How much power do I need for a seed box?

Curious if a 2 core box with a GB6 score of 600 and multi of 1100 with a large disk will be adequate to handle a a few applications?

Team push-ups!

Comments

• LetMeBeSadLetMeBeSad Hosting ProviderOG
    edited April 2023

Yes, unless you wish to transcode :)
    Speed will be limited as you have only 2 Cores.

P.S Also keep in mind, that apps will be slower than you expect, especially if you have large media.

Spaceberg.cc - Your favorite Seedbox provider!

• 2 cores + 512 MB RAM + large HDD/SSD + good internet speed is all you need.

1 core is also enough, but 2 is better. Download speed does not really change if you have 2 or more cores so dont worry about that, but it will limit the number of active torrents. So if you download 5 torrents with 50 max peers, you will get better speeds with 4 or more cores, but this is again limited by your disk speed. If you are using SSD + 1 Gbps (or higher) internet speed, then 4 cores are better.

If you run other applications, increase RAM accordingly as torrent can easily eat up 512 MB of ram.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• few years ago i'm running transmission-web+syncthing in ramnode's 128mb vps, it can seed 30+ torrent just fine.
    It was difficult since the vps is too small to run some sort of RSS downloader (like deluge-daemon+rss plugin or flexget+transmission-web) since it consume too much RAM.

In current year, qbitorrent-nox already have RSS integration (after like a decade waiting lol), so now I have setup qbitorrent-nox + syncthing in virmach's 384MB ram, run just fine with +20 active seeding. can't add more since the disk is limited

Thanked by (1)tenji

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• 1000 kilowatts.

• 1.21 JiggaWattz

Thanked by (3)Janevski cybertech shallow
  • How are you... online?

• @shallow said:
    MAX

No metal for you.

• It depends. Is turbo on or off?

• My seedbox is a very old Atom C2350 Dual Core with 4GB of RAM and it works fairly well. The HDD on it is the limiting factor, but if I had an SSD I could probably max out the 1Gbps link it has. Only time it really shows its weakness on the CPU side is when decompressing large archives, so I pull those down locally and decompress.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• Depends on how heavy the torrent stack is. Optimized client with nothing else running will be fine as long as you don't throw a bunch of torrents at it.

• How much is this cost?

• @Tiny said:
    How much is this cost?

$3.50 per month?

• I have a small vps C2338 2*1.8GHz, GB5 score 298, running transmission, and no problem at all. Speedtest reaches up to 928M( 1G port).

• @Astro does these comments answer your question?