0.00%
    8. Other/Not Listed
        7.81%
    9. Linux wha..? BSD FTW!
        3.13%

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Thanked by (1)WebHostingDomain

Comments

• I learned on Debian and never ran into a situation that made me switch to a different distro.

• You don't need to list arch. Their users will tell you they use arch without you asking them.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• Debian, tks.

Thanked by (1)poisson

BF/CM - Buyer Beware. Conduct your own due diligence on the sustainability of the deals presented here as well as the provider's track record.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Centos thx

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint beagle

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I've always wanted to try CentOS/RHEL, but their package system is too confusing for me. Every guide for installing software tells you to add some repositories, and each blog lists different ones! Coming from Debian I instinctively think it poses a security risk and is a maintenance hassle (what if some repository goes down?). Same applies to Ubuntu.

Sadly all "difference between debian and centos" blog posts I find are SEO text.

• Ubuntu, For being out-of-the-box.

• Windows NT 4.0

FTW!!!!!

• Debian, thx.

• efXefX OG
    edited November 2019

Also Debian

• Debian for most things, Ubuntu for a tiny number of things and CentOS only where WHM/cPanel is required.

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• No surprise for the popularity of debian here. Stable and easy to use. Because I started my servers with Debian, I went for a Debian derivative for desktop.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• General Debian

For small specs servers I like centos.

• I started out with CentOS, then switched to Debian and never looked back.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• TinyCoreLinux

• Debian on the original XBox. Next favorite, Raspbian.

Yes, I did read the question.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

Debian min. Install always.

• Has the Gentoo crowd moved to Arch?
    Never heard of RancherOS, guess I stopped paying attention to DistroWatch ... :p

• aRNoLDaRNoLD OG
    edited November 2019

I tried Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS. It could be great that Debian LTS last as long as CentOS, ten years.

If I am to pick only one distro, then it is Debian, plus ver jessie/buster. It was CentOS if I was asked last year.

• @poisson said:
    No surprise for the popularity of debian here. Stable and easy to use. Because I started my servers with Debian, I went for a Debian derivative for desktop.

Curious, what's your desktop distro?

• @Janevski said:
    TinyCoreLinux

That's something.

• poisson said: I went for a Debian derivative for desktop.

terrorgen said: Curious, what's your desktop distro?

Rahul said: Ubuntu, For being out-of-the-box.

AmIRight ?

• Ubuntu is not the only Debian based out of the box distro, bro...

• @terrorgen said:

@poisson said:
    No surprise for the popularity of debian here. Stable and easy to use. Because I started my servers with Debian, I went for a Debian derivative for desktop.

Curious, what's your desktop distro?

Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. A second derivative of Debian (using a calculus analogy).

I think Mint is the best out of the box solution that can rival Windows and Mac in terms of driver support and a great GUI. Some people have issues with them being ok with proprietary drivers and thus not entirely FOSS in spirit but seriously, if you need a highly useable daily driver, don't be so inflexible. Even newer hardware works like a charm in terms of automagically detecting drivers (my GTX 1070 Nvidia drivers were automatically installed from repo).

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint terrorgen

• Sometimes "automagical" means it's too different from my preferences. Would still be able to recommend for other people. (Not the same people that prefers a tiling WM ...) That's the beauty of FOSS and Linux/UNIX, options and easy to customize ... B)

• edited November 2019

On the desktop, i switched from Slackware to Mandrake/Mandriva to Ubuntu Hardy Heron, to Mint Felicia and onwards to current Mint. plus, of course trying various distros along the way. There's also LMDE for the debian thnx crew. ;)
    On a server it's either CentOS or debian depending on the software stack used/enforced.
    Perhaps I should see what all the fuss is about with Ubuntu server.

Thanked by (2)poisson terrorgen

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• My main one is Debian, but unfortunately sometimes I need to use CentOs and currently I'm beginning to test Alpine.

• alpine linux

• Debian user here =)

• CentOS mostly, Debian when application requires.