Warning: NexusBytes Deadpool Imminent, MOVE YOUR DATA

edited January 2023 in Industry News

Was on OGF and saw this post from @Jord, looks like things have taken a turn for the worse at NB.

This isn't a post that I wanted to write, however it has become abundantly clear to me both via this thread and my communication (or lack thereof) with Jay that this isn't an issue that I can solve on my own.

I joined NexusBytes when Jay began to experience personal issues some time ago, things for the most part were going well, tickets were being responded to and services were remaining stable. I did not gain access to core systems, only the ticket system for which I could reply to tickets.

I just found out that some of the UK servers with Zare had not been paid, and this is why they are currently offline. I am unaware of the specifics of this, both directly with Zare and any other potentially affected providers as I was never given the right access to manage them. I've tried everything to get in contact with Jay, to get him to pay for the servers, but unfortunately, that has failed.

I'm beyond sorry and regretful that this has happened, the situation overall was difficult to navigate and I did not want to push for access to things that Jay was not comfortable with sharing. In hind sight, this was a mistake.

I would recommend taking any backups you can, while your servers are online. For any other affected customers whose services may already be offline, I will continue to try and contact Jay to see if we can get these back online.

Once again, I do apologise, but only having access to one system, is preventing me from being able to resolve this matter.

If I can help in anyway please let me know, I will try my best.

Thanks,
Jord

Comments

• If he isn’t paying the bills at Zare you’d think it’d be the same for all the other locations

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Thread title updated to include "Possible" until more details come to light or other servers take a dive as well.

Thanks for spreading the word. Hope this turns around.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• Hide yo kids.
    Hide yo wife.
    Order your Chinese food.

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Jay was kind to me! I am so sorry to see this news! <3 Like Mason, I hope the situation turns around. Whatever happens, I will remember Jay fondly. I believe Jay has a good heart and good intentions.

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee imok

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• hostdoc'd ?

the end is nigh

Thanked by (1)cybertech

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Mason said:
    Thread title updated to include "Possible" until more details come to light or other servers take a dive as well.

Thank you! For what its worth, Zare are staffed by upstanding folks and seem to be willing to power on the servers again so customers can move their data. I do wonder what this means for people like @MannDude who colo with NB (if they still do)

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • MannDudeMannDude Hosting Provider

@fluttershy said:

@Mason said:

Thank you! For what its worth, Zare are staffed by upstanding folks and seem to be willing to power on the servers again so customers can move their data. I do wonder what this means for people like @MannDude who colo with NB (if they still do)

Never coloed with them, just rented dedis. I moved all our stuff with Worldstream direct last year. The lack of responses and weeks to get new nodes online was impacting my business.

Jay is a friend but I told him I can get the same hardware, under the same roof, for less money, and within 24hrs. It was a business decision. He offered to price match but I left anyway, as it wasn't about the money. Much happier with Worldstream direct.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

[ IncogNET LLC ] - Privacy By Design
    We believe that privacy and freedom of expression are two very important things, so we offer solutions to accessing and publishing content safely.
    [ USA: Liberty Lake, WA | Kansas City, MO | Allentown, PA ] [EU: Naaldwijk, NL ] [ CL Shared | KVM VPS | VPN | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names ]

• @MannDude said:

@fluttershy said:

@Mason said:

Never coloed with them, just rented dedis. I moved all our stuff with Worldstream direct last year. The lack of responses and weeks to get new nodes online was impacting my business.

Jay is a friend but I told him I can get the same hardware, under the same roof, for less money, and within 24hrs. It was a business decision. He offered to price match but I left anyway, as it wasn't about the money. Much happier with Worldstream direct.

That's great to hear, was worried for how you'd be impacted by all this. Glad to see you made the right choice for your business :)

Thanked by (1)MannDude
  • @corbpie said:
    If he isn’t paying the bills at Zare you’d think it’d be the same for all the other locations

We're halfway through the month, I bet a lot of stuff will go down by the end of January. Those are generally the billing dates providers prefer. If you have anything in other locations, now is a great time to make backups.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Wishing the best for NexusBytes! Hope things get sorted.

Thanked by (2)debaser AlwaysSkint
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2023

I had reduced my visits to OGF, thanks @fluttershy

Nothing better than a Monday Morning early Warning rather than a End of Week Drama. I had three sites on NB / SW, all migrated out.
    @jord, wishing you well mate, you held the fort well.

Jay wherever you are/ do well. @seriesn

• @vyas said: Nothing better than a Monday Morning early Warning rather than a End of Week Drama.

Wrong. It is nothing better to finish of week with a glass of noble drink and a good, multi-page, multi-thread drama. Sometimes (well, all the time) you must enjoy while other suffers from their ignorance and stupidity.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2023

Yup, this is much more fun. The "complimentary" 2 GB Email. Fortunately migrated out tad too soon

Cleaned out my "Backup" storage NAT from Nexus, for the record, before a clean install this afternoon,

$ uptime
    05:14:56 up 838 days, 20:26, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I can live with such uptime for similar period

• edited January 2023

Now I regret not grabbing a second mxroute package at BF, given the previous rumors about Nexus's status.
    Sad to see @MichaelCee s Smallweb probably going down.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint Ympker
  • @benz said:
    Now I regret not grabbing a second mxroute package at BF, given the previous rumors about Nexus's status.
    Sad to see @MichaelCee s Smallweb probably going down.

Has @jarland not been paid either?

• As I was the starter of the thread on the OGF - I will also copy my latest comment.

As the Original Poster, hearing @Jord's comments I feel that @seriesn / Jay appears as someone who does not care.

I totally appreciate that there have been serious background issues but there has also been plenty of time to put a plan in place to mitigate these. Yes it is business, but it is not business to keep on taking money and knowingly deciding to not provide a service - using a well known mjj expression - it is fraud.

I do appreciate that this could be a simple mistake but not responding to Jord or DP shows a much deeper problem.

This has been ongoing and I did read the long thread about problems, but Jord did step in and things did settle so I decided to renew my sub.

As far as I am concerned NB should be given 1 week (7 days) to give a proper response and if none is forthcoming (or satisfactory) then we should really call this deadpool.

May I also thank @Zare for the offer of backups. Luckily I do have my own.

So I am sorry Jay (english expression) - you have burnt your bridges and your friends.

• @webcraft said: Has @jarland not been paid either?

No idea at this point what @Jord has control over and what not.
    Portal is behind cloudflare, who knows if the billing panel isn't on servers that aren't getting paid either.

• I wonder if @jarland will offer refugee transfers, for the ex-SmallWeb deals. :|

Thanked by (1)benz

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• NexusBites Dust

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

Why?

• edited January 2023

My Shared Account on them is still running good without any problems.

I have moved my sites though as precautions.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I wonder if @jarland will offer refugee transfers, for the ex-SmallWeb deals. :|

I'm starting to think that I should offer some refugee plans also, tho stealing customers from nexusbytes feels kinda bad

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@skorupion said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    I wonder if @jarland will offer refugee transfers, for the ex-SmallWeb deals. :|

I'm starting to think that I should offer some refugee plans also, tho stealing customers from nexusbytes feels kinda bad

don't hate the player hate the game. NB also offered refugee deals iirc.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @Zare said:
    All servers are spinning back up for you to take any backups if * you need to. I'll provide until Friday 1PM GMT, hopefully we hear from NB between now and then, but if not that will be the final termination date.

Quote from OGF, temporary (most likely) online - migrate stuff ASAP.

Haven't bought a single service in VirMach Great Ryzen 2022 - 2023 Flash Sale.
    https://lowendspirit.com/uploads/editor/gi/ippw0lcmqowk.png

• Thanked by (3)xor FrankZ bikegremlin

How are you... online?

• bdlbdl OG
    edited January 2023

@AlwaysSkint said:

oh sheet, I forgot about SmallWeb, thanks for the heads up - will run a backup. Can probably kiss my credit there goodbye - will have to wait to see what happens to my domain hosted with them.

• Oh, dear! I have no services with @seriesn, but I remember him as a kind and entertaining person on the forums. I really hope the best for him and that he is doing well (health-wise). A pity (and maybe more) for his customers, of course, but I cannot imagine him "running away" on purpose. Fingers crossed!

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• Recommendations to migrate?

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@imok said:
    Recommendations to migrate?

Depends on what you want to migrate

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

• @imok said: Recommendations to migrate?

Antarctica.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)