Anyone using TinyCP?

cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
edited December 2020 in General

how's performance? does it have redis / extensions?

saw it looking similar to aapanel (or the other way around :p )

finally getting some rest for the year so time to meddle with some idlers and test panels for fun :D

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2020

Testing it out on the trial vps by WebHorizon. Nothing fancy but works well..

Coincidentally I had taken some screenshots last night-to write a post on it.

Edit: here’s a longer list of panels to play around

https://amarvyas.in/what-are-server-management-panels/

You can also reach out to @AK_KWH for the panel they have forked off of cipi.

Looking forward to reviews, “Panel King”

Thanked by (3)cybertech seriesn ferri
  • This is an awesome panel. Hope it will support CentOS.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@aRNoLD said:
    This is an awesome panel. Hope it will support CentOS.

what does tinycp run on?

• @cybertech said:

@aRNoLD said:
    This is an awesome panel. Hope it will support CentOS.

what does tinycp run on?

Debian and Ubuntu. TinyCP has apt install method of dummy installation, even providing one-click way.

TINYCP_USER="username" TINYCP_PASS="password" TINYCP_PORT="self-defined-port" apt-get install tinycp

Thanked by (2)cybertech ferri
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited December 2020

Here is a screenshot gallery for tinycp I created. (Cannot update my previous post)
    Might extend it to a full review in the future.

@aRNoLD said:

Debian and Ubuntu. TinyCP has apt install method of dummy installation, even providing one-click way.

TINYCP_USER="username" TINYCP_PASS="password" TINYCP_PORT="self-defined-port" apt-get install tinycp

Nice... I prefer the "interactive" mode though for scripts/ panels I am trying out for the first time.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

I read "dummy install"

perfect for me.

• edited December 2020

Running it on a Virmach 256MB RAM 10GB HDD $3.75/yr VPS. It's consuming around 100MB RAM, with Apache and PHP running. It currently still has 8GB storage available. Debian 9 installed.
    Supports multi-PHP, which includes redis support, with one click. You'll probably need to apt install redis-server.
    (I haven't figured out https access to the panel, nor use its' hostname - a minor inconvenience.)

I'm updating my Toshiba Click Mini site, using PicoCMS and it's running great.

Thanked by (2)vyas cybertech

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Now that’s some real LowEnd creativity! Love using picocms. Care to share link? PM is fine

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • edited December 2020

Tried of a while. The installed foot print is really small and overall works great, but i encountered some bizzare error that i couldn't fix so didnt continue using.
    Like i said, it works great and takes very little resources. For someone who is a lot of experience in linux, tinycp should perform at least as stable as other mainstream panel.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Running it on a Virmach 256MB RAM 10GB HDD $3.75/yr VPS. It's consuming around 100MB RAM, with Apache and PHP running. It currently still has 8GB storage available. Debian 9 installed.
    Supports multi-PHP, which includes redis support, with one click. You'll probably need to apt install redis-server.
    (I haven't figured out https access to the panel, nor use its' hostname - a minor inconvenience.)

I'm updating my Toshiba Click Mini site, using PicoCMS and it's running great.

thanks, seems like worth a try.

• @cybertech
    Thanks for stirring me along - got my site updated extensively from the original hand-written HTML pages. :)
    Filling up the storage quickly, though there'll be plenty room.
    For others, just do a 'net search for "toshiba click mini linux" and I'll bet my site appears (very) near the top.

Thanked by (2)cybertech seriesn

• edited December 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @cybertech
    Thanks for stirring me along - got my site updated extensively from the original hand-written HTML pages. :)
    Filling up the storage quickly, though there'll be plenty room.
    For others, just do a 'net search for "toshiba click mini linux" and I'll bet my site appears (very) near the top.

Found it. It's a suitable usage of new TLD.

A locally hosted 1.8GB ISO file is going to use up your monthly transfer quickly though.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• edited December 2020

@yoursunny said: A locally hosted 1.8GB ISO file is going to use up your monthly transfer quickly though.

Hence the alternative download. It's a niche use for the ISO, not suitable for general purpose machines.
    (I deliberately didn't put the direct link here)
    Thanks @yoursunny , you prompted me to post a header warning that the ISO is not for general use. (No push-ups were involved in the making of it. :p )

@AlwaysSkint I could not find php-redis extension, and could not install PHP 7.4 using the panel instructions as well.

panel looks very simplified and nice but it's kinda tough for an amateur :sweat_smile:

• @AlwaysSkint said:

Don't know if I should thank you (or otherwise) for motivating me :
    Spent the last day tinkering with install of PhileCMS (picocms fork) on the 128 MB Gullo's NAT Finland w/ Apache.
    Page rewrite rules were goofed up, so only index page was loading.

Next on the cards is further testing of TinyCP on the Webhorizon Singapore Trial VPS before @Abdullah kills it.

• edited December 2020

@cybertech said:
    @AlwaysSkint I could not find php-redis extension, and could not install PHP 7.4 using the panel instructions as well.

BTW, I'm using the nightly build of TinyCP (unusually for me).
    I got a wee problem with the repo suggestion, which I forgot about. Once done, PHP was fine.

echo "deb https://packages.sury.org/php/ stretch main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/php.list
    apt update
    apt install php74-fpm

.. should then work. (Change stretch to buster, depending on debian version.)
    System, Package Manager shows php-redis for me, along with Web, PHP options.
    Also check in Settings, Features, for PHP being Active.
    HTH

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• edited December 2020

@vyas said: Don't know if I should thank you (or otherwise) for motivating me..

Wisnae me! ((A big boy done it and ran away))
    @cybertech started it, heh. :|
    [[I just need the search engines to latch onto the new site, now.]]

Thanked by (1)cybertech

@AlwaysSkint said:

@cybertech said:

BTW, I'm using the nightly build of TinyCP (unusually for me).
    I got a wee problem with the repo suggestion, which I forgot about. Once done, PHP was fine.

echo "deb https://packages.sury.org/php/ stretch main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/php.list
    apt update
    apt install php74-fpm

.. should then work. (Change stretch to buster, depending on debian version.)
    System, Package Manager shows php-redis for me, along with Web, PHP options.
    Also check in Settings, Features, for PHP being Active.
    HTH

thanks, i got further in with your help. how to edit nginx config for the domain? could only preview on tinycp.

• edited December 2020

@cybertech said: how to edit nginx config for the domain?

Dunno. I used nginx as reverse proxy about 8 years ago, via cPEnginx (or something) and another, but it's an added complication I can do without. Apache (tuned) with PHP-FPM is more than quick enough, as folks that have seen my e-commerce site will attest to. :) KISS philosophy.
    Sorry, someone else might be able to assist.
    (IF I find time, I'll fire up a spare Virmach VPS and try it out for you. ;) )

Thanked by (1)cybertech

edited December 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:

@cybertech said: how to edit nginx config for the domain?

Dunno. I used nginx as reverse proxy about 8 years ago, via cPEnginx (or something) and another, but it's an added complication I can do without. Apache (tuned) with PHP-FPM is more than quick enough, as folks that have seen my e-commerce site will attest to. :) KISS philosophy.
    Sorry, someone else might be able to assist.
    (IF I find time, I'll fire up a spare Virmach VPS and try it out for you. ;) )

oh dang seems like i need more work on it

• @cybertech said: how to edit nginx config for the domain?

There's a custom section in the GUI for a web domain, which allegedly takes Apache or nginx syntax - haven't tried.

/opt/tinycp/domains/test.domain.com/nginx.conf

(This Chicago Virmach VPS is pretty quick! Installed debian 9 and TinyCP, just whilst my main meal was "going down" :) )

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• https://tinycp.com/community/show/is-this-project-dead,576.html

Someone asked a question, and this makes me aware that the project seems a bit quiet. No GitHub URL/repo, no active support/maintenance from the community.

• @aRNoLD said:
    https://tinycp.com/community/show/is-this-project-dead,576.html

Someone asked a question, and this makes me aware that the project seems a bit quiet. No GitHub URL/repo, no active support/maintenance from the community.

I thought so too, but then explored the site further:

https://tinycp.com/changelog

• edited December 2020

^ Exactly. :)

• :) Thanks for the post. Just tried using it on a new box.
    It seems to be working nice - but the FTP navigation seems to be a bit slow and sometimes fails to reach a path. Not at home right now - using very shitty Wifi in a cafe. Might be better if I have a better connection?

• Welcome to the TinyCP Support Forum. :p

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• I gave TinyCP a try a year ago or more. Then at some point I just removed it, thinking "nah!", but I can't remember the reason(s) why ... I think maybe something broke on some update or something, but ... can't remember now ... D'oh! :s :p

• edited December 2020

@flips said: .. gave TinyCP a try a year ago or more..

Same here; I thought it too basic for my typical use cases.
    It's really come into its' own with the 256MB RAM server though and the rarely changing 'static' website that it hosts appears to be a perfect fit. The site is there as a source/reference to me and may benefit others. Given that it (the site) doesn't drive revenue makes the $3.75/yr server all the better and frees up some space on otherwise busy VPSes.
    I'll maybe play with it's inbuilt openVPN, to have a more secure access to the control panel and if successful, it could become my 'goto' panel for low RAM situations. A WAF (mod_sec) and possibly CSF may also be on the table.

• trying this tiny and lightweight app, but couldn't find a way to replace the ssl so that admin can sign in by domain instead of ip addr.

• @aRNoLD said:
    trying this tiny and lightweight app, but couldn't find a way to replace the ssl so that admin can sign in by domain instead of ip addr.

I mentioned this:

IIRC, it's expected you access via OpenVPN, which is included as an option. I haven't bothered (yet).