Storage solutions

After my NB VPS is down forever, I did a little soul searching, plus Google is nagging me about my 15GB storage being 80% full and asking me to subscribe to their paid service...

I realized that what I really need is a storage solution + something like Google photos

What would you do if you were me?

Storage
  1. What should be my storage solution?32 votes
    1. Get Google One, 100GB is cheap $2/mo
      37.50%
    2. Move photos to Amazon Photo, I have Prime so this is already paid for
      21.88%
    3. Self host storage vps+next cloud (do I get to tag faces and search photos?)
      28.13%
    4. Get shell accounts on various metalvps machines and make a large storage pool
      12.50%

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Comments

• Before anyone started accusing me of abuse, please note that the last option is a joke.

• Selfhost. Not Nextcloud but Immich.
    I haven't tryed it yet, but it looks very promising.
    https://github.com/immich-app/immich

Filen.io - use this link to signup and we both get extra 10GB free.
    https://filen.io/r/4d472d5cdb57f6663621a251065e0b51

• @MGarbis said:
    Selfhost. Not Nextcloud but Immich.
    I haven't tryed it yet, but it looks very promising.
    https://github.com/immich-app/immich

It does look promising 🙂

• edited February 2023

Idrive mini is your best option.

$2.95/year for 100GB storage.
    Quit the hassle.

It has iOS and Android native app.

Their e2 line up is fasssttt!

• Seafile with iDrive e2 for storage. It's an awesome combo for performance and pricing

404 Error: Signature Not Found

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

For photos - iCloud is very practical for the not-tech-savvy users.
    For file storage - Hetzner Storage Box is pretty nice because it allows FTP and you have 0 worries about its maintenance and configuration.

Depending on your budget and how many people your storage serves (and how tech-savvy they are), your optimal choice may differ.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

1-2 years back I was in the same position. My Google free tier piled up and I moved all photos to unlimited Prime Photos and bought pCloud lifetime 500GB, where I moved all my stuff from GDrive. Haven't looked back :)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@Ympker said:
    1-2 years back I was in the same position. My Google free tier piled up and I moved all photos to unlimited Prime Photos and bought pCloud lifetime 500GB, where I moved all my stuff from GDrive. Haven't looked back :)

German president, Franz Beckenbauer, and Ympker enter a bar in Berlin and order a beer each.
    Who ends up not paying anything?
    Ympker - 'cause he got a lifetime service.

:)

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

Can the Idrive mini 100GB be mounted via rclone ?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• edited February 2023

If you have a friend at Microsoft - get Microsoft 365 Family Subscription for 20$ / year. 6 users and each gets 1TB which is roughly ~4 USD per year.

Install onedrive and let it backup camera. Plus it works with rclone - i/o is low but hey! its cheap and from a large enterprise which takes of redundancy and HA

Thanked by (1)terrorgen
  • @FrankZ said:

Seems so: https://www.idrive.com/e2/rclone

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

I pay for Google One and OneDrive, but mainly use Google One just for extra Gmail space and for Google Photos (iPhone backs up pics to Google Photos). Google space is quite fast, OneDrive isn't nearly as fast syncing from my exp. But both are pretty cheap.

Thanked by (1)terrorgen

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• @bibble said:

@FrankZ said:

Seems so: https://www.idrive.com/e2/rclone

Thats e2, not the idrive regular storage. But then again you can get 1TB s3 compliant e2 for $4 first year. And idrive mini is <$3 per year perfect for mobile backups and such.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

Active lurker nothing more nothing less, want to discuss something? i am all ears!

• @bikegremlin said:
    For file storage - Hetzner Storage Box is pretty nice

Have you had a good experience with the storage box line? I'm thinking about getting their 5TB plan. It's for off-site backups from the US, so I'm not terribly worried about speeds.

• @rajprakash said:

@bikegremlin said:

Have you had a good experience with the storage box line? I'm thinking about getting their 5TB plan. It's for off-site backups from the US, so I'm not terribly worried about speeds.

Hetzner Storage is good for off-site backup but I heard that sometimes speed is too slow for US or Asian .

I use the storage box for my Hetzner server backup so internal speed is good.

Currently Using Hetzner , OVH , Buyvm , Webhorizon , Hyonix , ConnectIndo

@webz said:

@rajprakash said:

@bikegremlin said:

Hetzner Storage is good for off-site backup but I heard that sometimes speed is too slow for US or Asian .

I use the storage box for my Hetzner server backup so internal speed is good.

I wrote in some topic here about my speed experience. Let me "google" it.
    Here it is - found it (why I love forums :) ):
    https://lowendspirit.com/discussion/3735/hetzner-storage-box-speeds

So, the speed is still not what I'd call fast, but it's far from slow. Would really like it if it were better.
    So yes, that is a real downside, especially if one is moving huge files (for a bunch of small ones, SSH works great and any failed transfer is easily "re-done").

Stability has been stellar, as well as the "bang-for-the-buck" (considering all the pros and cons, as well as the alternatives). I also love the fact I can just upgrade the storage size at any time, as well as downgrade it if it's too big.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

• Tape backup under your bed bro. Keep you warm in the winter as well. :p

• @AuroraZero said:
    Tape backup under your bed bro. Keep you warm in the winter as well. :p

And when the government comes for you, you can just let it burn with your house and the decoy corpse.

Thanked by (1)AuroraZero