Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@c0untch0cula said:
    @Not_Oles

I'd like an account; I'm interested in learning about creating kvm VPSes.

Let me know what I need to do, thanks

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAILUt0NSJah9AEOnk27sVO0pbfvrREdNqtIOCCU1xiNl/ JuiceSSH

Hi @c0untch0cula!

Welcome to LES! I like your fun username! As far as what you need to do is concerned, how about these suggestions from the OP?

@Not_Oles said: If you have a new LES account, please introduce yourself in your post. Please tell us what you plan to do with your MetalVPS account.

Your introduction could include who and where you are plus a link to your website if you have one, or maybe to your Github, or to your online presence in other wonderful places, HN, your publications as listed on arxiv.org, something else? Whatever. . . .

See you soon on the server!

Best!

Tom

Thanked by (1)c0untch0cula

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@Fritz said:
    Trying to follow the tutorial here.
    Need to squeeze my brain.

Any questions? :) Best! :)

@cpsd Hey! Thanks for all the details! I want to read carefully everything you said, but it's getting late here. So, tomorrow. . . . Thanks again!

• @shallow said:

@ehab said:
    @Not_Oles can you please provide account for Shallow, his key is above.
    Thanks a lot.

No dice.

Sad.

• @dosai said:

@shallow said:

@ehab said:
    @Not_Oles can you please provide account for Shallow, his key is above.
    Thanks a lot.

No dice.

Sad.

Ya, what can you do? @Not_Oles is just ignoring my request at this point. Not sure why but that's up to him I guess. Not free for all after all. I'll stick to paid services not play services.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • I blame @ehab for jinxing me.

• @shallow said:
    I blame @ehab for jinxing me.

maybe i had a part of it.
    but thats what friends are for.

Thanked by (1)shallow
  • edited April 2023

don't worry we, can still knock on his door

@Not_Oles hey man, can you kindly give @shallow access to a car free shell account. His key was added earlier.

• @ehab said:
    don't worry we, can still knock on his door

@Not_Oles hey man, can you kindly give @shallow access to a car free shell account. His key was added earlier.

Don't worry about it, he's not interested. He will just ignore. I'll never learn about linux containers now.

I will sleep well.

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • @shallow said:
    Ya, what can you do? @Not_Oles is just ignoring my request at this point. Not sure why but that's up to him I guess. Not free for all after all. I'll stick to paid services not play services.

@shallow said:
    Don't worry about it, he's not interested. He will just ignore. I'll never learn about linux containers now.

I will sleep well.

Of course, I might be missing some context of friendly banter here, but normally if you're asking for a favour from someone it usually pays to be nice to them.

If this was me and I'd simply missed your message, seeing this kind of self-entitled response wouldn't make me rush out and help you, it'd make me wonder what you'd be like further down the line.

• @ralf said:

@shallow said:
    what you'd be like further down the line.

Thanked by (1)ralf
  • @ralf said:

@shallow said:

@shallow said:

I will sleep well.

Of course, I might be missing some context of friendly banter here, but normally if you're asking for a favour from someone it usually pays to be nice to them.

If this was me and I'd simply missed your message, seeing this kind of self-entitled response wouldn't make me rush out and help you, it'd make me wonder what you'd be like further down the line.

+1. Be nice to those providing play services at their own dime.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• I want to join this free vps thing since it's been awhile I'm testing ipfs (they're better since cloudflare joins in), but eh there are no significant changes.

the last one i want to try something is when Route48 closing their services, so I tried replicated that one (even without /48). not really interested on opening it as public service however, just to sate a curious cat.

good luck i guess, those free things are fun if you're not an opportunist leech

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

@cpsd said: no luck when I ping any IPv4/domain. 100% packet loss.

Hi @cpsd!

From the above linked tutorial, "slirp does not support the ICMP protocol, and so ping doesn’t work."

Further down in the tutorial, it shows terminal output both with ping not working when the VM is launched by an unprivileged neighbor and then with ping working when the VM is launched by the root user.

May I please ask, how did you increase the size of the qcow2 file?

From host machine:
    qemu-img resize debian-sid-nocloud-amd64-daily.qcow2 +10G

[ . . . ]

From guest machine:
    root@localhost:~# fdisk /dev/sda

[ scary warnings ]

[ . . . ]

Glad fdisk worked despite those scary warnings! I heard that there is an automatic process for the image to increase its size. I heard something about a script inside the VM which is supposed to increase size automatically. Back on my former server, darkstar, some people reported the automagic increase worked for them, but it didn't seem to work for me. I haven't yet tried to chase down the details.

@cpsd said: First, you need to fix the ssh daemon:

FWIW, it's been awhile since I last set up a VM this way myself. I don't recall having trouble with ssh server. But the image might be different now. :)

@cpsd said: as I wanted to try a desktop, I installed the x2go daemon and set a required hostname for the guest machine:

Glad you are trying the desktop. I've not tried that recently. Maybe one needs to set additional options in the script that starts the VM in order to take the best advantage of the CPU's built-in graphics processor?

@cpsd said: And I allowed PasswordAuthentication (in /etc/ssh/sshd_config)

I wonder how strong a password is possible. And whether 2FA is available. Maybe one might even consider shutting down the VM when it is not in use?

Congrats on getting all this going! :) Best wishes!

Tom

I think of @ehab as my good friend from the Writers Group. I enjoy his posts. When @ehab posted here in this thread shortly after @shallow made his request, it seemed to me that perhaps my friend @ehab might have been trying to warn me to be careful of @shallow, whom I am just now getting to know.

When I went to look at @shallow's profile, I saw "About Me: Joe is shit. Eat shit lumber foot." Google didn't seem to have much to tell me about "Joe is shit. Eat shit lumberfoot."

I was and still am very confused.

Next there were additional posts from several people. And a PM too! @ehab and @shallow seemed possibly to take a view with which @ralf and @terrorgen seemed possibly to disagree.

Maybe everything that happened was a misunderstanding. Maybe I should instantly have given @shallow a MetalVPS account the first time that @ehab asked politely. But there remained the confusion in my mind from @shallow's profile's "Joe is shit. Eat shit lumberfoot." I wasn't sure how to talk about my confusion.

Thanks so much to @ralf <3 and @terrorgen <3 for always trying to be helpful! You guys are the best!

I really like LES! It's our friendly community! I am a happy guy! I think we all should be friendly and polite toward each other.

@shallow If you want to add anything to your request for a MetalVPS account, please go ahead and post again. I will happily consider whatever you say. But please realize that I might need a little time to think before I respond.

@ehab Thanks for your great writing and for your continually trying to help others! Thanks for participating in my threads! Respectfully, however, could you please consider taking it a little easier when you post in my threads?

edited April 2023

@Encoders said:
    I want to join this free vps thing since it's been awhile I'm testing ipfs (they're better since cloudflare joins in), but eh there are no significant changes.

the last one i want to try something is when Route48 closing their services, so I tried replicated that one (even without /48). not really interested on opening it as public service however, just to sate a curious cat.

good luck i guess, those free things are fun if you're not an opportunist leech

Hi @Encoders!

Thanks for asking to join MetalVPS!

Please tell us how we should understand your signature, which now says "Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit." I'm also confused about how to decide who is an "opportunist leech."

If you want to add anything to your request for a MetalVPS account, please post again. I will be delighted to consider more information about you, who and where you are, your command line experience, and what you want to do on the server. I will keep trying to give you an account.

Thanks again!

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Tom

Edit to add: An ed25519 ssh public key also is needed. Thanks!

• edited April 2023

Well I would like to share how I have prepared a a new VM with desktop using a rustdesk self hosted server https://rustdesk.com/docs/en/self-host/ which only allows metalvps's IP and mine. This is like Teamviewer/Anydesk.

First: create a new disk.

qemu-img create -f qcow2 test.qcow2 30G

Second: Download your favourite GNU/Linux distribution , in my case I will be using the mini.iso file from http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic-updates/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/

Third: start the VM opening a temporal VNC port (in this example, it will be :5959)

qemu-system-x86_64 \
    -boot menu=on \
    -m 2048 \
    -cpu max \
    -smp 4 \
    -cdrom mini.iso \
    -vnc 0.0.0.0:59,password=on \
    -accel kvm \
    -monitor stdio \
    -hda test.qcow2

Fourth write in the prompt "change vnc password" and write one password.

Fifth: connect from your VNC viewer to fsn.metalvps.com:5959

Sixth: Install Ubuntu adding Xubuntu Desktop & Openssh server (optional)

Seventh: allow auto-login for your username
    sudo mousepad /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/60-xubuntu.conf
    y add the third row:

[Seat:*]
    user-session=xubuntu
    autologin-user=username

Eighth: download the .deb file from https://rustdesk.com/ website and install it

sudo apt install ./rustdesk...deb

Ninth : add rustdesk to your boot up process

Open 'Settings Manager'
    Select 'Session and Startup'
    On the 'Application Autostart' click on the 'Add' button
    /usr/bin/rustdesk

Reboot the VM and you can see what are your connection details (ID & password)

Now you can connect to your own Rustdesk server for better performance. And poweroff the machine.

Tenth: You can start this VM as a background process in metalvps host and you can connect to see how everything is working:

Bonus: as I have installed the openssh server in my guest machine, I can connect from outside too:

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Wow! Thanks @cpsd! This looks pretty cool! I haven't tried RustDesk yet. Google helped me find the Github repo. Best! Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @Encoders!

Thanks for asking to join MetalVPS!

Please tell us how we should understand your signature, which now says "Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit."

It's a meme https://youtu.be/TTxAlkD-xDI?t=322

I'm also confused about how to decide who is an "opportunist leech."

worst case scenario in any of free services

If you want to add anything to your request for a MetalVPS account, please post again. I will be delighted to consider more information about you, who and where you are, your command line experience, and what you want to do on the server. I will keep trying to give you an account.

I will not ask for an account, I'll hit you up once i have something interesting to try on

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

@Not_Oles Any plans to try out that new 7950X3D Hetzner just launched? :p

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• @Advin said:

oh! they are not offering AX101 anymore, for this new AX102

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited April 2023

:p

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

KangServer.id - Doing some benchmarks on VPS / Server
    LowEnd VPS Deals - LowEnd / Cheap VPS Deals

• @cpsd said:

@Advin said:

oh! they are not offering AX101 anymore, for this new AX102

I suspect there's no great advantage of the 7950X3D over the 7950X other than there'll be some cheaper AX101s being recycled in the server auction going forward.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Advin said:

AX102 looks nice! Their RX220 also looks nice! :)

• edited April 2023

Hi Tom! How are you doing?

What do you think about having a range of ports with blocked incoming traffic ? Just in case we need to use VNC to connect to our vps or another daemon. Just a range of ports.

Something like this iptables rule:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 1024:35000 -j REJECT

And then, you can allow one specific IP addresses for any user account with a rule like:

iptables -I INPUT -s X.X.X.X -p tcp -j ACCEPT

You need theses packages

apt-get install iptables iptables-persistent netfilter-persistent
    netfilter-persistent save

Or you can implement a secretly knock a combination of fixed ports to allow our current IP address

apt-get install knockd -y

You need to change to configuration files.
    The first one needs our network interface name enp4s0 and activation: /etc/default/knockd

START_KNOCKD=1
    KNOCKD_OPTS="-i enp4s0"

The second needs the rules: /etc/knockd.conf
    Port1,Port2,Port3,Port4,Port5,Port6 are any ports outside of the rejected range !
    cpsd@fsn:~$ whereis iptables
    iptables: /usr/sbin/iptables (this binary location can change in other system)

[options]
    logfile = /var/log/knockd.log

[openSSH]
    sequence = Port1,Port2,Port3
    seq_timeout = 105
    command = /usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s %IP% -p tcp -j ACCEPT
    tcpflags = syn

[closeSSH]
    sequence = Port4,Port5,Port6
    seq_timeout = 105
    command = /usr/sbin/iptables -D INPUT -s %IP% -p tcp -j ACCEPT
    tcpflags = syn

systemctl start knockd
    systemctl enable knockd.service
    systemctl is-enabled knockd.service

if the service is not starting, you can manually add this command: /usr/sbin/knockd -i enp4s0 in one of the /etc/init.d/ scripts.

One last thing: the ssh daemon is listening in a port to any ip and its security can be improved with a fail2ban addon:

apt-get install -y fail2ban
    systemctl start fail2ban
    systemctl enable fail2ban
    vi /etc/fail2ban/jail.local

[sshd]
    enabled = true
    port = 42365
    filter = sshd
    logpath = /var/log/auth.log
    maxretry = 3

systemctl restart fail2ban

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @cpsd said:
    Something like this iptables rule:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 1024:35000 -j REJECT

That's a huge range of ports to block for no good reason, especially as VNC is only enabled on localhost by default anyway. If it has been changed for some reason, change vnc_listen back to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf.

If you really want to use VNC with this set to localhost only, you can still use ssh port forwarding to achieve it.

• Greetings Tom!
    Been a while since we spoke, I hope all is well. Looks like you (once again) have a cool thing going on here. I'd be interested in tinkering around in all the wild stuff you get up to in Hetzner ServerLand. I have a few LXC ideas I'd like fiddle with. If you have room and are willing I'd like to join in the fun!
    Thanks, and let me know if you need some other info.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@thagoat said:
    Greetings Tom!
    Been a while since we spoke, I hope all is well. Looks like you (once again) have a cool thing going on here. I'd be interested in tinkering around in all the wild stuff you get up to in Hetzner ServerLand. I have a few LXC ideas I'd like fiddle with. If you have room and are willing I'd like to join in the fun!
    Thanks, and let me know if you need some other info.

Hello! Yeah, nice to hear from you! The only thing I need from you is your ed25519 ssh public key. Thanks! It will be nice to have you on the server! Best!

• Hello @Not_Oles
    I have no clue whatsoever as to how to create lxc and KVM vpses and hoping to learn

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!