If you just got a dedi and its HDD failed, how long is too long to wait for a replacement?

Just asking for a friend :)

A failed HDD, the spinny crap, server just got provisioned, and I had to notify them that the drive is out.

How long would you say is an acceptable amount of time to wait for a replacement?

This is not in an area affected by any geopolitical tension, inclement weather, and there's no shortage of spinny crap on the market. The only downside is it happened on a Friday 4PM for that datacenter location, so I don't know if they were like "let the night guy handle it". Point is, weekend...

You just read my signature.

Comments

• Hetzner offer replacements 24/7/365 and when I needed one in the middle of the night (2-3am) it was done in less than 30 minutes. Honestly impressive.

• @honestlybruv said:
    Just asking for a friend :)

A failed HDD, the spinny crap, server just got provisioned, and I had to notify them that the drive is out.

How long would you say is an acceptable amount of time to wait for a replacement?

This is not in an area affected by any geopolitical tension, inclement weather, and there's no shortage of spinny crap on the market. The only downside is it happened on a Friday 4PM for that datacenter location, so I don't know if they were like "let the night guy handle it". Point is, weekend...

Generally an hour or two, but a lot of factors matter. Is it from a reseller? If so, they need to ticket their upstream, who then needs to ticket DC hands. If they colocate hardware, they might try to schedule hands daily so they don't have to pay $100 to get your $20 server's drive swapped.

Thanked by (1)honestlybruv
  • @fluttershy said:

Generally an hour or two, but a lot of factors matter. Is it from a reseller? If so, they need to ticket their upstream, who then needs to ticket DC hands. If they colocate hardware, they might try to schedule hands daily so they don't have to pay $100 to get your $20 server's drive swapped.

Oh ok that's a new perspective. They're utilizing Internap so then definitely a reseller.

So if they go the scheduled hands daily route that means there's also a possibility that they don't schedule anyone on the weekends?

• This is where hosting with a reseller gives a bit of disadvantage because you have a middle man to communicate.

Normally, if you are hosting directly with a company, hardware replacement is as simple as file an emergency request and it will be done in an hour or two regardless of time. A DC generally has a staff 24/7.

With a reseller though? Could be hours.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• edited February 2023

Hetzner - 25 minutes
    Online.net - Forever, then canceled

This is my experience :D I guess normal time would be in 3 hours?

Thanked by (2)honestlybruv lemoncube
  • I have some exp with OVH. A HDD replacement took around 30 minutes.

• @Amadex said:
    Hetzner - 25 minutes
    Online.net - Forever, then canceled

This is my experience :D I guess normal time would be in 3 hours?

I looked at online.net as well, good to know :)

• edited February 2023

So I'm at 10 hours right now, which means I'll give them another 14 to say I gave them 24 hours (1 day) if they're going the scheduled hands route to save money.

But after that it's chargeback time since their policy is to not offer prorated refunds upon cancellation which I also don't quite understand. I get that someone walked over to a rack and put whatever OS I requested on it, but if the product never made it to me, how can I appreciate it? And if covering setup cost is the concern maybe charge a non-refundable setup fee instead? Tough spot for a reseller, especially if remote hands is $100/h or something.

• A proper DC has staffs on salary. A remote hand costing 100/h is nonsense.

But, if it is a reseller and has his own hardware in a DC, then a remote hand costing 100/h does make sense.

Thanked by (2)honestlybruv yoursunny

• @honestlybruv said: They're utilizing Internap so then definitely a reseller.

So Inernap needs the request from your reseller first, and then it depends on what SLA your reseller has with Internap to get the replacement done. Even just you to the reseller and the reseller to Internap could take hours. Did the reseller give the right information to Internap the first time and so on? Then it's the weekend and other factors.

So many variables that could be affecting your replacement that you don't know as you can't see them.

• edited February 2023

@Lee said:

@honestlybruv said: They're utilizing Internap so then definitely a reseller.

So Inernap needs the request from your reseller first, and then it depends on what SLA your reseller has with Internap to get the replacement done. Even just you to the reseller and the reseller to Internap could take hours. Did the reseller give the right information to Internap the first time and so on? Then it's the weekend and other factors.

So many variables that could be affecting your replacement that you don't know as you can't see them.

Agreed, that was my thought before opening this thread since I don't actually run a DC from my house =) I'm trying to see what is an appropriate amount of time to wait before I take my business elsewhere.

• deankdeank OG
    edited February 2023

It may have gone down like this.

OP: HDD dead. Replace.

Reseller to Inernap: HDD dead. Replace. (Copy & paste).

Inernap: Which HDD? Which server? Actually, who are you?

*** An hour passed at this point. ***

Reseller: It's me. Reseller #666. HDD dead. Replace.

Inernap: Ok, I know who you are now. Which server now?

Reseller: Client threatening to sue. HDD replace, plz.

Inernap: misunderstands You are suing us? We not talking to ya.

*** 2 hours passed at this point. ***

Reseller: No, no, it's mi client. Replace HDD PLZ!!!

Nap: WHICH SERVER?!

Reseller: Oh, it's ... Actually, need to ask client.

*** 4 hours passed at this point. ***

Thanked by (2)honestlybruv yoursunny

• @honestlybruv said: I'm trying to see what is an appropriate of time to wait before I take my business elsewhere.

24 hours. For a drive replacement, I consider that too long but you can't ignore the man in the middle delay.

• @deank said:

=) I can see that happening.

• @honestlybruv said:

@deank said:

=) I can see that happening.

Hate to say this but this is spot on for most resellers. Notice I said most there are good ones around that know what information to give to get the job done as easily and smoothly as possible.

Most of the times it is like the above and that's why some people even if they have money need to stay out.

• 35 seconds. They should know before you do.

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero crunchbits
  • AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

OVH and Hetzner have been great, under 15-30 min for drive replacements.

ReliableSite took 12 hours, request was filed at night (like 8PM EST) but they claim to have 24/7 remote hands for stuff like this on the site.

Psychz took like 3-4 days for a drive replacement.

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• @deank said:
    A proper DC has staffs on salary. A remote hand costing 100/h is nonsense.

But, if it is a reseller and has his own hardware in a DC, then a remote hand costing 100/h does make sense.

$100/hour is pretty standard. Barely anyone runs their own DC these days. Generally if a host has more than one location, they're not going to have their own staff in each.

• @honestlybruv said:

@Lee said:

@honestlybruv said: They're utilizing Internap so then definitely a reseller.

Agreed, that was my thought before opening this thread since I don't actually run a DC from my house =) I'm trying to see what is an appropriate amount of time to wait before I take my business elsewhere.

Who's the reseller? Would be interested to know.

edited February 2023

@fluttershy said:

@deank said:
    A proper DC has staffs on salary. A remote hand costing 100/h is nonsense.

$100/hour is pretty standard. Barely anyone runs their own DC these days. Generally if a host has more than one location, they're not going to have their own staff in each.

Well, it depends on how many servers they have in each location. Some small hosts have their own staff in multiple locations as long as those locations are big enough to justify the cost.

• Alright finally got a new drive.

Final verdict: It took this host 22 hours and 2 minutes to swap a failed drive.

• One word: Move away.

Okay, that was two words.

• Brand new server.
    NVMe failed in less than a week.
    We haven't paid for the contract (it's NET30 terms).

I email the vendor who assembled the server.
    I included complete information, serial number, diagnose reports, what happens if I swap parts into another server of the same model.
    Reply came within one business day.

Vendor emails Intel the manufacturer.
    Vendor sent replacement via FedEx and emailed return shipping label.
    Replacement came in three days.
    I install and test the drive, working again.
    Old drive is mailed back to Intel.

Up and running again in five days, research process delayed and all data lost.
    Well, I moved my research to another server of the same model, and there's nothing important on the drive.
    However, I turned on all the remaining servers and kept them running for two weeks, hoping to detect any other failures.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Offline.net, can take 6 hours ish, Kimsufi 60 minutes tops, Hetzner 10 ish.

• @Neoon said:
    Offline.net, can take 6 hours ish, Kimsufi 60 minutes tops, Hetzner 10 ish.

The one failure I had with Offline, it took maybe 30 mins for them to swap drives. Not terrible tbh.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited February 2023

@fluttershy said:

@Neoon said:

The one failure I had with Offline, it took maybe 30 mins for them to swap drives. Not terrible tbh.

They used to swap servers, instead of disks.
    For me it took 6 hours ish, to get it replaced.

@Neoon said:

@fluttershy said:

@Neoon said:

They used to swap servers, instead of disks.
    For me it took 6 hours ish, to get it replaced.

I think it depends on the server model and how much stock they have.
    If they have a lot of those older Atom configurations available, it might be more economical to swap rather than to just replace the disk.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

it depends. heard from a friend.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.