Virtualizor updates gives VPS Providers grey hair and sleep deprevation

mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Yet again, a Virtualizor **PATCH ** created issues for us VPS Providers.

Not sure of my intentions of this open thread, more than a rant about the frustration on how this is managed.

Don't get me wrong, I love Virtualizor for their will to implement new features and trying to be in the forefront as a panel to manage virtual servers.

At the same time, this is what gives me grey hairs and unnecessary tickets with time spent on keeping water from flooding the life-boat instead of focusing on other things that also need my attention.

I am, a consultant by heart and mind, sometimes I compare myself to the likes of a prostitute, I sell my services for money.
Every time this type of thing happens, I have to spend my time fixing or at least working around a problem that someone else caused.
So instead of helping a customer and making money, I have to spend my time on something else that in the end, cost me money.

No, I'm not losing billions every time it happens but it wears me down. I don't know how many times I've looked at competitors for managing my virtual servers, but what I would gain in product stability, I would lose in features.

I've even considered building my own panel, and I did pay a developer to start. Due to reasons, that development has stopped and I ended up with nothing.

@Virtualizor : PLEASE, stop adding features to PATCH releases.
Make a proper release strategy, where PATCH means PATCH.

Change the auto-update system to only include bugfixes.
When releasing feature updates, make it mandatory that the admin has to apply the update by clicking on a button och checking an agreement box.

ALSO, better notifications when updates are applied to the WHMCS module.
It has happened in the past that the date on the website wasn't updated when an updated version was available. And use proper software versioning on the module.
Don't apply patches to the same software version.

This is all written with a lot of emotions, but I had to write something, to release some of the tension going on.

Live long and prosper, I might not ;)

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

Thanked by (2)Mason Asim

Comments

• Hi,

Sir sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    We have released the patch in release for this issue within 24 hours. And for stable in next half an hour it will be released.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Yeah. The people at Virtualizor are lovely, but I'm sure there are more practical ways for them to go forward.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited January 2021

@chirag said:
    Hi,

We have released the patch in release for this issue within 24 hours. And for stable in next half an hour it will be released.

@chirag people have been publicly complaining about this forced update system causing issues problem for at least 6 years that I know of, why is softaculous and by extension virtualizor completely incapable of learning lessons?

This is such a simple problem to resolve, you need to admit that your "stable" branch is actually beta at best, change the name of stable to beta and have a true stable path that is at LEAST 3 months behind what you now call stable.

I have to tell you that the only people that consider virtualizor stable as actually stable is virtualizor and you are not the ones suffering any real consequences for being wrong, I say no consequences but in reality this a large part of the reason you have not gained the same market share as solusvm, it is not about the price, your UI is a confusing mess for admins (the people that pay you) and your forced rolling updates rarely fail to cause issues and you are 100% incapable of taking feedback surrounding the bigger picture and still focus on features over all else.

Why won't you listen? honestly, I think by now everyone wants a straight forward answer, you can only either be ignoring the problems you know you cause or there is a massive technical issue with virtualizor that prevents you using any worthwhile version control?

It has to be one of those 2 options because the only other is that the person signing off the releases is incredibly incompetent and has kept their job for years despite this which is just unlikely to be the case as that would mean the person at the very top is also willfully ignorant and/or incompetent.

I really do not know why you guys will not listen, I really don't, you seem to be reasonable when I have spoken with you in the past but this continued head in the sand is literally damaging your business and any idiot can see that from the outside looking in.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@chirag said:
    Hi,

this might sound harsh but if you want me to do your testing, I want enough licenses to be able to run a proper stage environment.

@mikho said:

@chirag said:
    Hi,

this might sound harsh but if you want me to do your testing, I want enough licenses to be able to run a proper stage environment.

That stopped sounding harsh, 6 years ago after the 10th time this sort of thing happened. it has GOT to be in the 100's now.

• edited January 2021

Hi,

Sir in past we considered the users request and we try to provide the fixes as soon as possible.
    We will get more details from user as we are creating feature request portal and as per that we will prioritize the patches as well.
    We have released the patch for this.
    Again sorry for the inconvenience caused.

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Sir in past we considered the users request and we try to provide the fixes as soon as possible.
    We will get more details from user as we are creating feature request portal and as per that we will prioritize the patches as well.
    We have released the patch for this.
    Again sorry for the inconvenience caused.

You have been saying that for 6 years.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

seems virtualizor need to get properly burned by amaterasu before anything is fixed

Thanked by (2)kuroneko23 Rahul

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I wish providers would be able to enable IPv6 for my VPS again without opening a ticket with Virtualizor. :'(

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• Hi,

Sir we have made the branching system.
    We first release the version in release candidate and after 2 weeks we make it stable.
    If we get any issues in that from users we immediately release the patch for release branch.

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Sir we have made the branching system.
    We first release the version in release candidate and after 2 weeks we make it stable.
    If we get any issues in that from users we immediately release the patch for release branch.

Will you stop adding new features to the PATCH releases?

• Hi,

Sir ok, we will not add any new features to the patches from now on.
    It will be purely bug fixes.

• @chirag said:
    Hi,

Well that was easy.

Thanked by (4)ehab mikho WSCallum Unixfy
    edited January 2021

@Freek said:

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Well that was easy.

Again, all been said before over the years, it will not happen and if it does it will not last.

2 weeks in your testing/experimental branch (which no one is stupid enough to run in production and you guys are as shit are not testing) before forced into stable? how about you just actually listen and stop imposing updates altogether, allow your paying customers to decide when it is stable and let them roll back when it is not.

I appreciate there is a point when you need people on a minimum version, that is not 2 weeks, who do you think you are Archlinux?

• hey @AnthonySmith make him an offer and it take over? i know @mikho knows some parts of the code.

edited January 2021

@ehab said:
    hey @AnthonySmith make him an offer and it take over? i know @mikho knows some parts of the code.

I can think of better ways to spend money, for example:

^ also more stable.

Thanked by (2)Asim AlwaysSkint

• ok, now know how much you are pissed. then mikho time to move away.

• Virtualizor did break IPv6 on microLXC already a dozen of times, so piss.

• It sounds like a rolling-release model -- what fun

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited January 2021

@angstrom said:
    It sounds like a rolling-release model -- what fun

As LONG you dont push that forbidden button called RESTART or STOP inside that said Panel or the Provider reboots the node.
    You are fine, but if you do that, you are joining a round of russian roulette, you don't know what will hit you.

• edited January 2021

@AnthonySmith said:

@Freek said:

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Well that was easy.

Again, all been said before over the years, it will not happen and if it does it will not last.

2 weeks in your testing/experimental branch (which no one is stupid enough to run in production and you guys are as shit are not testing) before forced into stable? how about you just actually listen and stop imposing updates altogether, allow your paying customers to decide when it is stable and let them roll back when it is not.

I appreciate there is a point when you need people on a minimum version, that is not 2 weeks, who do you think you are Archlinux?

I was being sarcastic, I see I forgot the /s in my post ;)

@Freek said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@Freek said:

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Well that was easy.

I was being sarcastic, I see I forgot the /s in my post ;)

lol sorry you must have left the /s in your beta branch.

Thanked by (2)Mason Freek

• @chirag said:
    Hi,

Hey Bud,
    Nice to have you here :).

Since you are here, quick question, what’s the eta for ebtables to properly work with IPV6?

Please don’t respond using the word sir and I will love you extra.

@seriesn said: Please don’t respond using the word sir and I will love you extra

Those words are music to my ears.

edited January 2021

@seriesn said:

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Hey Bud,

Since you are here, quick question, what’s the eta for ebtables to properly work with IPV6?

Oh, the "must disable ebtables on a KVM to make IPv6 work properly" bug ...

EDIT: forgot the /s ... :D

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

@mikho said:

@seriesn said:

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Hey Bud,

That brand new bug that was reported in 2014?

• @AnthonySmith said:

@seriesn said: Please don’t respond using the word sir and I will love you extra

Those words are music to my ears.

Yes My British Sir.

Thanked by (1)lentro

@seriesn said: Yes My British Sir.

So cringy

Thanked by (1)lentro

• @AnthonySmith said:

@mikho said:

@seriesn said:

@chirag said:
    Hi,

Hey Bud,

That brand new bug that was reported in 2014?

You need to take a look at the docker page, I had my fun on the iPv6 bugs.

• Btw, thank you for the quick fix. Despite all the negative stuff, I do have to add that, Virtualizor support quality improved a lot vs the past.

Thanked by (3)mikho Asim Abdullah