Free MetalVPS Intel i9-13900 Traditional Shell Account! Make Your Own VPSes!

Comments

• @Not_Oles said:

@dough said:
    Hello @Not_Oles! I am a 15 year old student living in Romania, and I am gonna ask if I could maybe get a user account on MetalVPS? I will mostly use it for QEMU/KVM virtual machines. I have some pretty good linux experience since I use linux as my daily driver on my laptop.

My ed25519 public key is: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIBGIv5jPjpA8wazw+1odZrnQfjOvcMtoVysyPthAgDtN (generated with termux because I currently am not on my laptop.).

Looking forward to have an user on MetalVPS,
    Cheers, and thanks!

Hi @dough!

Here's the hamburger you wanted for your profile: 🍔

Additionally, please try ssh [email protected] -p 42365

Please post here in this thread to let us know how it goes! :)

Friendly greetings!

Tom

I would like to mention that I now have found out what went wrong and couldnt connect.

If possible, could I use the following key instead?

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIBq/3JiGc/6nKAr9I/5/AU+s0fk7NZYxGYeKDnb/doOA dough

Thank you!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

http://dough.h4ck.me/ - we gonna get out of mcdonalds with this one!!!

• edited April 2023

Hi @Not_Oles can i connect to the vps with only my ssh private key because i forgot to create a ppk file with puttygen. Best wishes! Ken

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said: I've made my own Alpine Linux proot environment

That's really cool! I really like it! You get double disk and double bandwidth! :)

If it's not too much trouble, can you please skim through your command history and post the sequence of commands needed to make this? Maybe add links to any tutorials you used plus also add your own comments.

Congrats! 🤩

Alright
    Here's how I made it
    mkdir proot-env
    cd proot-env
    wget https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.17/releases/x86_64/alpine-minirootfs-3.17.3-x86_64.tar.gz
    tar -xvf alpine-minirootfs-3.17.3-x86_64.tar.gz
    wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/goxybnoh26p6fr0/dist.tar
    tar -xvf dist.tar
    ./dist/proot -S . /bin/ash

Hi @iamvinh123! Thanks for posting this! I continue to think it's cool! Would it be too crazy to use Alpine edge and also to get proot directly out of the latest Github? Congrats again! Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@dough said:

@Not_Oles said:

@dough said:
    Hello @Not_Oles! I am a 15 year old student living in Romania, and I am gonna ask if I could maybe get a user account on MetalVPS? I will mostly use it for QEMU/KVM virtual machines. I have some pretty good linux experience since I use linux as my daily driver on my laptop.

My ed25519 public key is: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIBGIv5jPjpA8wazw+1odZrnQfjOvcMtoVysyPthAgDtN (generated with termux because I currently am not on my laptop.).

Looking forward to have an user on MetalVPS,
    Cheers, and thanks!

Hi @dough!

Here's the hamburger you wanted for your profile: 🍔

Additionally, please try ssh [email protected] -p 42365

Please post here in this thread to let us know how it goes! :)

Friendly greetings!

Tom

I would like to mention that I now have found out what went wrong and couldnt connect.

If possible, could I use the following key instead?

ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIBq/3JiGc/6nKAr9I/5/AU+s0fk7NZYxGYeKDnb/doOA dough

Thank you!

Hello @dough!

I added the new key to your /home/dough/.ssh/authorized_keys file. You can remove the old key if you are not going to be using it. Please let us know if you now can log in okay! Friendly greetings! Tom

@dough said: I dont think I may have posted the full public key. Does the hostname and user also need to be put with the public key?

Often the comment field for the public key contains the email address of the person whose key it is.

However, the comment field may be completely omitted and the key still should work. Maybe take a look at this Stack Overflow post.

With just one person logging into an account that one person might have different devices, each device having its own key. In the "one person" scenario, the comment field could name the devices.

When multiple people log in to a single account (for example, several guys administering a server), then the key comment might need to show which person in addition to which device the key belongs.

Hope this helps! Best wishes! :)

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

@itsmepaddi said:
    I just got QEMU working with VNC and SSH port forwarding. Later I will try to install an OS there.

Looks great! Congrats! Want to skim through your command history and post the steps you took to get this working? That would be super great! 🤩

Double disk and double bandwidth for @itsmepaddi! 🌟

@Nikitas said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Nikitas said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Nikitas said:
    Hello, @Not_Oles !
    I'm a student that wanted to learn about Linux and KVM.
    I'd like to get an account
    My SSH key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIJDeBFV0G56I4Pj05/G3BCPu658Q3OCS8uN33t/8d84m eddsa-key-20230419

@ExAjiMag said:
    Hi! @Not_Oles
    I want to learn KVM and Linux
    and I want to learn LXC . i want to get an account
    My SSH Key : ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIL4cEgOmOktDjKDzg7W1Bp5EFI4OgY8+fNAyKTcKC53P eddsa-key-20230419

Hi Guys! Welcome to LES! Want to share a little more, please, about who and where you are, your Linux experience, and what you want to do with Linux, KVM, and LXC? Thanks! Best wishes! Tom

Hello, I'm 14 years old student, live in USA. I know Linux well, I had Linux on my main PC! I want to try creating KVM virtual machines, learn more about Linux. Also I want to try creating LXC containers.

Hi @Nikitas!

Welcome to MetalVPS! Your account has been provisioned. Please try something like

ssh [email protected] -p 42365

Login should work on both IPv4 and IPv6. Password login has been disabled, but your password is in a mode 600 file in your home directory in case you need it later for sudo. You have been added to the kvm group but not yet to the sudo group.

It's important for you to know the contents of previous posts in the thread. Please read the entire thread before you start trying to create your first VPS. Check out especially the comments of @cpsd. Make sure to read the qemu slirp tutorial.

Please post here in this thread about any questions you have and also about what you are doing. It's always good to post in the thread because posting here allows everyone to answer your questions and to be inspired by your successes.

Best wishes on the server! Have fun! :)

Tom

Hi @Nikitas! Sorry for this inconvenience. A question came up about the information you provided to sign up. Could you please ask three people to email me their recommendations for you? It would be helpful if at least one of the three could be from a teacher or an administrator at your school. Another could be from one of your parents. The third can be a friend. Please ask your three senders to send their emails directly to the address on my profile. For the moment, your account has been suspended. However, your account can be restored as soon as additional verification is received. I am looking forward to restoring your account! Best wishes and kindest regards, Tom

Are there another ways? Can I rewrite my request?

Sure! Of course, yes, you can rewrite your request. :) Friendly greetings! :)

• Coming out of the woodwork is a real thing, I see :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@VMCreator said:
    Hi @Not_Oles can i connect to the vps with only my ssh private key because i forgot to create a ppk file with puttygen. Best wishes! Ken

Hey Ken!

On Linux I believe you can connect with the private key if the server has the corresponding public key. Sorry, I don't know about Microsoft stuff such as Putty.

On Linux you can generate the public key from the private key. Probably you can generate the public key from the private key on Microsoft too, but, again, I don't know.

If needed, you can just make a new set of public + private keys and we can try your new set.

Awhile back there was a guy who couldn't seem to make keys that worked. So I made a set of keys for him. He finally got in that way. So, no worries, we will figure out a way to get ssh log in working for you. :)

Best wishes! Have fun! :)

Tom

• Hi @Not_Oles !
    I rewrite my request.
    I would like to get an account.
    I'm 14 years old guy that live in U.S.A. I'm interested in virtualization technology, I want to try creating LXC containers, and try out speed of KVM Virtual Machines. Currently I am using Arch Linux on my 2nd machine. Also, I am currently learning Linux and Virtualization technology. So I want to practice creating KVM Virtual Machines, and LXC containers. I hope I'll be accepted!
    <I don't think I need to put SSH key here, because my account just got suspended.>

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited April 2023

Um @Not_Oles I can't seem to be able to modify '/home/nubuki/.cache/'
    I think have messed it up while toying with lxc
    Running ls with -la flag gives:

ls .cache -la                                            total 12 
    drwxr-xr-x  3 296608 296608 4096 Apr 19 00:26 .                      
    drwxr-xr-x 12 nubuki nubuki 4096 Apr 22 01:52 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  2 nubuki nubuki 4096 Apr 22 01:14 lxc

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!

• @Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

That's really cool! I really like it! You get double disk and double bandwidth! :)

If it's not too much trouble, can you please skim through your command history and post the sequence of commands needed to make this? Maybe add links to any tutorials you used plus also add your own comments.

Congrats! 🤩

Alright
    Here's how I made it
    mkdir proot-env
    cd proot-env
    wget https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.17/releases/x86_64/alpine-minirootfs-3.17.3-x86_64.tar.gz
    tar -xvf dist.tar

Hi @iamvinh123! Thanks for posting this! I continue to think it's cool! Would it be too crazy to use Alpine edge and also to get proot directly out of the latest Github? Congrats again! Tom

It would be great if I use Alpine edge + proot from GitHub

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

Congrats! 🤩

Alright
    Here's how I made it
    mkdir proot-env
    cd proot-env
    tar -xvf dist.tar

This https://github.com/Yonle/alpine-proot ?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!

• @Nubuki said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

@iamvinh123 said:

@Not_Oles said:

Congrats! 🤩

Alright
    Here's how I made it
    mkdir proot-env
    cd proot-env
    tar -xvf dist.tar

This https://github.com/Yonle/alpine-proot ?

Maybe yes

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Nikitas said:
    Hi @Not_Oles !
    I rewrite my request.
    I'm 14 years old guy that live in U.S.A. I'm interested in virtualization technology, I want to try creating LXC containers, and try out speed of KVM Virtual Machines. Currently I am using Arch Linux on my 2nd machine. Also, I am currently learning Linux and Virtualization technology. So I want to practice creating KVM Virtual Machines, and LXC containers. I hope I'll be accepted!
    <I don't think I need to put SSH key here, because my account just got suspended.>

Hi @Nikitas! Thanks for rewriting your request! May I please ask what evidence you can give us to show that you are 14 years old and that you live in the USA? I thought that having one of your teachers or an administrator at your school, plus a parent, plus a third person all send me emails might be an easy way to provide evidence. But maybe you have a better idea? Best wishes! Tom

@Nubuki said:

Should I send in the cavalry? :) I could delete the /home/nubuki/.cachedirectory if that's what you want. Or I could change the directory's permissions tonubuki:nubuki`. Or maybe something else? Please tell me what you want?

• edited April 2023

@Not_Oles said:

@Nikitas said:
    Hi @Not_Oles !
    I rewrite my request.

Hi @Nikitas! Thanks for rewriting your request! May I please ask what evidence you can give us to show that you are 14 years old and that you live in the USA? I thought that having one of your teachers or an administrator at your school, plus a parent, plus a third person all send me emails might be an easy way to provide evidence. But maybe you have a better idea? Best wishes! Tom

I don't have other idea. Maybe, I can say good luck to y'all, guys.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Nikitas said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Nikitas said:
    Hi @Not_Oles !
    I rewrite my request.

I don't have other idea. Maybe, I can say good luck to y'all, guys.

ok

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

@Nubuki said:

Should I send in the cavalry? :) I could delete the /home/nubuki/.cachedirectory if that's what you want. Or I could change the directory's permissions tonubuki:nubuki`. Or maybe something else? Please tell me what you want?

Oh please delete the directory then

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Teehee!

• @RtedPro said:
    Hi, @Not_Oles Can i get your linux vps, i want to try creating on if qemu kvm VM, i tryed on linux Wine which worked very good, heres my ssh public key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIAdxnYG6YQ7yl/JpMl1v2+NS9fnaf+NiWWyWLsC7PUcg

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Hi @Not_Oles i have generated a new key for metalvps server. I have saved my new key as a .ppk file now. My new public ssh key is ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIPkP1Z5wbHrfpMoeHKMkMHqppvs67xRE0mAJeUPOfQsL eddsa-key-20230422 Best wishes! Ken

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Hello @Not_Oles (again)!
    I'd like to rewrite my request because maybe you ignore it or you can't see it!
    I'm a student from Vietnam, a 13 years old boy. Now I'm studying coding Javascript and HTML and used linux for about 2 months, i also interested KVM
    Here is my SSH Key!:
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIHNhAKah0wn2mwUAIGMVX75uRH+LCLgU+Fm0c/qRQyQ/ eddsa-key-20230421
    Thanks a lot!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said:

@itsmepaddi said:
    I just got QEMU working with VNC and SSH port forwarding. Later I will try to install an OS there.

Looks great! Congrats! Want to skim through your command history and post the steps you took to get this working? That would be super great! 🤩

Double disk and double bandwidth for @itsmepaddi! 🌟

All what I do is just go to PuTTY configuration > SSH > Tunnel, then adding source port to 5900 (or any other port) and destination to 127.0.0.1:5900 (change 5900 to any port), then click "Add". Here's an image showing how to do so:

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

why are all these kids coming out of the woodwork

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles terrorgen
  • edited April 2023

Debian 11 running on MetalVPS via ssh tunneling.
    https://ibb.co/xLtRCQm
    Commands i used:

ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 {user@hostname here}
    {user}@fsn: qemu-system-x86_64 -display vnc=127.0.0.1:0 {rest of args here} {the 0 after the ip is the display, if you set it to 1 the port becomes 5901, if you set it to 2 it should become to 5902 i think.)
    vncviewer localhost:5900

Hope this helps for anyone else trying to run a VM with a GUI on MetalVPS!
    Cheers!

http://dough.h4ck.me/ - we gonna get out of mcdonalds with this one!!!

@Nikitas said: I can say good luck to y'all, guys.

Good luck to you too! You are welcome back any time. You are welcome to provide either updated information in a new request or evidence to back up the current information. Meanwhile, is it okay to delete your home directory?

Best wishes!

@Nubuki said:

@Not_Oles said:

@Nubuki said:

Oh please delete the directory then

root@fsn ~ # date 
    Sat Apr 22 07:42:34 PM UTC 2023
    root@fsn ~ # rm -r /home/nubuki/.cache
    root@fsn ~ # 

@RtedPro said:

@RtedPro said:
    Hi, @Not_Oles Can i get your linux vps, i want to try creating on if qemu kvm VM, i tryed on linux Wine which worked very good, heres my ssh public key: ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIAdxnYG6YQ7yl/JpMl1v2+NS9fnaf+NiWWyWLsC7PUcg

Hi @RtedPro!

Thanks for your interest in MetalVPS!

Whoops! Sorry! It looks like I missed your earlier post!

Since you have a new account here at LES, could you please introduce yourself?

• Please tell us a little about yourself, such as who and where you are.

• Do you have a website?

• Also please include a little about your computer education, experience, and interests.

• Additionally, what binaries are you running with Wine?

I look forward to welcoming you on the server! Also, I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time here at LES!

Best wishes!

Tom

@VMCreator said:
    Hi @Not_Oles i have generated a new key for metalvps server. I have saved my new key as a .ppk file now. My new public ssh key is ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIPkP1Z5wbHrfpMoeHKMkMHqppvs67xRE0mAJeUPOfQsL eddsa-key-20230422 Best wishes! Ken

Hey Ken!

Thanks for your persistence! I appreciate your friendly attitude too!

What I did is add your new key to your authorized keys file. You can remove the old key yourself if you are sure you won't need it any more.

Below is a transcript of my terminal output as I added the new key. One of the advantages of using the antique ed editor might be that it's easy to share edit session transcripts.

Please let us know if you now can log in. I want to make sure you get access to the server and that you have lots of fun.

Best wishes!

Tom

root@fsn /home/vmcreator/.ssh # ed authorized_keys 
    a
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIPkP1Z5wbHrfpMoeHKMkMHqppvs67xRE0mAJeUPOfQsL eddsa-key-20230422
    w
    1,$n
    1       ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIGV/KlwL17GtX51zxcNRHk6J/2zzIw9b0mrzpBMcQ/aV eddsa-key-20230420
    2       ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIPkP1Z5wbHrfpMoeHKMkMHqppvs67xRE0mAJeUPOfQsL eddsa-key-20230422
    q
    root@fsn /home/vmcreator/.ssh # 

@dinopotato said:
    Hello @Not_Oles (again)!
    I'd like to rewrite my request because maybe you ignore it or you can't see it!
    I'm a student from Vietnam, a 13 years old boy. Now I'm studying coding Javascript and HTML and used linux for about 2 months, i also interested KVM
    Here is my SSH Key!:
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIHNhAKah0wn2mwUAIGMVX75uRH+LCLgU+Fm0c/qRQyQ/ eddsa-key-20230421
    Thanks a lot!

Hi @dinopotato!

Thanks for rewriting your request! Somehow I missed your first try. I can see it now. I do not know how I missed it.

Now you can check my work to add your account:

root@fsn /home/dinopotato # ls -alR
    .:
    total 28
    drwx------  3 dinopotato dinopotato 4096 Apr 22 20:17 .
    drwxr-xr-x 21 root       root       4096 Apr 22 20:11 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 dinopotato dinopotato  220 Apr 22 20:11 .bash_logout
    -rw-r--r--  1 dinopotato dinopotato 3526 Apr 22 20:11 .bashrc
    -rw-r--r--  1 dinopotato dinopotato    0 Apr 22 20:11 .cloud-locale-test.skip
    -rw-------  1 dinopotato dinopotato   17 Apr 22 20:16 password
    -rw-r--r--  1 dinopotato dinopotato  807 Apr 22 20:11 .profile
    drwx------  2 dinopotato dinopotato 4096 Apr 22 20:17 .ssh

./.ssh:
    total 12
    drwx------ 2 dinopotato dinopotato 4096 Apr 22 20:17 .
    drwx------ 3 dinopotato dinopotato 4096 Apr 22 20:17 ..
    -rw------- 1 dinopotato dinopotato  100 Apr 22 20:18 authorized_keys
    root@fsn /home/dinopotato # cat .ssh/authorized_keys 
    root@fsn /home/dinopotato # 

I guess you already know:

• Password access has been disabled. You need your key to log in.
    • Your password is in a mode 600 file in your home directory.
    • Your password might be needed later for sudo. But you have not yet been added to the sudo group.
    • Feel free to change your password.
    • You have been added to the kvm group.
    • If you want to make a KVM VPS it is recommended to start with slirp following this tutorial.
    • Alternatives include setting up proot as described earlier in this thread.
    • Additional node configuration might be needed for LXC and non-slirp qemu.
    • Please post your questions and progress reports and tutorials here in this thread. It benefits everyone to help answer everyone else's questions and to learn from everyone else's progress reports and tutorials. So, please post here instead of sending me PMs (except if privacy really is necessary).

Thanks again @dinopotato! It's wonderful to have you with us on the server! I bet you will have a lot of fun and do great things! 🌟