2023

Hope I too get qualified: https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/118486#Comment_118486 (created for users to help them track the offers)
    Thanks for your contribution :smile:

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Kaito said:
    Hope I too get qualified: https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/118486#Comment_118486 (created for users to help them track the offers)
    Thanks for your contribution :smile:

Hi @Kaito!

Thanks for your request! Welcome to MetalVPS!

Could you please email the following items to the address on my profile:

• Name IRL
    • LES username
    • Address
    • Phone
    • ed25519 ssh public key

Best wishes from Sonora!

Tom

Hi @yoursunny!

I really, really, really wanna say "not enough," just as a joke, for fun. :) But, if I did say "not enough," you would just list ten more, or more than ten more, or many more than ten more! :)

I believe I already might have the info I need to make you a container on the i9-9900K. Hope I can make it correctly, or at least, if I don't, that you catch and correct all my mistakes. I will be in touch, eventually.

Thanks so much for all your wonderful contributions to our community and to the future of internet networking! <3

Best!

Tom

@quartz09 said:
    I've wanted to have a look at Proxmox for quite a long time and this would be an ideal opportunity. Thanks (even if you don't accept me).

This is only my second post here but the first one could maybe be considered helpful:
    https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/111522/#Comment_111522

Hi @quartz09!

Thanks for your request. Welcome to MetalVPS! Could you please email the following items to the address on my profile:

• Name IRL
    • LES username
    • Address
    • Phone
    • ed25519 ssh public key

Best wishes from Sonora!

Tom

Hi @toumi111!

• Name IRL
    • LES username
    • Address
    • Phone
    • ed25519 ssh public key

Best wishes from Sonora!

Tom

Thanked by (1)toumi111

Hi @iaecm!

Thanks for your request. You are an awesome guy! I am super delighted to have you on my servers! Could you please email the following items to the address on my profile:

• Name IRL
    • LES username
    • Address
    • Phone
    • Linux distribution you want inside your LXC container if other than Alpine
    • ed25519 ssh public key if other than the key I already have

Always best wishes from Sonora! :)

Tom

Hi Guys!

A small update:

• Let's Encrypt certificate installed for web GUI

• Cluster and node firewalls set up and enabled

• Node timezone changed to UTC

• Node updated, upgraded with apt-get

• Container templates downloaded to node cache

root@Proxmox-VE /var/lib/vz/template/cache # ls
    almalinux-9-default_20221108_amd64.tar.xz  gentoo-current-openrc_20220622_amd64.tar.xz
    alpine-3.17-default_20221129_amd64.tar.xz  opensuse-15.4-default_20221109_amd64.tar.xz
    debian-11-standard_11.6-1_amd64.tar.zst    rockylinux-9-default_20221109_amd64.tar.xz
    fedora-37-default_20221119_amd64.tar.xz    ubuntu-22.04-standard_22.04-1_amd64.tar.zst
    root@Proxmox-VE /var/lib/vz/template/cache # 

• Bridge vmbr0 added

• Unprivileged test container 100 created with Ubuntu 22.04

• Test container has WAN IPv6 connectivity

• Test container updated and upgraded with apt-get

• openssh-server started

• ssh server tested by logging in via IPv6 using @Not_Oles' public key

• @yousunny public key added to test container in case he wants to help test

• Test container is very strong.

root@ct100:~# free -m
                   total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           65536          90       64416           0        1029       65445
    Swap:           2048           0        2048

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

@yoursunny said:
    Test container is very strong.

root@ct100:~# free -m
                   total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           65536          90       64416           0        1029       65445
    Swap:           2048           0        2048

@yoursunny Seems like you might be done testing. Do you want to do anything more with the test container? Thanks for helping! :)

Hello!

I added the first account and its container today. Maybe I also got the 16 TB hard disk set up today, but I haven't tested it yet.

@yoursunny is still credentialed on the test container, so the node now has two containers in total. When @yoursunny is finished testing, I will take back the test container and give him his own container if he still wants it.

Probably I might add another new account or two tomorrow and then maybe another one or two the next day. Several people are waiting. Thank you guys for being patient!

Friendly greetings!

Tom

P.S. Is it too crazy to get an EX100 or even an RX220? Both of these are expensive. Anybody want to go in with me? Thanks!

Thanked by (1)toumi111

root@Proxmox-VE ~ # lxc-attach -n 102
    ~ # ls -l /mnt
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          4096 Jan 10 03:01 hdd
    ~ # df -h /mnt/hdd
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/vg1-vm--102--disk--0
                            983.2G     32.0K    933.2G   0% /mnt/hdd
    ~ # date > /mnt/hdd/tomwashere
    ~ # cat /mnt/hdd/tomwashere
    Tue Jan 10 03:06:47 UTC 2023
    ~ # 

Thanked by (1)Advin

• You can delete the test container already.

I just tried Docker.
    It works, but the crummy /128 means Docker networking will not work properly.
    Can you setup routed /112?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• Proxmox Virtual Environment, I haven't try it before.
    I think I shoud learn something about it.
    Let me in if possible. =)

https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/5054/free-alpine-linux-shell-accounts/p13#Comment_122062

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@yoursunny said:
    You can delete the test container already.

I just tried Docker.
    It works, but the crummy /128 means Docker networking will not work properly.
    Can you setup routed /112?

Thanks for helping test! The test container has been shutdown. It will get deleted and replaced, maybe tomorrow.

It would be very helpful if you could please explain briefly why Docker networking does not work with the on-link /128.

I am delighted to try setting up routed /112 for you! Thanks for asking! Indeed, maybe it might be better if all the containers got routed /112?

Setting up routed containers with Proxmox might take me awhile because I have not tried it before.

If you want to speed things up, one way would be to provide a hint or a link about how to do it. I took a quick look and found routed lxc setup.

Another way to go faster would be to ask for administrative access to the node and set it up yourself. But I am equally happy to try it all by myself.

It is getting a little late here, so I will be sleeping before too long. I am expecting a wonderful day tomorrow! Because, hopefully, I will be able to learn a little more. I send you friendly greetings! :)

@subenhon said:
    Proxmox Virtual Environment, I haven't try it before.
    I think I shoud learn something about it.
    Let me in if possible. =)

https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/5054/free-alpine-linux-shell-accounts/p13#Comment_122062

Hi @subenhon!

It's been a pleasure to have you on the Fremont server! I am delighted to add you on the Proxmox server as well!

For the Proxmox server I do try a little harder to complete my "due diligence." Therefore, would you please email the following to the address on my LES profile?

• Name IRL
    • LES username
    • Address
    • Phone
    • ed25519 ssh public key

It might take me a while to add you, because I am going slowly, but I look forward to it! Thanks for asking!

Best wishes from Sonora!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    P.S. Is it too crazy to get an EX100 or even an RX220? Both of these are expensive. Anybody want to go in with me? Thanks!

I think it'd be really cool to play with the RX220, but practically I don't think it's a sensible choice at all.

AFAIK, there's no way of doing full virtualisation, so the only way would be using docker-style containers, so I personally would be very suspicious about putting any kind of user data on there even if you did try to segregate people, and honestly it's not worth paying out the cash to play with unless you're going to do anything actually useful with it.

As you can get 4 cores of ARM free on Oracle, that's probably the most sensible route in if you really want to play with ARM...

• @Not_Oles said:
    It would be very helpful if you could please explain briefly why Docker networking does not work with the on-link /128.

Docker doesn't have good IPv6 support.
    In my deployments, I give a public IPv6 address to each container, which is the least amount of fuss.

docker network create --ipv6 \
      --opt com.docker.network.bridge.name=d0ipv6 \
      --subnet=172.26.0.0/16 --subnet=2001:db8:e3af:d2af:1100:d0d0::/112 \
      ipv6exposed
    docker run -it --rm --network ipv6exposed alpine

Indeed, maybe it might be better if all the containers got routed /112?

Yes, give each LXC container the largest allocation you could afford.
    If the physical server has /64, each LXC container should get /80.

Setting up routed containers with Proxmox might take me awhile because I have not tried it before.

The manual setup is adding these to a script:

ip neigh add 2001:db8:e3af:d2af:1100::1 lladdr f2:2a:57:ab:1b:a6 dev brlink
    ip route add 2001:db8:e3af:d2af:1100::/80 dev brlink via 2001:db8:e3af:d2af:1100::1 onlink

If the physical service doesn't have routed IPv6, you also need ndpresponder to turn the onlink subnet into routed subnet.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• This is a great project!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:
    So, welcome to MetalVPS in Falkenstein!

Thanks, managed to log into my container now.

One tiny little thing I noticed is that the pre-installed /etc/resolv.conf contains 2 IPv4 nameservers and 1 IPv6 nameserver. However, as the container is IPv6 only, those IPv4 nameservers aren't that useful, so should probably be removed ("host" actually doesn't automatically fall back to the IPv6 nameserver)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@cmeerw said:

@Not_Oles said:
    So, welcome to MetalVPS in Falkenstein!

Thanks, managed to log into my container now.

One tiny little thing I noticed is that the pre-installed /etc/resolv.conf contains 2 IPv4 nameservers and 1 IPv6 nameserver. However, as the container is IPv6 only, those IPv4 nameservers aren't that useful, so should probably be removed ("host" actually doesn't automatically fall back to the IPv6 nameserver)

Hi! Thanks for mentioning the nameserver issue. Another issue is, your container was made before I added the hard disk to the node. Probably we can add the hard disk to your container if you want? Anything more, please let me know! Nothing is too small or too little. I want everything as close to perfect for you as possible! Thanks again!

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@ralf said:

@Not_Oles said:

I think it'd be really cool to play with the RX220, but practically I don't think it's a sensible choice at all.

AFAIK, there's no way of doing full virtualisation, so the only way would be using docker-style containers, so I personally would be very suspicious about putting any kind of user data on there even if you did try to segregate people, and honestly it's not worth paying out the cash to play with unless you're going to do anything actually useful with it.

As you can get 4 cores of ARM free on Oracle, that's probably the most sensible route in if you really want to play with ARM...

There's a fork of Proxmox for Raspberry Pi's, I wonder if it'll run on those RX220 servers:
    https://github.com/pimox/pimox7

But yeah, Oracle Cloud already does free ARM instances to play with, and getting 2 x AX101's is the better value.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

I am a representative of Advin Servers

@yoursunny said: Docker doesn't have good IPv6 support.

May I please ask what are the most significant IPv6 support features which might be improved or added to Docker?

Also, might it be better for you to run your Docker container directly on the i9 server node rather than inside LXC?

I'm 100% okay with the /112 subnet deployment. Nevertheless,

• assumiing the goal is to have one WAN IPv6 address for your LXC container and another WAN IPv6 address for the Docker container that you make inside your LXC container,

• could this be set up with two IPv6/128 addresses both talking to the node and with each other in the link layer?

Thanks, as always, for your helpful comments! When I get a chance, I will try setting up the /112 on a new container for you. When we get your /112 working, then everybody can have a /112.