The "New" great debate: Centos "alternative"

2»

Comments

• yokowasisyokowasis Services Provider

@PHP_Backend said:

@yokowasis said:
    only allowed battle tested package / repo?

The challenge is, who will fight the battle?

Ubuntu has butt load of derivatives

and, none of them are that much stable to use in server env. (correct me if I am wrong)

Because Ubuntu lts exists. Why would make something which already exists. The centos we know and love is gone.

• @PHP_Backend said: And, moving to non-rpm system is out of question (for now). There are huge amount of codebase that targets rpm-based system. Changing those codebase is a big no no. That amount of work will never justify the reason to move out.

What about openSUSE?

• @seriesn said: The overhead never felt that major on this tbh. Pretty sure once you remove LVE and all the fancy stuff that Cl Introduced, the OS would and should feel lean. Doubt they will be throwing in their signature products in the free version.

Yup, you read my mind! :-)

Thanked by (1)seriesn

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Of course, it's a money grab. Discovered too many people run CentOS rather than RHEL, especially as cPanel can run both. Their timing is crap though: should've done this before cPanel raised their prices. :#
    CentosWebPanel have touted they will fork a "stable" RHEL. Feck that!
    Background: They don't have a clue what stable is and break CWP every other week. Even when set to stable releases it gets updated with untested stuff and the settings below make absolutely no odds.

Stable (Stable version, at least two weeks tested)
    Latest (Latest version, NOT fully tested)

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Of course, it's a money grab. Discovered too many people run CentOS rather than RHEL, especially as cPanel can run both. Their timing is crap though: should've done this before cPanel raised their prices. :#
    CentosWebPanel have touted they will fork a "stable" RHEL. Feck that!
    Background: They don't have a clue what stable is and break CWP every other week. Even when set to stable releases it gets updated with untested stuff and the settings below make absolutely no odds.

They changed their name Btw ;)

• @AlwaysSkint said:

Stable at least two weeks = Debian Testing if I recall correctly ... :p

• @seriesn said: They changed their name Btw

It has been a dual identity (ControlWebPanel) for at least a year. ;)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited December 2020

centos4laif

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

From https://github.com/rocky-linux/rocky

@Clouvider @SpryServers_Tab, curious how you guys are supporting Rocky. Providing servers for builds/mirrors or something of that sort?

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• Since people are dropping cP for DA and DA supports Debian 10 of 10 , I would expect to see more people choosing the GREAT and ONLY Debian (thanks) , since in reality is one of the best Linux OS IF not the BEST.

Otherwise CL is the NO BRAINER. Since most people also pay for cL, specially when they want to manage resources efficiently when hosting many accounts.

My big regret is installing CentOS 8 with DA on a production server and then a month later seeing this. :)

• edited December 2020

@AlwaysSkint said: I've been running CL for a few years, to support older PHP on cPanel

That's a killer feature of CloudLinux, I'm really and sincerely grateful for.

I have quite an old and rather large phpBB forum, which uses phpBB 3.0.x (already forgot the exact version). It is heavily modified (including phpBB-SEO). Those, who have been manually installing mods on older phpBB (by editing the code) will immediately realize what a major PITA would be to upgrade it to something newer.

Right now I already forgot which mods are installed. So most likely I will never manage to upgrade it.
    Fortunately, phpBB is as stable as the now-gone CentOS, so for about 10 years that forum runs solid as rock an fast as a lightning on it's contemporary PHP 5.3.

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint bikegremlin
  • @Hxxx said:
    Since people are dropping cP for DA and DA supports Debian 10 of 10 , I would expect to see more people choosing the GREAT and ONLY Debian (thanks) , since in reality is one of the best Linux OS IF not the BEST.

Otherwise CL is the NO BRAINER. Since most people also pay for cL, specially when they want to manage resources efficiently when hosting many accounts.

My big regret is installing CentOS 8 with DA on a production server and then a month later seeing this. :)

Better than seeing this a year later.

Action and Reaction in history

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@DataRecovery said:

@AlwaysSkint said: I've been running CL for a few years, to support older PHP on cPanel

That's a killer feature of CloudLinux, I'm really and sincerely grateful for.

I have quite an old and rather large phpBB forum, which uses phpBB 3.0.x (already forgot the exact version). It is heavily modified (including phpBB-SEO). Those, who have been manually installing mods on older phpBB (by editing the code) will immediately realize what a major PITA would be to upgrade it to something newer.

Right now I already forgot which mods are installed. So most likely I will never manage to upgrade it.
    Fortunately, phpBB is as stable as the now-gone CentOS, so for about 10 years that forum runs solid as rock an fast as a lightning on it's contemporary PHP 5.3.

Some (shared) hosting provider's can't understand this.
    Thanks to CL, PHP 5.x can still be run, relatively securely - for those who don't like changing stuff that works, making updates for updates sake. Stuff over 6 months will soon be considered old, obsolete - it's getting crazier and crazier!

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• hostEONShostEONS Hosting ProviderOG

At least for me and many other VPS providers all depends which OS will be supported by - https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/Supported+Host+Operating+Systems

hostEONS.com - 9 Locations for VPS (US and EU).. Free Blesta License, Free Windows 2019 License and more. Shared DA Hosting. AS142036 .. Ryzen 7950X Based VDS in SLC, LA and Dallas

• flipsflips OG
    edited December 2020

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks to CL, PHP 5.x can still be run, relatively securely

Do they backport security patches to PHP 5.x?
    Or "relatively securely" as in "only your customer cage is affected when your site is compromised"?

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@flips said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Thanks to CL, PHP 5.x can still be run, relatively securely

Do they backport security patches to PHP 5.x?
    Or "relatively securely" as in "only your customer cage is affected when your site is compromised"?

One doesn't exclude the other. :)
    https://www.cloudlinux.com/hardenedphp

Thanked by (2)flips vimalware

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @Mason said:

@Clouvider @SpryServers_Tab, curious how you guys are supporting Rocky. Providing servers for builds/mirrors or something of that sort?

Yeah, we're both providing some servers. Initially they were going to use all baremetal. @Clouvider and I provided them some. They ended up changing their mind for the time being, and went with AWS to get out some initial builds quickly. I guess they're still using what I provided them for some internal development, and I assume @Clouvider's as well. Eventually they would like to migrate over to their own infrastructure.

Thanked by (3)Shazan Mason Iroshan464

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• Rocky Linux has lots of momentum currently, but we will see where it ends up in the long term.

Most people do not even want to think about Oracle Linux, but it has a decent track record and a stable mid-term outlook in my opinion.

Thanked by (3)Chievo yoursunny Abdullah
  • My first distro was SuSE 7.2. Could be some kind of nostalgy but I would love to see SuSE to come into play again.

Noamweb - Managed hosting in Italy

• So good to hear that CentOS is dead! :relieved:
    Probably this will shut up those snobby, "But, do you know CentOS?" job interviewers.
    "Our company ethos, we use CentOS all the time and we suck eachother's dicks."

Thanked by (3)vyas _MS_ vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

@Mason said:

In our case, servers plus future mirroring once there is something to mirror

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • @Shazan said:
    My first distro was SuSE 7.2. Could be some kind of nostalgy but I would love to see SuSE to come into play again.

Yeah, whatever happened to SuSe? Never been a fan, but as a consultant I used to run into it everywhere, now I haven't heard anything SuSe related for years.

If we are talking nostalgia, I would like to see Slackware make a comeback. :)

Thanked by (1)Shazan
  • I gotta say the suse team is hilarious.

Thanked by (2)angstrom Shazan

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Hosting ProviderOG

@AnthonySmith said:
    For me for anything that needs to be RHEL based I will likely lean towards rocky. I just hope someone forks rocky and calls it adrian.

but really I hope generally debian is just seen as the sable base from now on, it really should have been 10 years ago.

All of this! :D
    We have been using Ubuntu for the past 10+ years and I would have loved to of seen it more from the stable base. Back when we really got into using Linux switching from Windows Ubuntu had such a good community that was really helpful.

We haven't seen any major issues from upgrading to newer versions. A few changes in the last few years took a bit to get used to however my vote is for Ubuntu / Deb I wouldn't touch some of the other options other than maybe Rocky afterwards if it goes well.

PureVoltage - Custom Dedicated Servers Dual E5-2680v3 64gb ram 1TB nvme 100TB/10g $145
    New York Colocation - Amazing pricing 1U-48U+