Sweet server at Hetzner?

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Is this a sweet spot = the most server for the least expense = the point of diminishing returns?

• Intel Xeon E3-1275v5 (CPU-B 8292)
  • 2x SSD M.2 NVMe 512 GB
  • 4x RAM 16384 MB DDR4 ECC
  • NIC 1 Gbit - Intel I219-LM
  • Rescue system (English)

€ 39.50 / month ex VAT

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Thanked by (1)Asim

Comments

• Looks great offer! Are you going to get it?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited October 2020

Already placed the order. ? But Hetzner has a generous free trial period, so, if there's something that would be significantly better for not much more, I could change. What do you guys think?

Thanked by (1)sonic

• And "unlimited" 1gbps (30tb) traffic with 64gb of ram? Yea not gonna find that anywhere else.

The next upward substantial chunk of improvement might look like this:

• 20% better CPU benchmark
    • 100% more RAM
    • 100% more NVMe disk space

€ 99.16 / month ex VAT = 150% higher price

@sureiam said: And "unlimited" 1gbps (30tb) traffic with 64gb of ram?

I'm not sure about the 30 TB, but the servers I've already tried all score 1 Gbps on yabs.

• Oh dont you love Ryzen

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Pwnage!

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Hetzner_OL

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

@sonic said:
    Oh dont you love Ryzen

So! AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core € 34.00 / month with 64 GB RAM and 2 x 512 GB NVMe.

€ 5.50 / month less than the server in the original post.

• That's an auction server right? Doesn't seem so great to me, unless you need the nvme disk. Not so much ram, not so much cpu, there are comparable auction servers with hdd's for just over half the price last I looked. And there are the AX servers that are faster and have much more ram.

Also that is not a 1 week free trial, or at least it's not pitched that way. There's a legally mandated order cancellation period that lets you back out of the order if in your judgment something is wrong with the server, but doing that too much is considered abuse.

Now that you've ordered the server I'd say go ahead and use it for a month (nice thing about no setup fee), and then if you see something else you like better, cancel the existing one and migrate to a new one.

@thedp said:
    Pwnage!

Lots of really knowledgeable people here. Very kind folks too. Thanks to all for friendly help!

@willie said: That's an auction server right?

Yes, it's an auction server. It didn't dawn on me that there would be servers in the regular lineup that would be less than the auction servers.

I wasn't aware that the "free trial" was legally mandated. It's not my intention to cause any trouble for Hetzner. I wrote to them offering to pay them for the trials I was doing, but maybe they are prohibited from accepting it.

Here I am just having fun reading the .vimrc file in the installer. :) And other stuff like that. :)

edited October 2020

8292 vs 17857

• Hetzner is the best overall. But, if you have specific requirements, there might be better options.

Assuming the best value for money is required:

RAM - 128/256GB Hetzner Auction Servers.
    SSD - NetCup RS (highest end has 2TB at 46 euros), distant second and third Contabo and SSDNodes.
    CPU - NetCup RS 8/16GB VDS, if variable performance is allowed, Contabo SSD VPS in Missouri.
    HDD - Hetzner SX or WebNX (roughly 2 dollar per TB).
    Bandwidth - Hetzner Cloud and NetCup RS servers.

• @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner is the best overall. But, if you have specific requirements, there might be better options.

Assuming the best value for money is required:

RAM - 128/256GB Hetzner Auction Servers.
    SSD - NetCup RS (highest end has 2TB at 46 euros), distant second and third Contabo and SSDNodes.
    CPU - NetCup RS 8/16GB VDS, if variable performance is allowed, Contabo SSD VPS in Missouri.
    HDD - Hetzner SX or WebNX (roughly 2 dollar per TB).
    Bandwidth - Hetzner Cloud and NetCup RS servers.

Thanks so much!

• The E3 : I've seen that config go for 35-36 euros. (though not in this week)
    The E5v3: I would instead pick up the 56-58 Euro one with 256gb ram and 2x480 DC-SSD. (lowest it has gone, is an insane 53 euros! )

I wasn't aware the e5v3s were capable of taking Nvme upgrades. So, it might be worth upgrading that 256gb special with FRESH 2x Nvme 960 to get a box suitable for handing out 8gb ram KVM.

The upgrade would be 33 eur/m for 2x nvme(data center)
    Or just 24 eur/m for 2x 1tb Nvme (consumer)

But do ask support first about it before.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Why would anybody pick the original E3-1275v5 at € 39.50 instead of the Ryzen 5 3600 at € 34.00 given that the RAM and disk are the same? Bench 8292 vs 17857 seems like a big diference?

The auction is just there waiting for some idiot like me? :)

• If you are crossing the 30 euro threshold, then the auction servers don't compare with their main lineup. Especially, after the introduction of AX servers.
    Also, keep in mind, I don't know much about the SSDs in auction servers, but the HDDs are more than 50000 hours of usage.

For netcup offers visit: Netcup Codes Root server and VPS vouchers || Deutsche Version - Netcup Gutschein

• @Not_Oles said:
    Why would anybody pick the original E3-1275v5 at € 39.50 instead of the Ryzen 5 3600 at € 34.00 given that the RAM and disk are the same? Bench 8292 vs 17857 seems like a big diference?

The auction is just there waiting for some idiot like me? :)

The Ryzen is 34 euro in Finland, 39 in Germany. Also, a 39 euro setup fee.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • you don't pay vat

lucky

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @Not_Oles said: Why would anybody pick the original E3-1275v5 at € 39.50 instead of the Ryzen 5 3600 at € 34.00 given that the RAM and disk are the same?

The E3 has ECC ram, Ryzen supports it but it's an aditional 5EUR/month. Plus the setup fee.

Thanked by (2)vimalware Not_Oles

¡Saludos! :sunglasses: ?? ?? ?? ??

This is Hetzner AX51-NVME in Helsinki

€ 54.00 monthly excl VAT once-off setup: € 59.00

What do you guys think of this server? :)

Can anyone suggest a better deal? :)

¡Gracias!

root@ryzen ~ # curl -sL yabs.sh | bash
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-09-21                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sun 25 Oct 2020 06:09:10 PM CET

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 16 @ 2195.552 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 62Gi
    Swap       : 31Gi
    Disk       : 906G

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 520.73 MB/s (130.1k) | 1.18 GB/s    (18.5k)
    Write      | 522.10 MB/s (130.5k) | 1.19 GB/s    (18.6k)
    Total      | 1.04 GB/s   (260.7k) | 2.38 GB/s    (37.1k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 1.28 GB/s     (2.5k) | 1.33 GB/s     (1.3k)
    Write      | 1.35 GB/s     (2.6k) | 1.42 GB/s     (1.3k)
    Total      | 2.64 GB/s     (5.1k) | 2.76 GB/s     (2.7k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 925 Mbits/sec   | 868 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 926 Mbits/sec   | 865 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 926 Mbits/sec   | 931 Mbits/sec  
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 897 Mbits/sec   | busy           
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 730 Mbits/sec   | 131 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 876 Mbits/sec   | 611 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 830 Mbits/sec   | 430 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | busy           
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy           

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 914 Mbits/sec   | 912 Mbits/sec  
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 913 Mbits/sec   | 759 Mbits/sec  
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 911 Mbits/sec   | 916 Mbits/sec  
    Wifx            | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 902 Mbits/sec   | 710 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 866 Mbits/sec   | 173 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | busy           

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1347                          
    Multi Core      | 8988                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4369863

root@ryzen ~ # 

• Well what do you want in a server? That one has lots of cpu, lots of ssd, and lots of ram. Do you want to pay for all that? Do you want something even more powerful, that will cost more? As always it's about your requirements. I like lots of cheap storage which means HDD. I like lots of cpu but don't care that much about ram. If it were me I'd probably get the 3600x version which is a little slower and has less ssd, but is cheaper. Then I'd supplement it with a storage box or similar.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@willie said:
    Well what do you want in a server?

Users who know more than me (so I can learn). :)

Users who know less than me (or are just starting out) but want to learn are equally great! I want to watch each of these users surpass me! :)

Users who also pay their share of the cost of running the servers plus a little more.

The Xeon D-1521 servers at OVH were great for me. I don't need much! But few people here seemed interested in such (relatively, these days) low power machines. Maybe the Ryzen might be more attractive here?

It's good whatever happens! I'm enjoying the desert sunshine! ?️ :sunglasses:

Greetings from Sonora! :)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Hosting ProviderOG

@willie said:
    Also that is not a 1 week free trial, or at least it's not pitched that way. There's a legally mandated order cancellation period that lets you back out of the order if in your judgment something is wrong with the server, but doing that too much is considered abuse.

Exactly. There is a consumer protection law about this. However, customers who repeatedly cancel their orders will make themselves look quite suspicious. (Unfortunately, spammers and scammers are also aware of this law and use it to try to get access to free servers.) If you repeatedly cancel your servers as part of the 14-day policy, you may make yourself look suspicious to our sales team. Or, at best, they may simply think you're taking advantage of the company. Some people who weren't aware of this accidentally got themselves banned as customers in the past.

If you or anyone else here on LES is not sure about which server you should get, our team would much rather you talk to our technicians in the Sales department first, before ordering anything. Considerable time and effort goes into re-deploying servers after customers cancel them. --Katie

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

We're Katie and Lea and we'll do our best to answer questions you have about Hetzner Online. We and not our employer are responsible for any horrible puns and dated cultural references.

• williewillie OG
    edited October 2020

Users who also pay their share of the cost of running the servers plus a little more.

I see, you mean you want to host other users on the server. In that case the one you mentioned is very nice, I would say. The AX61 might be a possible alternative (2x ram, 2x disk, maybe 1.3x cpu because of more cores but lower clock speed). I see you already doing something similar with an AX161 in another thread. I think I'd start with that and see how it goes, before expanding into additional servers. Also, some users might prefer Germany locations to HEL, even if it costs a little more. And some might be willing to give up ipv4, or accept NAT-only v4, if it saved some costs.

I myself tend to use Hetzner for storage and computation (both are cheap there) but for live services I prefer North American locations since I'm in the US. For that reason large European monthly VPS don't interest me that much unless they are storage servers.

I continue to enjoy the sweet AX51NVME server I am renting from Hetzner!

Earlier today I was delighted by confirmation, both from Hetzner accounting and from my bank, that Hetzner received what I hope is merely the first of many payments from me.

Thanks again to Katie @Hetzner_OL and to Herr Arno Pirner for help getting an account started! :) Thanks also to the friendly Hetzner support engineers who promptly answered initial questions.

With ❤️-felt gratitude, best wishes, and kindest regards! ????? ?️???‍?​

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

• TheDPTheDP OG
    edited October 2020

I'm keeping an eye out for AX41-NVMe transfers ?

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @Not_Oles what about carving up a SX62 and doing some dirt cheap storage?

@vish said: @Not_Oles what about carving up a SX62 and doing some dirt cheap storage?

How should the storage be priced in order to generate revenue sufficient to pay for the server?

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

• @Not_Oles said:

@vish said: @Not_Oles what about carving up a SX62 and doing some dirt cheap storage?

How should the storage be priced in order to generate revenue sufficient to pay for the server?

$/GB

$5/TB/Month would have me signing up ;)