GooseVPN lifetime deal is back! - 19$

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited April 2023 in General

While browsing Appsumo, I just found out that GooseVPN (NL company) lifetime deal is back for 19$: https://appsumo.com/products/goose-vpn/

https://goosevpn.com/

It's not on Stacksocial (,unfortunately). However, iirc, Appsumo has that 60 days satisfaction guarantee on any redeemed product, so..might as well give it a try.

If memory serves, Goose VPN (while it was selling on Stacksocial) was kind of decent VPN, not stellar, but not shabby like other bad ones either.
The Android app has like 100k Downloads and has some mediocre reviews. Recent Appsumo reviews are 4.5/5 stars (only 5 reviews yet, though).

There's also Trustpilot (make of it what you will): https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/goosevpn.com?sort=recency

Apparently there are streaming servers and p2p servers.

I might just pass it to my collection.. anyone tried them in the past?

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

Comments

• doesn't seems to have wireguard (yet), anyone know where is this vpn has available locations?

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• @Encoders said: anyone know where is this vpn has available locations?

Just scroll down https://goosevpn.com/goose-vpn - they have locations listed there.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@Encoders said:
    doesn't seems to have wireguard (yet), anyone know where is this vpn has available locations?

No Wireguard yet, apparently. Someone asked this on Appsumo in Questions sections. But it's on roadmap apparently, so lifetime gamble. Or try 50 days and refund with Appsumo before 60 days if not liking.

• Thanked by (4)Ympker root FrankZ ehab
  • never heard of goosevpn.
    reliable?

@lapua said:
    never heard of goosevpn.
    reliable?

Haven't tested. Judging by reviews I remember from years back they were decent. No idea about now.

Thanked by (1)lapua
  • Purchased as collection, too less Asia server, treat it as backup.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Obviously it'll differ from provider to provider, but in general, are these "lifetime deals" for a service that requires then to run servers viable? Like I'm sure some people just buy it and forget about it and rarely/never use it, but are they actually sustainable for regular use?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited April 2023

@SocksAreComfortable said:
    Obviously it'll differ from provider to provider, but in general, are these "lifetime deals" for a service that requires then to run servers viable? Like I'm sure some people just buy it and forget about it and rarely/never use it, but are they actually sustainable for regular use?

There are quite some VPN companies that were/are running lifetime VPN deals and manage to remain profitable. Many sold lifetime subs through third party sites like Stacksocial/Appsumo, so their "regular" subbed customers probably often didn't know about their lifetime deal and just paid a regular subscription.

Fwiw, Ivacy has been around since 2008, Keepsolid iirc since 2013(?!), Windscribe has also been around since 2015ish(?!) and they also sold lots of lifetimes before they discontinued selling them. What I'm trying to say is, it seems to work. Especially since many VPN providers just resell (like Ivacy resold Purevpn) and thus just pay commission and support 24/7 chat is often provided by the reseller. Still, all the aforementioned lifetime VPNs provide awesome service for the buck and I wouldn't want to drop either of them. Whether they are reselling or not is not really of concern to my use case, either. Just like the "No-Logs audit" from FastestVPN is nice to see but I really couldn't care less whether it's true or not. I mean, the audit company has 3 employees on LinkedIn and a veeery basic website..go figure :)

That said, I wouldn't prefer/trust any of the more expensive snakeoil providers (Nord, Express etc) over any of the lifetime providers. Lifetime is always a bit of a gamble, but the price is often cheap (1 or 2 years worth of subscription with a snakeoil provider and you got your money's worth). If Ivacy dropped dead tomorrow that'd be unfortunate, but I used them since 2017 for 40$.. Same for Keepsolid since 2016 etc..If one day all lifetime vpns I have drop dead, the snakeoil providers will still be there, so I'm not missing out on anything, really.
    I dropped NordVPN sub in 2015 and haven't looked back. For my use case the lifetime VPNs I have are more than sufficient. Other people might need/appreciate the extra level of "anonymity" provided by Mullvad/IVPN/hidemyname (they require no registration, you get a generated acc number and you can sometimes even pay by cash), but I don't really need that.

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
    edited April 2023

Update: Asked some questions on Appsumo and:

Hi,

Thank you for your message and positive review. Our technicians are actively working on both Wireguard and the Android app. I appreciate your suggestion of having a roadmap on our website to keep our users updated on the progress and priorities.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Seems like after my questions and many previous requests, Wireguard is now actively being worked on. A public roadmap would also be nice :)

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • I am starting to dislike this VPN. No streaming server works with *flix, absolutely none. The US streaming servers can not even access *flix website. Why do they even call them streaming servers confuses me.

The app for Android is extremely basic and encryption protocol can't be selected on mobile. For a company which was 6 years in business and sold this on offer in 2018, this VPN surely lacks some important and modern functionalities. The only thing left to appreciate is how it has an EU company behind it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

edited April 2023

@root said:
    I am starting to dislike this VPN. No streaming server works with *flix, absolutely none. The US streaming servers can not even access *flix website. Why do they even call them streaming servers confuses me.

The app for Android is extremely basic and encryption protocol can't be selected on mobile. For a company which was 6 years in business and sold this on offer in 2018, this VPN surely lacks some important and modern functionalities. The only thing left to appreciate is how it has an EU company behind it.

I agree that it lacks many basic features like Wireguard, Chrome Extension, or protocol selection on mobile.
    Makes you wonder what they were doing the past 6 years and just now appeared on Appsumo to gather money?
    Regardless, I took the bullet knowing that and am waiting to see what comes of it the next month or two.
    If there are not improvements at all and/or performance gets bad, I might possibly just make us of AS money-back guarantee.
    Until then, it's benefit of the doubt, but I did point out to them that offering only IKEV2 on mobile app kind of sucks because it is bound to port 500 and on restricted networks it might be a problem if they don't offer OpenVPN with port 443 in their app. Sure, there is manual setup, but..

For what it's worth, they seem to not comply with DMCA complaints unless there is a court order.
    Some vpn providers probably would hand over any data they have on you on a mere DMCA complaint (justified or not), or issue a warning to you. Given that they say they only comply when there's a court order or they are legally obliged to (most vpns would comply in that case) is kind of positive, imho.

GOOSE VPN does not pass on any user data collected on our website or software or forwarded to us (neither personally identifiable nor non-personally identifiable) to third parties.

GOOSE VPN therefore does not pass on data to organisations that are committed to copyright, such as the Brein foundation.

However, GOOSE VPN fully cooperates with agencies when they have a court order. On the other hand, we have a no-log policy and do not store any data on our servers.

Seems like DNS is leaking with Goose's ovpn configs. They didn't add "block-outside-dns".
    After adding the line they don't leak anymore, but this shouldn't have to be something I have to do in the first place. The Client/App from Goose didn't leak DNS, but none of the ovpn config files from any other VPN I used so far was leaking DNS.

If you are using Goose add this to your ovpn configs:
    block-outside-dns

Thanked by (2)FrankZ root
  • @Ympker - since this thread is going to slowly sink, I kindly ask you to please keep an eye on this VPN until June and keep us updated if they improve by implementing Wireguard or adding new features like browser extension.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

@root said:
    @Ympker - since this thread is going to slowly sink, I kindly ask you to please keep an eye on this VPN until June and keep us updated if they improve by implementing Wireguard or adding new features like browser extension.

Will do mate :) I also setup OVPN using Nyr's script on a Greencloud VPS today and it's also not leaking DNS on the very same Windows 10 system where Goose VPN ovpn config files are leaking DNS. Given that FastestVPN, VPN Unlimited and my own self-hosted OVPN config files are NOT leaking DNS and Goose VPN's ovpn config files are, kind of suggests the issue is on their end (they said everything was fine on their end lol).

Thanked by (1)root
  • rootroot OG
    edited April 2023

@Ympker said:
    Regardless, I took the bullet [...]

Did you try Bullet VPN so far? :smirk:

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

@root said:

@Ympker said:

I haven't. They are also EU based and I have heard mixed things. They are probably quite good, not stellar, but not bad either.
    I remember @sanvit or someone else was not so happy with them, though.

• @Ympker said:

@root said:

@Ympker said:

I haven't. They are also EU based and I have heard mixed things. They are probably quite good, not stellar, but not bad either.

I ask because I can see that VPN on Stacksocial advertising since 2019.

How are you... online?

@root said:

@Ympker said:

@root said:

@Ympker said:

I ask because I can see that VPN on Stacksocial advertising since 2019.

yeah they have been around for a while, too :D

• It seems that Wireguard will be added as feature at the end of 2023 (link).

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

@root said:
    It seems that Wireguard will be added as feature at the end of 2023 (link).

Yeah, they've said this on AS when answering questions quite a lot now. Seems like they understand demand is there.

• rootroot OG
    edited April 2023

@Ympker said:

@root said:
    It seems that Wireguard will be added as feature at the end of 2023 (link).

Yeah, they've said this on AS when answering questions quite a lot now. Seems like they understand demand is there.

Demand was there even before. A search through reviews brought me into many requests for Wireguard, but also a reply where GooseVPN clearly stated: "at the moment we are working on implementing Wireguard" - this was happening in mid 2021. We are almost 2 years later; so I guess Wireguard must be extremely hard to implement.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

• I don't know man...
    Only one lifetime?
    What if i plan to reincarnate?

Thanked by (2)AuroraZero Ympker
  • @Janevski said:
    I don't know man...
    Only one lifetime?

Do it and the Yeti will still be here to jerk your chain

Thanked by (2)FrankZ Janevski
  • @AuroraZero said:

@Janevski said:
    I don't know man...
    Only one lifetime?

Do it and the Yeti will still be here to jerk your chain

What makes you think he will reincarnate into a Yeti?

How are you... online?

edited April 2023

@root Whenever I see someone in the 144 questions on AS asking about Wireguard and read the response from them (see below), I wonder a) what takes them so long and b) what they were doing the past (5?) years?

GooseVPN is set to make the WireGuard protocol available at the end of 2023

Also someone asked why they only have IPSec/IKEV2 in their mobile app and asked if OpenVPN could be added to which they replied you can use OpenVPN Connect app and that they will add Wireguard in the end of 2023. Why not add OpenVPN, too? And earlier, since they already have OpenVPN?

Either they have only 1 dev and he is a mythical creature (as in MIA) like Yeti ( @AuroraZero ), or they are reselling someone and they gave them an ETA. Since people already checked if they were reselling though, which they apparently are not, I can't help but wonder what's really up here?

• rootroot OG
    edited April 2023

@Ympker said:
    @root Whenever I see someone in the 144 questions on AS asking about Wireguard and read the response from them (see below), I wonder a) what takes them so long and b) what they were doing the past (5?) years?

GooseVPN is set to make the WireGuard protocol available at the end of 2023

Also someone asked why they only have IPSec/IKEV2 in their mobile app and asked if OpenVPN could be added to which they replied you can use OpenVPN Connect app and that they will add Wireguard in the end of 2023. Why not add OpenVPN, too? And earlier, since they already have OpenVPN?

Either they have only 1 dev and he is a mythical creature (as in MIA) like Yeti ( @AuroraZero ), or they are reselling someone and they gave them an ETA. Since people already checked if they were reselling though, which they apparently are not, I can't help but wonder what's really up here?

I am on the same boat with you. I also wonder what they did over the past 5 to 6 years. I have a few opinions for what they are doing now:

1. Fear of Missing Out - Maybe they have no income and wish to milk the customers now through hopes, then wait another 5 years with same product. My justification for this is in how during mid 2021 they were actively working on Wireguard, but nothing changed.
    2. True Investment - Maybe this project was stagnant over the past few years, yet constantly working in bringing in some money. Now they wish to invest and bring this project up to date, but they need more funds to do it and work with customer's money (which is why it's selling on AppSumo). My justification for this is in how much support they poor into it at the moment for good image, combined with different prices (price was lower in the past, but it was also higher in the past).
    3. Conspiracy Theory - Maybe this project is funded by the great european alliance of secret agencies to collect more information about people. This combined with Digital Service Act create a great foundation for monitoring people against: fake news, disinformation, free speech and wrong thinking.

As you can see, I don't know exactly what is going on with Goose VPN and why it is in this state. Even though I am confused, I do see how the potential was there all this time. I would love to see a successful VPN with privacy and anonymity in mind, based in European Union.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

How are you... online?

@root said:

As you can see, I don't know exactly what is going on with Goose VPN and why it is in this state. Even though I am confused, I do see how the potential was there all this time. I would love to see a successful VPN with privacy and anonymity in mind, based in European Union.

The reason I haven't requesting a refund. That and good speeds.

• 14 days left on this AppSumo offer from Goose VPN. Meanwhile I am curious what they will do with the money. So far they promised Wireguard by the end of the year.

How are you... online?

@root said:
    14 days left on this AppSumo offer from Goose VPN. Meanwhile I am curious what they will do with the money. So far they promised Wireguard by the end of the year.

by the eeeeeend of the yeeeeaaaaar. Yeah, that does sound loooong right? :D But yeah, likewise interested in seeing where this goes next. Keeping my sub to find out.