How does your desktop look like?

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited March 2023 in General

Post a screenshot of your desktop here.
This sort of thread used to be in most of the other forums I visited before LE community and it was usually always interesting to see. I used to have lots of icons on my Desktop. Nowadays, I only have very few on there and the others are in the taskbar.
Not missing any icons atm.

Disclaimer: Wallpaper Engine is a b**tch. I have way too many wallpapers in my playlist.
Here is a screenshot from right now:

Thanked by (3)Not_Oles chimichurri Murv

Comments

• Don't use any wallpaper here. Just a solid black fill for the desktop across all screens.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited March 2023

@rattlecattle said:
    Don't use any wallpaper here. Just a solid black fill for the desktop across all screens.

Then share your Desktop with us if you want.
    There's more to a Desktop than wallpaper (like icons/software used, rainmeter stuff etc) :)

Thanked by (2)rattlecattle Not_Oles
  • @Ympker said:

@rattlecattle said:
    Don't use any wallpaper here. Just a solid black fill for the desktop across all screens.

There's more to a Desktop than wallpaper (like icons/software used, rainmeter stuff etc) :)

Its literally empty. Blank. No icons. Everything is hidden behind shortcuts and can be launched when needed.
    Same for the work related systems, but they have lots of files littered all over the desktop which haven't been organized yet.

Thanked by (3)Ympker Not_Oles saibal
    edited March 2023

@rattlecattle said:

@Ympker said:

@rattlecattle said:

Its literally empty. Blank. No icons. Everything is hidden behind shortcuts and can be launched when needed.
    Same for the work related systems, but they have lots of files littered all over the desktop which haven't been organized yet.

Ah fair enough then :tongue:

Before Wallpaper Engine ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/431960/Wallpaper_Engine/ ), I would have one wallpaper for ever and I always thought, "why do ppl pay 5€ for Wallpaper Engine, if you can have wallpapers for free?". After 40 hours in Wallpaper Engine and many playlists later, I regret nothing lol. I create new playlists for each month to have a bit of fresh air. I also have playlists for "mood" types, like "inspirational, work/focus, landscape, cozy coffee, chill"
    Animated wallpapers are pretty cool imho.
    The wallpaper I posted also has animation, actually (clouds are moving slowly, hair a bit, too). @Murv would be very happy with wallpaper engine, too (I guess).

Thanked by (2)rattlecattle Not_Oles
  • Thanked by (2)Ympker Not_Oles

URL Shortener | YetiNode | Come join us on the MetalVPS IRC channel!!!

edited March 2023

@AuroraZero said:

Yeti never disappoints. We love Yeti <3

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero Not_Oles
  • @Ympker said:

@AuroraZero said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Ympker said:

@AuroraZero said:

In Yeti we trust.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Sorry for taking up LES space. Where should I upload images?

Thanked by (2)Ympker Not_Oles
  • @MichaelCee said:

I just use tenor.com keeps all my various stuff neat

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@MichaelCee said:

I uploaded mine using Gyazo. Otherwise picupload

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Nothing fancy atm :)

ServerStatus , slackvpn <-- openVPN auto install script for Slackware 15

edited March 2023

@emperor said:
    Nothing fancy atm :)

Clean & simple. I like it :)
    Also, ZorinOS is neat. I have a vm running it for work stuff.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles emperor

@Falzo said:

Is that wide screen or is it just my phone acting up?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Ympker said:

Is that wide screen or is it just my phone acting up?

6000x1440 px, spanning across two monitors SBS

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Probably @Ympker and lots of you have seen Dennis Ritchie's desktop (2002), but maybe not.

Here's a follow up desktop comparison between 2002 and 2015.

If you look at these two pages, please be sure to scroll all the way down. Each of the pages has a few additional interesting links at the bottom.

@Ympker said: There's more to a Desktop than wallpaper. . . .

A site I really like, though it goes beyond this thread's topic of desktops, is uses this, ". . . a collection of nerdy interviews asking people from all walks of life what they use to get the job done."

It's fun to see what other people here are using! Thanks @Ympker!

All I have is my Chromebook. I use Chrome for html Gmail, Migadu webmail, LET, LES, NodeSeek, and HN. Beyond those few sites, my Chromebook pretty much functions as an ssh terminal.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Solid colors, dark enough to make icons easy to see on the desktop, but not too dark.

Solid gray for the admin account, which is used for updates, software installation, configuration changes, etc..
    Solid blue for the unprivileged personal working account, the one I use most of the time.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Thanked by (1)Ympker

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

@TheDP said:

Another wide-screen haha :D

@Not_Oles also quite happy with my chromebook. It's neat :) i just left the default wallpaper there, though.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @xleet said:
    Solid colors, dark enough to make icons easy to see on the desktop, but not too dark.

Solid gray for the admin account, which is used for updates, software installation, configuration changes, etc..
    Solid blue for the unprivileged personal working account, the one I use most of the time.

I would like to share that I do the same with terminal windows in those accounts. Both have black backgrounds, and have the same colors as those old CRT computer monitors, if anyone remembers them.

The terminal in the admin account uses green characters on the black background.
    The terminal in the unprivileged working account uses amber characters on the black background. That is my favorite.

Here are my Mac Terminal Preference Settings under Profiles, Text:
    Amber and Green Background Hex Color #: 000000

RGB Sliders for Green Text (admin account):
    Text and Bold Text Hex Color #: 00FF00
    Selection Hex Color #: 005300

RGB Sliders for Amber Text (unprivileged working account):
    Text and Bold Text Hex Color #: FFBA32
    Selection Hex Color #: 7F5D19

Background:
    A long time ago, everyone used the popular VT100 terminals, which had fuzzy white characters on a black background. Newer terminals had green characters on the black background. The green characters seemed sharper and more "crisp" than the old VT100 style terminals. They were less tiring on the eyes, which made a big difference at the end of a long day, especially if you had to drive home in the dark. A year or two later, research showed that amber characters on a black background were even better than green, and many people preferred it and switched to amber. Not all - some people preferred the green over amber.
    -> I knew nobody who preferred "fuzzy VT100 white" over anything.

I think those settings are a very good match for those old terminals and prefer them very much more than the default black characters on a white background.

• :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @MichaelCee said:

Why Mr MichealCee why
    Why do you persist

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles MichaelCee

Why?

• I forgot i have 'desktop'
    everything are done in tbird/firefox/terminal

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• Another total black (blank).

MicroLXC is lovable.

• edited March 2023

@Ympker said: Also, ZorinOS is neat

Was tough choice between zorin mint and popos. I prefer manjaro but some of the apps i use started to have issues in arch platform so i had to hop distro. Had used before mint and popos which are very good, so i wanted to give zorin a chance and im glad that i did it. Distro is great so far :)

ServerStatus , slackvpn <-- openVPN auto install script for Slackware 15

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Usually don't see my desktop for more than a couple seconds before I have a dozen different windows and apps cluttering my screen.

Thanked by (3)Ympker Not_Oles terrorgen

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

@Mason said:
    Usually don't see my desktop for more than a couple seconds before I have a dozen different windows and apps cluttering my screen.

Haha, I was expecting M&B somewhere on the screen. Then again, since Steam got popular I also don't have any game icons on the desktop anymore. Good old times:

Thanked by (3)Not_Oles Janevski ialexpw