HestiaCP running successfully inside an unprivileged LXC container VPS!

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

HestiaCP is an open source web server control panel.

Customers have been asking me for a control panel, so I decided to try installing HestiaCP inside an unprivileged LXC container running on a Hetzner AX51-NVMe.

The simple, two step install instructions on the above linked HestiaCP page were fast and easy! The unprivileged LXC container had been installed with Proxmox's default Debian 10.5 image and then upgraded to 10.6. That Proxmox default image has Postfix installed, so I ran apt purge postfix prior to installing HestiaCP.

The install completed quickly and cleanly. There were no errors. Hestia successfully sent the install success email. Everything came up working well enough to let me log into the HestiaCP web GUI and click around.

A bit of additional testing might be good. Does anyone want to help test?

Can anyone suggest another open source web GUI control panel that I ought to try?

Here's what HestiaCP looks like:

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Thanks for sharing!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • edited November 2020

Centos(/Control)WebPanel on CentOS 7 might be an interesting challenge for you.

That HestiaCP black theme takes me back to mid-1980s curses sysadmsh, nearly. Gimme light! :p

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Massimo

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Is Hestia the one later forked to become VestaCP? I played with Vesta a little. It had a crazily cpu-hungry installation step because of public crypto key generation. After installation though, it was fairly nice and seemed to work ok, though it had far fewer features than cpanel. That was a few versions ago and I think they were working on speeding up the installation, so maybe that issue is fixed by now.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@willie said: Is Hestia the one later forked to become VestaCP?

Hestia and myvesta were forked from Vesta. Of the three, Hestia seems to be the most LXC friendly. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Our @vyas has an article on Control Panels: https://amarvyas.in/what-are-server-management-panels/

Thanked by (1)vyas

• ApisCP is not open-source, but it claims to be non-functional on anything except KVM. I really love the panel though. It would be cool if you can figure out how to disprove their claim :tongue:

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles Ympker
  • Been using Hestia nearly 9month auto update/upgrade was smooth.
    You can try CyberPanel on LXC environment

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Unixfy said: ApisCP is not open-source

ApisCP is an open-source hosting platform for your PHP, Ruby, Node, Python, and Go projects.

Please see also https://gitlab.com/apisnetworks/apnscp

Well, perhaps the "not" accidentally fell into your sentence? :)

@Unixfy said: I really love the panel

Would you please kindly share just a bit about what it is that you love about ApisCP?

Under "Requirements" at https://github.com/apisnetworks/apiscp-docs it says "Bare-metal or virtualization (kvm, xen, VMWare, Hyper-V). Containers (OpenVZ, LXC, Docker) are not supported." Conceivably that could mean merely that the developers don't test on LXC and don't offer support for LXC? We can try it. Maybe run it with strace. Or check the source for system calls not permitted within unprivileged LXC containers.

Maybe there could be an "lxc-compat" program that can check whether another program can be run inside unsupported LXC containers? :)

Thanked by (1)vyas

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Hosting Provider
    edited November 2020

You can give a try fastpanel.direct , some of our users are using it without any issue on KVM, not on LXC though...

wWw.AlbaHost.Net .AL domains, Dedicated Servers, VPS/VDS and Hosting Services. Geo located in Albania.

• @Not_Oles said:

ApisCP is an open-source hosting platform for your PHP, Ruby, Node, Python, and Go projects.

@Unixfy said: I really love the panel

Would you please kindly share just a bit about what it is that you love about ApisCP?

Under "Requirements" at https://github.com/apisnetworks/apiscp-docs it says "Bare-metal or virtualization (kvm, xen, VMWare, Hyper-V). Containers (OpenVZ, LXC, Docker) are not supported." Conceivably that could mean merely that the developers don't test on LXC and don't offer support for LXC? We can try it. Maybe run it with strace. Or check the source for system calls not permitted within unprivileged LXC containers.

Maybe there could be an "lxc-compat" program that can check whether another program can be run inside unsupported LXC containers? :)

You should check your GitLab link, it might be source viewable at the most, they explicitly mention commercial license at the bottom.

@AlbaHost said:
    You can give a try fastpanel.direct , some of our users are using it without any issue on KVM, not on LXC though...

Fastpanel looks really slick. I remember reading about it a while ago? It is free for now, right? Wonder when they gonna price hike.

@Ympker said:

@AlbaHost said:

Fastpanel looks really slick. I remember reading about it a while ago? It is free for now, right? Wonder when they gonna price hike.

Well until now it's still free, using them for more than a year. You can choose the license for as many month as you wan't to use the panel for free.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

wWw.AlbaHost.Net .AL domains, Dedicated Servers, VPS/VDS and Hosting Services. Geo located in Albania.

• @AC_Fan said:

@Not_Oles said:

You should check your GitLab link, it might be source viewable at the most, they explicitly mention commercial license at the bottom.

So, frontpage says "ApisCP is an open-source hosting platform", and the licence on Gitlab says "All components except for third-party modules and ApisCP modules are licensed under a commercial license."
    ... So, it's not opensource, then? (I assume open means more than visible, if it's opensource, I should be able to use the code in some way?)

@AlbaHost said:

@Ympker said:

@AlbaHost said:

Well until now it's still free, using them for more than a year. You can choose the license for as many month as you wan't to use the panel for free.

Are you able to change IPs at any time?

Thanked by (1)AlbaHost
  • @flips said:

@AC_Fan said:

@Not_Oles said:

So, frontpage says "ApisCP is an open-source hosting platform", and the licence on Gitlab says "All components except for third-party modules and ApisCP modules are licensed under a commercial license."
    ... So, it's not opensource, then? (I assume open means more than visible, if it's opensource, I should be able to use the code in some way?)

Yup, it's definitely confusing. I would say that the "open source" on the website is an error, and they meant source visible.

• Dont know if you already tried, ispconfig is another open source panel to try.

Keyhelp is closed source, but free.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

My reliable providers : Ramnode : HostHatch : Serverica : InceptionHosting : AlphaVps : LittleCreekHosting : NexusBytes : Hostodo

edited November 2020

@Ympker said:

@AlbaHost said:

@Ympker said:

@AlbaHost said:

Yes of course, try it, it's free and it takes 2 min to install that panel.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited November 2020

@AlbaHost said:

@Ympker said:

@AlbaHost said:

@Ympker said:

@AlbaHost said:

Yes of course, try it, it's free and it takes 2 min to install that panel.

Will do, thanks :)

@niceboy said:
    Dont know if you already tried, ispconfig is another open source panel to try.

Would also really appreciate it if you gave those two a try @Not_Oles :)

• @AlwaysSkint said: That HestiaCP black theme takes me back to mid-1980s curses sysadmsh, nearly. Gimme light!

?‍♂️?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @Not_Oles said: ApisCP is an open-source hosting platform for your PHP, Ruby, Node, Python, and Go projects.

Well, perhaps the "not" accidentally fell into your sentence?

When I say "open-source", I meant "FOSS" and ApisCP is not FOSS. But technically, some of the source is open, so it's in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

@niceboy said:

Dont know if you already tried, ispconfig is another open source panel to try.

@Ympker said:

Would also really appreciate it if you gave those two a try @Not_Oles

@Ympker Thanks for asking! I'm probably not going to try Keyhelp because I like open source. Ispconfig is a possibility for trying, but it might be awhile. Please send me a PM if you want an LXC container to try these yourself.

Best wishes from the Sonoran Desert! ?️ :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

is it possible to install it on docker ? I stil failed to do so.

• @Falzo I know! I was being facetious, as I hate dark themes. Yo, @seriesn d'ya hear me. ;)

Thanked by (1)Falzo

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @Falzo I know! I was being facetious, as I hate dark themes. Yo, @seriesn d'ya hear me. ;)

Yes dad. It will be gone soon.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @seriesn said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @Falzo I know! I was being facetious, as I hate dark themes. Yo, @seriesn d'ya hear me. ;)

Some of us prefer it dark (though I really don't like the DirectAdmin dark theme, not sure exactly why) ...

• edited November 2020

@seriesn said: Yes dad.

Oi! Stop mocking my grey hair. :'( You're only as old as you feel (90) .

• @flips said:

@seriesn said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

Some of us prefer it dark (though I really don't like the DirectAdmin dark theme, not sure exactly why) ...

DA is toooooo dark.

@AlwaysSkint said:

@seriesn said: Yes dad.

Oi! Stop mocking my grey hair. :'( You're only as old as you feel (90) .

Sorry dad.

• nemnem Hosting ProviderOG
    edited November 2020

@AC_Fan said:

@flips said:

@AC_Fan said:

@Not_Oles said:

Yup, it's definitely confusing. I would say that the "open source" on the website is an error, and they meant source visible.

Lot to take in here,

"Source-available" is the pedantic categorization, but this kind of proves the point how unknown that term is. Several components of ApisCP are indeed licensed under FOSS-compatible licenses available on GitHub, including Web Apps, end-user documentation, etc. Basically there needs to be a term that provides some disambiguation from panels whose source is obfuscated or restricted in some way. This term needs to also be understood in an elevator pitch, so we contrast the closed source with "open". ApisCP does its best to be transparent with code because black box system administration is such a pain when something breaks. We end up with this hybrid license where several components are free, others open, but distribution restrictions prevent one from outright copying and rebranding it for their own gain.

It's in effort to avoid an 800 lbs Amazon gorilla and make sure I have food on the table without relying on a freemium model or sacrificing quality. Plus it puts some personal accountability on the table.

Thanked by (1)flips