So is our future going to be bun.js or deno.js 2? Or something else?

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hello!

So is our future going to be bun.js or deno.js 2? Or something else?

I've had this question in my sig for a few days. I'm still wondering what the answer is. I'm not trying to push any particular perspective. I'm just . . . wondering. What do you think?

Best!

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Comments

• bun looks easier to type

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
  • Jquery.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • The end is nigh.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • NDNts

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• IT industry is still going after ReactJS, so I guess it'll take some time for the change to happen...

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @legendary said:
    Jquery.

This

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Latest discussion on HN: Deno 1.33: Deno 2 is coming (deno.com)

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Good question!
    I had my first foray into deno today as a matter of fact, and it wasn't what I expected. I guess a hosted executable environment to run javascript is pretty awesome in theory, but I admit I have no idea what the hell I'm doing there. Time to experiment!!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @somik said:
    IT industry is still going after ReactJS, so I guess it'll take some time for the change to happen...

Agree. If the old one works, no one wants to try "new" ones.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • There was some discussions on HN about how Deno having sqlite built in and as the default KV store was a bad thing. Actually seems like a good feature to me, can't really see how it's any different to android using sqlite by default for configuration.

For me though, I really can't imagine why I'd want to use Javascript on the server anyway.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @dwight said:

@somik said:
    IT industry is still going after ReactJS, so I guess it'll take some time for the change to happen...

Agree. If the old one works, no one wants to try "new" ones.

Industry do not want to TRY. They only want reliability at cheap prices. If the system is already existing, they want to maintain it rather then re-code it in a new language as long as the language is not completely obsolete. Then again, some of US government servers runs on completely obsolete systems so ya...

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• edited May 2023

@somik said:
    Industry do not want to TRY. They only want reliability at cheap prices. If the system is already existing, they want to maintain it rather then re-code it in a new language as long as the language is not completely obsolete. Then again, some of US government servers runs on completely obsolete systems so ya...

IT companies only want to try things they have influence on; e.g., Microsoft tries to rewrite some libraries in Rust and Google writes many things in Go
    Government is different. our bureaucrats have to consider price, reliability, responsibility, and perhaps corruption...

• @dwight said:
    IT companies only want to try things they have influence on; e.g., Microsoft tries to rewrite some libraries in Rust and Google writes many things in Go

If the company has a product, and they themselves do not use it, they cannot market it. So if amazon themselves do not host their websites on AWS, why would I? Same thing if they have a stake in them. So ya, you are right there.

@dwight said:
    Government is different. our bureaucrats have to consider price, reliability, responsibility, and perhaps corruption...

Not only government, any large multinational company does this. Moreover they already have thousands of employees that are specialized in the programming language they are using. So they wont switch and suddenly sack all their employees and look for new. Doesn't make sense.

Startups tends to be more flexible in terms of the programming language, but they tend to go towards reliability and cheap, not something that's new or cutting age.