Plex People, do you use PlexAMP?

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Like the title says, I was wondering if those of you guys who are using Plex for Movies/TV Shows, also use PlexAMP as your daily driver for listening to music, or are you using Spotify/YT Music/Prime Music/Apple Music et. al.?

Please shortly state why/why not :)

Thanked by (1)echoadib

Comments

• I don't because building library on songs you have never heard of is difficult. Spotify/YT music suggestions are spot on sometimes.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@dosai said:
    I don't because building library on songs you have never heard of is difficult. Spotify/YT music suggestions are spot on sometimes.

This was exactly my line of thinking as to why I'm hesitant building up my music library is worth it.
    I love Spotify's "Discover/Radio" feature.

• @dosai said:
    I don't because building library on songs you have never heard of is difficult. Spotify/YT music suggestions are spot on sometimes.

Also, it's not fragmented like video. You only need one of these subscriptions to access almost all of the music that exists. So, I think it's a much better deal.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • I did but recently converted over to Navidrome. Plex ( as is normal for them ) made a design decision that they feel are obvious but annoys me. You can't have a playlist longer than 24h.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • edited May 2023

Honestly, I want to. But every time I start ripping and organizing music, I realize how much work and effort it will be, and I just say fuck it, I'll keep using Spotify.

For movies and tv shows, spread across 50 different streaming services, costing an insane amount each month, availability issues due to geo-restrictions, studio deals, and just lack of things, Plex is super great. But music is, at least for what we listen to, 99% available on Spotify/Apple Music/whatever, so $18/month for it is well worth it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

Considered it because I do have a home server w/ static IP so I could DIY it

...but if your music taste is far off mainstream then it's quite hard to build a library. Couldn't find anything on the eye patch seas and buying on bandcamp that gets expensive real fast.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @havoc said:

...but if your music taste is far off mainstream then it's quite hard to build a library. Couldn't find anything on the eye patch seas and buying on bandcamp that gets expensive real fast.

Interesting ... what sort of stuff you listening to that you can find on Spotify but not from 'other sources'?

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited May 2023

@skorous said:

@havoc said:

Interesting ... what sort of stuff you listening to that you can find on Spotify but not from 'other sources'?

Something like this. Mostly use it as background noise. Not impossible to find per se, but if I was into say Taylor Swift tracking down a bunch of FLACs would be easier

• @havoc said:

Something like this. Mostly use it as background noise. Not impossible to find per se, but if I was into say Taylor Swift tracking down a bunch of FLACs would be easier

Yeah, I was more surprised at how comprehensive Spotify is apparently. I've always figured if I couldn't find it then they wouldn't bother having it either.

• No point in building a music library.... Everything is available under 1 subscription and the music discover features are far better than self-hosted options. If you're looking for niche music, go ahead with YT music if you want since it has almost the entire youtube song library available. Apple Music is great too as it allows you to upload your own songs that are synced across all your devices. (Kind of like having your own custom songs library?)

• @tme said:
    No point in building a music library.... Everything is available under 1 subscription and the music discover features are far better than self-hosted options. If you're looking for niche music, go ahead with YT music if you want since it has almost the entire youtube song library available. Apple Music is great too as it allows you to upload your own songs that are synced across all your devices. (Kind of like having your own custom songs library?)

For now. Soon, there will be exclusive deals and it'll be Netflix/Disney/AmazonPrime all over again...

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• I love Plexamp. It's the closest to ideal service: good quality encodes, can download a playlist for listening offline, simple ratings, I have control over the metadata, etc. I use beets to organize my music and just dump that library on Plex.

I tried the music subscriptions. I was using Google/YouTube Music, but ran into a situation where they had an awful encode of an album I wanted. I'm not an audiophile, but trust me, this sounded like garbage. I switched to Tidal and the quality is much better, but I occasionally run into albums they're missing. For example, this album.

I still keep my Tidal subscription for music discovery.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

It's pronounced hacker.

• I use Pandora. Have had it since they started and it hits all the music I like no matter what I start with.