Which apps are you self hosting?

edited February 2023 in General

After a break I am self hosting some stuff again. At the moment I have:

• Seafile (file sync/sharing)
  • Collabora Online (to edit office documents in the browser via Seafile)
  • Plausible Analytics
  • Wastebin
  • Actual Budget
  • Mastodon
  • Mastodon crossposter to/from Twitter
  • DynaBlogger (my blogging platform, which I am going to opensource soon)
  • Commento
  • PostFactum (an app for retros which I am building and will opensource)
  • Kutt, URL shortner
  • Wallabag, saving articles to read later
  • SerpBear, to keep track of ranking on search engines/ SEO
  • PicoShare, to share files quickly
  • Plus obviously supporting services like databases etc.

You? I am keen to discover new useful apps as I have plenty of room available on my new NetCup server :)

404 Error: Signature Not Found

Thanked by (2)FrankZ AlwaysSkint

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 2023

Plex
    Probably adding uptime kuma, and local gameserver soon.

• edited February 2023

would it be too much can you please add repo link to those apps.

• edited February 2023

Remote

• jellyfin (with idrive e2 for storage) on Oracle free tier
    • mastodon
    • flarum
    • nocodb
    • ghost
    • wordpress

Locally (with HP EliteDesk 705 G3 mini pc):

• yunohost
    • nextcloud
    • archive box

✨🎁 Low end deals Telegram tracker: https://t.me/lowendweb

• @ehab said:
    would it be too much can you please add repo link to those apps.

You can find them easily with google and github c'mon (apart from my apps which are not opensource yet)

Thanked by (1)ehab

• @loay said:
    Remote

• jellyfin (with idrive e2 for storage) on Oracle free tier
    • mastodon
    • flarum
    • nocodb
    • ghost
    • wordpress

Locally (with HP EliteDesk 705 G3 mini pc):

• yunohost
    • nextcloud
    • archive box

You use Jellyfin on its own? no radarr/sonarr etc?

• edited February 2023

@vitobotta said: You use Jellyfin on its own? no radarr/sonarr etc?

Yes, I don't watch movies or tv a lot. I use it sometimes to watch things that aren't available on prime or netflix.

✨🎁 Low end deals Telegram tracker: https://t.me/lowendweb

• Nextcloud
    Filebrowser (most likely this is going to replace Nextcloud for me)
    FreshRSS
    SearXNG

• edited February 2023

None :#

Files: Google Drive & Google Photos
    Mail: Fastmail with my own domain -here's 10% off https://ref.fm/u29354552
    Web: Flarum & WordPress on HestiaCP

• @mee2 said:
    Nextcloud
    FreshRSS
    SearXNG

Have you tried Seafile instead of Nextcloud? It's A LOT better at syncing, and A LOT faster

• Just added PicoShare to my list, it's awesome! Super quick and easy way to share files https://github.com/mtlynch/picoshare

• I host everything for everyone.

• @AuroraZero said:
    I host everything for everyone.

Which apps?

• DokuWiki, MediaWiki, Wordpress, PrestaShop, Opencart, Larval, Grav, Symfony, NextCloud are able all hosted on my free hosting.

Paid plans come with Softaculous.

Right now @alexxgg is runing DokuWiki I believe. Not sure if anyone else is running anything.

Thanked by (2)ehab Ympker
  • edited February 2023

Might take another look at Seafile, for a NextCloud alternative. I couldn't "get into it" first time around. :|
    Picoshare piqued (geddit?) my interest for a minute, until I looked on github and spotted Docker = not so pico, then.
    Thanks for the list. :)

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @vitobotta said:

@mee2 said:
    Nextcloud
    FreshRSS
    SearXNG

Have you tried Seafile instead of Nextcloud? It's A LOT better at syncing, and A LOT faster

Not tried Seafile but looks like I need to give it a try. Nextcloud is just too heavy to be used as "cloud drive".
    Filestash is another one that I have tried but don't host it.

• I've been looking for a better filesyncing solution to run locally and also on a VPS somewhere, maybe Seafile could be that. I've seen so many recommendations for NextCloud so I installed it recently but it seems....bloated. Like, I just want file syncing, not a "google suites" replacement.

• For personal use I have Nextcloud, Wallabag, Mattermost, Leantime, Paperless-ng and Jitsi.

I'm not counting stuff like Icinga, PowerDNS, Graylog, Grafana, a shitload of databases and websites and similar stuff. Even if I selfhost it, it's mainly for work.

• @SocksAreComfortable said:
    I've been looking for a better filesyncing solution to run locally and also on a VPS somewhere, maybe Seafile could be that. I've seen so many recommendations for NextCloud so I installed it recently but it seems....bloated. Like, I just want file syncing, not a "google suites" replacement.

Nextcloud syncing is crap. Seafile is another league

• Kanboard, a free and open source Kanban project management software kanboard.org

• @vitobotta said:

@SocksAreComfortable said:
    I've been looking for a better filesyncing solution to run locally and also on a VPS somewhere, maybe Seafile could be that. I've seen so many recommendations for NextCloud so I installed it recently but it seems....bloated. Like, I just want file syncing, not a "google suites" replacement.

Been reading about Seafile and other file-syncing apps a bunch this evening. The speed of Seafile seems pretty universally praised, but there are also two common concerns I see brought up. One is that it's a Chinese company, though if self-hosting that is far less of a concern than using their service offers. But perhaps the more common issue I see is that they do some sort of atypical file storage system, something about storing things in chunks instead of direct file storage. Is that something you've dealt with or have any suggestions on?

Some other ones I've run across are FileRun (which seems to use NextCloud clients for desktop syncing but its own server software), Syncthing, OwnCloud, and ResilioSync. Anyone have experience with those?

• edited February 2023

Interested with picoshare and kutt.

Currently I'm using paid software for url shortening and wetransfer alike (Using S3 storage).

Your recomendations are awesome!

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Same as a lot of you, Nextcloud, Plex plus the *arrs that go along with it, transmission-daemon for compliant leeching and DMCA avoidance purposes, plus a few other things that aren't springing to mind.

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @SocksAreComfortable said:

@vitobotta said:

@SocksAreComfortable said:

Been reading about Seafile and other file-syncing apps a bunch this evening. The speed of Seafile seems pretty universally praised, but there are also two common concerns I see brought up. One is that it's a Chinese company, though if self-hosting that is far less of a concern than using their service offers. But perhaps the more common issue I see is that they do some sort of atypical file storage system, something about storing things in chunks instead of direct file storage. Is that something you've dealt with or have any suggestions on?

Some other ones I've run across are FileRun (which seems to use NextCloud clients for desktop syncing but its own server software), Syncthing, OwnCloud, and ResilioSync. Anyone have experience with those?

If we avoided all chineese products just because they are chineese ...

Yeah Seafile stores files in a very similar way to how Git stores files in its repos. So on the server you can't read files directly because they are stored in a proprietary format which is what makes it very fast and reliable with "commits" just like git to handle changes. However 1) I never access files from the server anyway, because I sync them on my computers, which is where I use them, so I don't care; 2) if you for some reason still need to read files from the server it is possible. There is a tool or something, can't remember, but it is possible.

@Fritz said:
    Interested with picoshare and kutt.

Currently I'm using paid software for url shortening and wetransfer alike (Using S3 storage).

Your recomendations are awesome!

Both of these are really nice! With Picoshare you can even press the Cmd/Ctrl-V combination on the page to paste a file and it will upload and give back the share URL instantly. I love it! Like I said I use Seafile for file syncing and could use it for sharing too, but Picoshare is a bit faster. With Seafile (or similar like Nextcloud) you need to right click on the file, create a share link and copy to the clipboard. With Picoshare you just paste the file and you get the URL right away.

Kutt is also awesome. You can create short URLs with password and other features.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Gitlab, HomeAssistant, aptcacherNG, deluge, grafana/loki. Plus some k8s dev stuff

Need to set up a password manager too...cause lastpass shtshow. Haven't got to that...will probably do bitwarden's new unified image.

• @havoc said:
    Gitlab, HomeAssistant, aptcacherNG, deluge, grafana/loki. Plus some k8s dev stuff

Have you tried Gitea? It's a lightweight git hosting app, super awesome.

Need to set up a password manager too...cause lastpass shtshow. Haven't got to that...will probably do bitwarden's new unified image.

At the moment I am using EnPass - I bought the Lifetime Premium license with no limits for just $29! - with the vault synced via Seafile. EnPass is not like most other password managers in that there isn't a web app that might expose the vault and that might be targeted by attackers. You can even use it totally offline or synced via wifi in your local network only if you wish. I think this approach is a lot more secure. The app is also robust with many features, almost a clone of 1Password.

• exim4 (SMTP)
    • Subversion
    • phpwiki
    • Jabber
    • PowerDNS (DNS)
    • roundup
    • JabRSS

maybe a few others I can't remember right now

• Stash

• ngircd
    synapse
    owncloud
    joplin
    searxng

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited February 2023

@vitobotta said: Have you tried Gitea?

Briefly. I need Gitlab's CI & integrated docker registry. Plus I've got custom code running against the API. Homeserver has 64gb so inertia wins this one

Might take another look eventually (once gitea/forgejo mess settles) but for now other stuff has priority

• My updated list so far:

• Plausible Analytics (Website analytics)
    • Wastebin (pastebin)
    • Mastodon (social)
    • Mastodon crossposter (to cross post between Mastodon and Twitter)
    • Actual Budget (budgeting)
    • DynaBlogger (my blogging platform, which I will open source soon)
    • Change Detection (to be notified about changes to websites)
    • Seafile (file syncing and sharing)
    • Commento (commenting app for my blog)
    • Gitea (source code hosting)
    • Kutt (URL shortner)
    • Collabora Online (to edit office documents in the browser via Seafile)
    • PostFactum (an app I am building for retros)
    • Wallabag (to save articles to read later)
    • PicoShare (simple file sharing)
    • OpenSpeedTest (speed test for Internet connection)