Stripe Pricing Changes

MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
edited February 2023 in General

Just saw about this.

https://support.stripe.com/questions/pricing-updates-for-businesses-in-the-united-kingdom

Starting 10 April 2023, fees for card processing, disputes, and USD currency payouts will be higher due to increases in network costs (in recent years, major card networks have introduced several new fees and increased existing fees), as well as increases in underlying service costs.

Processing: An extra 0.1-0.5% increase for UK, 0.35% increase for international.
Disputes: £15 fee turns to £20 fee and no refunds regardless of outcome.

And lots of other little changes. Probably different documents available for your local area.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

Comments

• Thanked by (1)ehab

Dentistry is my passion

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Chievo said:

True dat.

I am not that bothered about it yet as long as the fixed fee stays the same

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • Was just a matter of time when they started the little fees for everything model.

For some odd reason they seem to believe that currency will all go digital. Won't happen in my lifetime.

Thanked by (1)NVMeNetworks
  • @AuroraZero said:
    Was just a matter of time when they started the little fees for everything model.

For some odd reason they seem to believe that currency will all go digital. Won't happen in my lifetime.

so true, adding more fees wont help them, they will just get less people using em

• It's calculated. They know so many customers are ingrained, and are too arsed to switch processors or anything. They just eat it.

• @NVMeNetworks said:

@AuroraZero said:
    Was just a matter of time when they started the little fees for everything model.

so true, adding more fees wont help them, they will just get less people using em

Well the problem consists of the world economy about to take a big dumper. As the currency becomes worth less and less because the prices of things going through the roof they have to do something.

Employees need money for the necessities of living. They will not take a pay cut themselves and if they out right raise prices people will find alternatives since they are not getting a raise in wages either. So the naggling little fees for everything come into play in the hopes most people will not notice and will continue on.

This applies to almost any retail situation from the restaurants to the dollarstore.

• Yep, comes down to greed at the end of it all from the big stores to the people behind these companies

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero
  • @NVMeNetworks said:
    Yep, comes down to greed at the end of it all from the big stores to the people behind these companies

Sure it does ut it is higher up then even the stores.

Shell gas stations here in the U.S. had record breaking profits last year. Now I realise not every one in the world lives here but in the U.S. you damn near have to own and drive a car. It is almost a life neccessity anymore. You can not find work in most places unless you drive 20-50 miles to get to a city, because where you live the wages are low and the rest is high.

So it goes way higher then just the store anymore.

I think we should take this private or open another thread before we derail this one too much farther.

@MichaelCee I apologise for hijacking your thread.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@AuroraZero said: @MichaelCee I apologise for hijacking your thread.

You do you boss. I realised all of my threads here are always ads and this year I'm putting a little bit of effort in to posting other things too (even if they are stolen borrowed). The thread is yours to do as you wish :smile:

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero ralf
  • @MichaelCee said:

@AuroraZero said: @MichaelCee I apologise for hijacking your thread.

You do you boss. I realised all of my threads here are always ads and this year I'm putting a little bit of effort in to posting other things too (even if they are stolen borrowed). The thread is yours to do as you wish :smile:

Nah they aren't ALL ads and I appreciate the leniency none the less.

• This is an ad.

The end is nigh.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• edited February 2023

@deank said: This is an ad.

1-900-END-NIGH

Thanked by (1)tjn
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2023
  • mannenmannen Hosting Provider

Some options such as SEPA Direct Debit, iDEAL are still ok from a price perspective, especially for larger payments.

RIPE LIR

• VirMachVirMach Hosting Provider
    edited February 2023

@MichaelCee said: Disputes: £15 fee turns to £20 fee and no refunds regardless of outcome.

This is hilariously bad. It was already pretty nefarious for companies to jump on the no refund of fees on refund bandwagon, now they're going to pretend as if they're adding some insane value by doing a terrible job at dealing with disputes, as if it's not just a one minute glance and button press. Over half the time it's just some basic automatic if/then logic. Even if you just choose to lose it by default and dd no extra work for them.

@shallow said:
    It's calculated. They know so many customers are ingrained, and are too arsed to switch processors or anything. They just eat it.

It's all very coordinated at this point, anti-competitive behavior. Not literally but most companies will just immediately take any cash grab they can and create the future they want by pretending that's where the industry is headed. Who do you switch to if everyone you switch to is a few months away from implementing the same thing?

Sadly not even only with payment processors anymore.

Thanked by (1)adly
  • A PMSing customer files a dispute out of spite, fully knowing that it will cost you 20 regardless outcome.

Yeah, that's fucked.

Thanked by (1)adly

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Stripe has one of the worst fraud protection.

• They will refund your clients without your permission.
    • They will not match the billing address and card address and allow the transaction.
    • They will allow stolen cards to use on their network.
    • They will eat your hard-earned money in the name of a chargeback fee.
    • Their Radar is dumb and has a 0% human IQ to identify frauds.

Small businesses should avoid Stripe and use local payment gateway instead.

Thanked by (1)ralf

STROMONIC.COM - Web Hosting, Reseller, Managed WP, VPS, GPU & Dedicated Servers!
    Data Centers: India, Finland, Canada, Bulgaria, United States
    Custom Quotation: [email protected]

• We've had a huge card testing problem with Stripe, the worst part is you end up footing the bill for the fees when we refund said payments after there radar doesn't detect it.

We are currently looking to move to https://www.opayo.co.uk which seems reasonable fee wise and comes recommended

• nullroutenullroute Hosting Provider

You've been Stripped.

https://purplehost.com.br - Reliable, secure and affordable game hosting.

• mannenmannen Hosting Provider

@AaronEUGameHost said:
    We've had a huge card testing problem with Stripe, the worst part is you end up footing the bill for the fees when we refund said payments after there radar doesn't detect it.

We are currently looking to move to https://www.opayo.co.uk which seems reasonable fee wise and comes recommended

You can mandate 3DS on your card payments, that shifts the risk from you.
    Also look at Radar insurance, it's 0.4% extra but Stripe bears all cost for chargebacks.

RIPE LIR

• I shall take a look at this shortly thank you for your suggestion

• @mannen said:
    Some options such as SEPA Direct Debit, iDEAL are still ok from a price perspective, especially for larger payments.

iDeal is only relevant in The Netherlands and SEPA just in Europe, but also mainly DACH and Benelux.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited February 2023

@AaronEUGameHost said:
    We've had a huge card testing problem with Stripe, the worst part is you end up footing the bill for the fees when we refund said payments after there radar doesn't detect it.

We also used to have this problem quite a lot, and had to tank quite a few chargebacks. Some credit card fraudsters even had the audacity to open tickets asking why their credit was removed or to expedite their order after the payment was disputed (they're not the brightest people)

Here's what we did:

We implemented Stripe Checkout. Stripe Checkout is a payment page for Stripe payments (i.e. it redirects you to stripe.com to complete the payment). This comes with complete fraud protection. If they somehow don't detect a fradulent payment, Stripe will pay for the chargeback out of pocket. The bonus of this is that you also can accept other payment methods like AliPay. There is no existing WHMCS module for it, and sadly I can't share ours for various reasons, but DeploymentCode will likely make you one. The bonus of this method is that it also can allow clients to pay with non-3DS methods like Visa gift cards.

For our Stripe legacy gateway (the one that comes with WHMCS), all new cards have 3DS enforced. We have Stripe rules which detects if a customer is adding or using the card for the first time, and if they are, it makes them go through 3D secure for the payment to be processed. It checks if the card has been used or added before.

So far, this method has pretty much blocked all card testing, to my knowledge, and I haven't gotten any disputes for payments after implementing these requirements. (Well, there was one instance, but it was through Checkout so we got reimbursed!)

Thanked by (2)adly AaronEUGameHost

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@mannen said:

@AaronEUGameHost said:

Also look at Radar insurance, it's 0.4% extra but Stripe bears all cost for chargebacks.

From what I can tell, the insurance only works on Stripe Checkout pages (and I believe the Stripe WHMCS integration doesn't count)

Thanked by (1)AaronEUGameHost

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• @Advin said:

@mannen said:

@AaronEUGameHost said:

From what I can tell, the insurance only works on Stripe Checkout pages (and I believe the Stripe WHMCS integration doesn't count)

Thank you your response, i appreciate your input! I shall send them an email =)

• @AaronEUGameHost said:

I've encountered the same problem, have you tried enabling invisible captcha at checkout page ? I've enabled it my self and so far it's going well.

Thanked by (1)AaronEUGameHost
  • @Hostshield_LTD said:

@AaronEUGameHost said:

I've encountered the same problem, have you tried enabling invisible captcha at checkout page ? I've enabled it my self and so far it's going well.

Hey! I did the same thing a couple months back and it certainly stopped the automated card testing we were seeing.