BuyVM turns 10! New Stallion features launched: BGP Sessions, ISO Uploading, & 2F Authentication!

FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG
edited July 2020 in General

Just sent this mass email out:

===

Like all good parents, we forgot our child’s birthday – woops. A little over 10 years ago we took a gamble on a new product line: BuyVM. Between datacenter moves, power outages, DDOS attacks, and one too many networking configuration fat fingers, we’re still here! Thank you!

Now, onto the presents!

The past 2 months have been a development marathon for us starting with Backups & Snapshots in May/June. We’re happy to announce the availability of three new features: ISO uploading, Two Factor Authentication, and last but not least, BGP Sessions!

Automatic Backups & Snapshots

To recap the last email we sent: All KVM Slice’s in Las Vegas now support optional automatic backups. These backups run on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday with 2 weeks of backups kept. Backups can be purchased at https://my.frantech.ca by viewing your service, going to “Configurable Options”, and enabling them.

Snapshots are free to all users but have a limit of 5 per account. You can use snapshots to make a template of one VM and clone it to many others easily or have a rollback point you take before a big upgrade.

ISO Uploading

You can now upload your own ISO’s without any staff intervention inside of Stallion. All customers get 15GB of media storage with a 5GB file limit. ISO’s are automagically synchronized to all locations as well. A “share code” system also exists so sharing your ISO’s with other BuyVM users is easy and instant.

This feature is completely free for all customers with KVM based plans.

Two Factor Authentication

After countless requests and at least two change.org petitions, a TOTP based Two Factor Authentication system is available! No special apps are needed, it works perfectly with Google Authenticator, Authy, WinAuth, etc.

BGP Sessions

Have your own IP addresses that you wish to use on your KVM Slice’s? Now you can! BGP sessions are available in both Las Vegas and Luxembourg. We expect New York to be supported in a month or two when our new router arrives.

Once your ASN is approved we can register any manual prefixes you have an LOA for. All prefixes signed with RPKI for your ASN will automagically be imported. BGP communities are also available allowing you to block prefixes from being announced to certain upstreams, prepend routes, and null route IP addresses.

DDOS protection is not available at the moment but in the future, we may offer it as a fairly priced monthly cost. Past that BGP sessions are completely free and have no minimum term or setup fee. Customers just need to open a ticket with us to get their ASN approved.

I know we say it every time, but we truly mean it.

Thank you for the patronage.

Francisco

===

Since some people are probably curious, here's a shot of what a BGP session looks like:

Francisco

Tagged:

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Happy Birthday, Happy ISO's, Happy BGP, Happy 2FA!

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Happy Birthday :)

• edited July 2020

10 years ... wow... best wishes for 10 more years to come.

where is the party now?

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

It seems increasingly likely that BuyVM will one day be older than the age I am now and active. Here's to that!

• Happy birthday and congratulations! I have yet to grab a slice but am sure I will do so in the not too distant future :)

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • Happy Birthday! I don't have any service with you, but those 10 years and your customers speaks for itself. Congratulations!

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • Happy Birthday BuyVM. Will you run LES Exclusive Offers ?

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • @gtxr said:
    Happy Birthday BuyVM. Will you run LES Exclusive Offers ?

No way.

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • Happy birthday, Fran pls do some exclusive offers

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • _MS__MS_ OG
    edited July 2020

At his pricing and the included free services, he's running his business always on 'Offers', and for everyone.

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • @Francisco said: Snapshots are free to all users but have a limit of 5 per account.

Is this a total limit (i.e. at a time no more than 5 per account)? Can we keep taking snapshots of a VM (deleting/overwriting the old) so that we're below this limit? I was thinking more along the lines of a primary VM whose snapshot is updated periodically and which can be used to instantiate additional VMs based on that snapshot.

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@nullnothere said:

@Francisco said: Snapshots are free to all users but have a limit of 5 per account.

Is this a total limit (i.e. at a time no more than 5 per account)? Can we keep taking snapshots of a VM (deleting/overwriting the old) so that we're below this limit? I was thinking more along the lines of a primary VM whose snapshot is updated periodically and which can be used to instantiate additional VMs based on that snapshot.

The total is shared between all vm's in your account. You can snapshot a VM and then restore it to another VM within the same location.

Francisco

Thanked by (1)nullnothere
  • FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

@gtxr said:

No offers at the moment.

Francisco

• visualwebtechnovisualwebtechno Hosting ProviderOG

Wish you very Happy Birthday

@Francisco said:

@gtxr said:

No offers at the moment.

Francisco

Not even any servers generally, I was trying to buy one the other day to run part of the ads system and no stock, no stock, no stock on everything I clicked.

It’s good to be king I guess :+1:

• Happy Birthday BuyVM :)

• MaxKVMMaxKVM Hosting Provider

@Francisco
    I am certain you have active accounts older than this, (with some probably in this thread) but I just dug this up:

Here's to another 10 years! Happy Birthday!

• @MaxKVM said:
    @Francisco
    I am certain you have active accounts older than this, (with some probably in this thread) but I just dug this up:

Here's to another 10 years! Happy Birthday!

Wow, older than me

Thanked by (3)vpsgeek3333 MaxKVM Naix
    edited July 2020

bazinga!

• You guys aren't impressing me:

It was my first VPS ever and my first real chance to learn about networking, server management, etc. I was running some dedicated servers previously, but with BuyVM I was able to experiment freely with a personal server while I was still a minor and didn't have much money to spare.

Woah, ten years already and it feels like it was yesterday.

• edited July 2020

Happy Bday Pony.

• You got me with the snapshots... I love me snapshots. Don't use them frequently but to be able to be able to take a snapshot, try something new then go right back if I don't like it or it failed is such a massive time saver

• edited July 2020

But Luxembourg is always out of stock D:
    Anyway, happy birthday!

• @Nyr said:
    You guys aren't impressing me:

It was my first VPS ever and my first real chance to learn about networking, server management, etc. I was running some dedicated servers previously, but with BuyVM I was able to experiment freely with a personal server while I was still a minor and didn't have much money to spare.

Woah, ten years already and it feels like it was yesterday.

Wow, grandfather acc man :))

• I got a Credit Card and linked my Paypal to it, just to have the $15/yr ovz-128 legally in my name.
    Congratulations on the decade Fran.

• Not as old as the rest, BuyVM was technically my second VPS, after I got fooled by a "then" Summer Host called "AsuraHosting" which disappeared within a month(AsuraHosting website is up again, not sure if they are the same guys)

Happy Birthday, BuyVM/Fran! Thanks for the great service at such a low cost as I was right out of college and could hardly afford anything back then, BuyVM is probably the first thing that pops up when someone says "VPS".

Thanked by (2)Naix vimalware
  • Happy Birthday Fran! Another 10 more good years at least!

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Know we know who's senior :p

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    Know we know who's senior :p

Waves typing stick angrily

• Happy Birthday :)

I'm feeling I'm asking stupid question but really can't figure out where to upload ISO. Could someone give me a hint?

And snapshots are disabled too.