For those of you who had VMs with Stromonic that were transferred to Leapswitch

FrankZFrankZ Moderator
edited May 2023 in Industry News

For those that previously had a VM with Stromonic that was transferred to Leapswitch:

DO NOT use the "Cancel at end of billing cycle" cancellation option early.

I expect that many of us are planning on cancelling these Stromonic (now Leapswitch) VMs at the end of the billing cycle due to the renewal price being higher than Leapswitch's normal price for better specs. If you do this early, like I did, you will find that hostbill will cancel and delete your VM immediately. According to Leapswitch support this is due to when importing the client information from Stromonic's WHMCS billing system to Leapswitch's Hostbill system no payment information was transferred, since no payments were made to Leapswitch. Because of this Hostbill does not see the expiry date of the VM and cancels it within a few minutes of entering the "Cancel at the end of billing cycle" cancellation.

Leapswitch support was fast to replace my cancelled VM with a new one complete with the correct expiration date. So kudos to support for responding so quickly and professionally. But I figure most of you would rather avoid reinstalling and rebuilding your VMs from your backups as I am about to do now.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

Comments

• Same stuff happened to me, but they recreated one after raising a ticket.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • Quick question, @FrankZ @sh97 how many VPS do you guys own?!?

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

@somik said:
    Quick question, @FrankZ sh97 how many VPS do you guys own?!?

Of course the answer to that question is 42.

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:

@somik said:
    Quick question, @FrankZ sh97 how many VPS do you guys own?!?

Of course the answer to that question is 42.

No no no, VPS is NOT life! The answer, specially on LES/T better be 7!

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint yoursunny

• Oh, so they're still doing this?

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• @Brueggus said:
    Oh, so they're still doing this?

So 1 year down the line, they are still up to same no good business...

• @somik said:
    Quick question, @FrankZ @sh97 how many VPS do you guys own?!?

At this point I'm afraid to count. 🤣

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint FrankZ
  • @sh97 said:

@somik said:

The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. Now say it with me, "I am addicted to cheap VPS deals" :lol:

Thanked by (1)sh97

• edited May 2023

@somik said:

@sh97 said:

@somik said:

The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. Now say it with me, "I am addicted to cheap VPS deals" :lol:

I am hopelessly addicted to cheap VPS deals, especially the yearly deals under $20.

Edit:
    I did count now. 17 KVMs out of which 6 are free, 2 are shared with friends.

12 NAT Mini (OpenVZ with less than 256M RAM, 5GB storage)

• @sh97 said:

@somik said:

@sh97 said:

@somik said:

I am hopelessly addicted to cheap VPS deals, especially the yearly deals under $20.

Edit:

That is a lot of VPS!

Currently I rented only 1 VPS and 1 dedicated server. Rest of the VPS/Dedis are privately hosted locally.

Btw, if you come accross a yearly VPS deal under $20 in ASEAN region, PM/tag me as well :lol:

• @somik said:

@sh97 said:

@somik said:

@sh97 said:

@somik said:

Edit:

That is a lot of VPS!

Currently I rented only 1 VPS and 1 dedicated server. Rest of the VPS/Dedis are privately hosted locally.

Btw, if you come accross a yearly VPS deal under $20 in ASEAN region, PM/tag me as well :lol:

Indeed, that's a lot. I just discovered LE* last year so made a lot of impulse purchases.
    Will be dropping many when they expire this year.

Sure, will ping/tag you on $20-30 offers for Asian VPS.

• @sh97 said:

@somik said:

@sh97 said:

@somik said:

@sh97 said:

@somik said:

Edit:

That is a lot of VPS!

Indeed, that's a lot. I just discovered LE* last year so made a lot of impulse purchases.
    Will be dropping many when they expire this year.

Sure, will ping/tag you on $20-30 offers for Asian VPS.

Australia also ok! Thanks in advance!

• leapswitchleapswitch Hosting Provider

@FrankZ said:

For those that previously had a VM with Stromonic that was transferred to Leapswitch:

DO NOT use the "Cancel at end of billing cycle" cancellation option early.

I expect that many of us are planning on cancelling these Stromonic (now Leapswitch) VMs at the end of the billing cycle due to the renewal price being higher than Leapswitch's normal price for better specs. If you do this early, like I did, you will find that hostbill will cancel and delete your VM immediately. According to Leapswitch support this is due to when importing the client information from Stromonic's WHMCS billing system to Leapswitch's Hostbill system no payment information was transferred, since no payments were made to Leapswitch. Because of this Hostbill does not see the expiry date of the VM and cancels it within a few minutes of entering the "Cancel at the end of billing cycle" cancellation.

Leapswitch support was fast to replace my cancelled VM with a new one complete with the correct expiration date. So kudos to support for responding so quickly and professionally. But I figure most of you would rather avoid reinstalling and rebuilding your VMs from your backups as I am about to do now.

@sh97 said:
    Same stuff happened to me, but they recreated one after raising a ticket.

Apologies to both of you for this issue.

This wouldn't have happened but Hostbill recently made a change - https://hostbillapp.com/release-notes/05-15-2023.html

[Automation] Changed: Account cancelation requests will be processed according to account's expiration not due date

Prior to this change cancellation request were as per Next Due Date (date till which the account is invoiced, not paid). They changed it to Expiry date (date till which the account is paid). This field was empty for imported customers who did not pay a post-migration Leapswitch invoice as explained in the ticket.

I hope you continue with us as a Stromonic or a Leapswitch customer :)

Thank you!

Thanked by (3)FrankZ ehab skorous
  • @leapswitch said:
    This field was empty for imported customers

Have you changed that by now? 😉