Who was your first provider?

Comments

• Vultr

• A gentleman

An idler never tells

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • edited April 2021

on 2011 .
    First VPS 256MB Windows 2003 Standard from EXABYTES is my first vps a very long long long time ago . :lol:

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • If I remember correctly, first hosting provider was Siteground and first VPS was from Prometeus. Both still alive.

• HostSlickHostSlick Hosting Provider
    edited April 2021
    1. NozHost - is now vmbox.co

then

1. HostRail - dead
    2. WhitelabelHost - dead
    3. Voxility (back 2010 when it was called LimeHost.ro)
  • Amazon, than digital ocean. I searched seedbox, someone on reddit told me the green forum.

Action and Reaction in history

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited April 2021

@debaser said:

@Ympker said:
    Strato.

I can not hear that name without thinking of their horrible tv commercials.

When I was 8

Nice age to start. When I was 8 the WWW was released :#.

Those were the worst lol... Damn..

Ouch :/

• @debaser said: I can not hear that name without thinking of their horrible tv commercials.

Ah, Scooter, lol. I didn't even know they did anything like that. Anyway, let me continue a bit off topic to make a little more fun of them.

• VPS : slicehost

my first dedicated server from UK2

• hobohost, one dollar shared hosting with cpanel ... support is excellent and still kicking alive.

openvirtual, my first vps and also my first entry to lowendworld. support is great, it's sad they're deadpooled.

dacentec, my first dedicated server experience. support is very good, but too many network maintenance.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@yoursunny said:
    sometimes taking pretty girls to school cafeteria for dinners,

proof or it didn't happen

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @Mason said:

@yoursunny said: His computer touched the ESC key on the server, so that the server stuck on the boot menu when I rebooted Windows.

That bastard, I hope he has minesweeper nightmares now!

He wouldn't.
    The auditorium manager works with microphones and projectors.
    He doesn't know much about websites.

He had a student to make a website for the auditorium, hosted on the same server.
    The main purpose of that site is to publish a PDF form for auditorium rentals, which should be downloaded, filled, and faxed in.

I found the website crashing all the time.
    It's an ASP.Net site and there's no source code, so I can't fix it.
    After talking to the higher ups, I extracted the PDF forms out of the database and posted in a corner of our website, and turned off his website.
    There were no fuss about this one, because the moneymaker is the PDF: auditorium rental to entities outside the university is billable by the hour.

@cybertech said:

@yoursunny said:

Sure, here are two Blogger entries where I mentioned taking someone to dinner.

http://sunnypower.blogspot.com/2008/02/gpa_27.html
    http://sunnypower.blogspot.com/2008/09/blog-post.html

The latter entry also contains a story about how I exited the student housing department website.

I interviewed 8+ people and selected 3, one for each of the university websites I'm maintaining.
    For the housing department site, I gave the new webmaster FTP access two weeks before my exit, so that he could have a look at my code (it's before I have git).
    He found FTP inconvenient, so he uploaded an ASP Trojan horse in order to browse the files.

I had a script that digests every file in the website folder and detect any unexpected differences.
    During my daily check, I noticed an unexpected file, and then found the Trojan horse.
    I was very surprised that my extremely secure website got hacked - the folders aren't writable by IIS user and non HTTP ports cannot be accessed off-campus.

I found the IP address that accessed the Trojan horse, and sent a complaint to the university network operations center.
    In response to the report, the switch port of the offending IP address was disabled.

Then, netadmin emailed me saying that the IP address is owned by one of our own, as I already listed his name as "upcoming webmaster".
    I agreed to unblock them, and then called my successor telling him that he should have added an IP address check to his remote access script, and not just hiding it behind a long filename.
    By that time, he and his roommates were without Internet for a whole day.
    Hopefully he learned the lesson.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@yoursunny said:

@Mason said:

@yoursunny said: His computer touched the ESC key on the server, so that the server stuck on the boot menu when I rebooted Windows.

That bastard, I hope he has minesweeper nightmares now!

He wouldn't.
    The auditorium manager works with microphones and projectors.
    He doesn't know much about websites.

He had a student to make a website for the auditorium, hosted on the same server.
    The main purpose of that site is to publish a PDF form for auditorium rentals, which should be downloaded, filled, and faxed in.

I found the website crashing all the time.
    It's an ASP.Net site and there's no source code, so I can't fix it.
    After talking to the higher ups, I extracted the PDF forms out of the database and posted in a corner of our website, and turned off his website.
    There were no fuss about this one, because the moneymaker is the PDF: auditorium rental to entities outside the university is billable by the hour.

@cybertech said:

@yoursunny said:

Sure, here are two Blogger entries where I mentioned taking someone to dinner.

http://sunnypower.blogspot.com/2008/02/gpa_27.html
    http://sunnypower.blogspot.com/2008/09/blog-post.html

The latter entry also contains a story about how I exited the student housing department website.

I interviewed 8+ people and selected 3, one for each of the university websites I'm maintaining.
    For the housing department site, I gave the new webmaster FTP access two weeks before my exit, so that he could have a look at my code (it's before I have git).
    He found FTP inconvenient, so he uploaded an ASP Trojan horse in order to browse the files.

I had a script that digests every file in the website folder and detect any unexpected differences.
    During my daily check, I noticed an unexpected file, and then found the Trojan horse.
    I was very surprised that my extremely secure website got hacked - the folders aren't writable by IIS user and non HTTP ports cannot be accessed off-campus.

I found the IP address that accessed the Trojan horse, and sent a complaint to the university network operations center.
    In response to the report, the switch port of the offending IP address was disabled.

Then, netadmin emailed me saying that the IP address is owned by one of our own, as I already listed his name as "upcoming webmaster".
    I agreed to unblock them, and then called my successor telling him that he should have added an IP address check to his remote access script, and not just hiding it behind a long filename.
    By that time, he and his roommates were without Internet for a whole day.
    Hopefully he learned the lesson.

too technical for me to understand, but had not found the girls pictures. thanks for even replying me though, sunnyboy.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• edited April 2021

Dustin - the man who now runs Racknerd. It was year 2012 I think?
    But even before that, I used the free web hosting site freewebs / geocities year 2005? At the age of 10 ...

• VPS: Ramnode 128MB to bypass public wifi login
    Web: free hosting from hostinger

• First provider for me was chicago vps. Stayed with them for years until the default ubuntu template wouldnt even work anymore. Sadly they dont appear to be bankrupt currently :/

Recommended hosts:
    Letbox, Data ideas, Hetzner

• First VPS ever was SliceHost I think. First LE* providers were BuyVM & Ramnode circa 2013-ish.

Shared hosting was.. MediaTemple I think, back in mid 00's

Thanked by (1)Ympker

🦍🍌

• My first VPS provider was from URPad.net :)

Thanked by (1)ChrisMiller
  • shared hosting? Hostmonster
    vps from green forums? Crissic
    Non green forums vps? DigitalOcean
    Dedicated? Kimsufi.

Ruby, JS Programmer and Linux user

• ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

One of the first I went with was Heart Internet, probably 10-15 years ago now. I also hosted with Lithium Hosting for a couple of years before moving onto VPS' and dedicated more often. Good to see that Lithium is still around and it seems they use ApisCP now too.

Syuh - sftp, rsync & rclone accessible storage from 50GB to TBs.

• edited April 2021

First shared hosting was webserve.ca back in the early-mid 2000's. They are now owned by Hostpapa. Then I jumped around a couple of shared hosting providers. First VPS was with Urpad in 2013. Memory serves me, this was the enticing offer I purchased.

2K13 2GB RAM

2048MB RAM
    50GB Disk Space
    1 IPv4 Address
    750GB Bandwidth
    100Mbps Port
    OpenVZ/SolusVM
    Price: $6.95/mo
    Promo: L3BK1W

https://lowendbox.com/blog/urpad-256mb-openvz-12year-6-95-1024mb-ssd-in-dallas-los-angeles-and-chicago/

Thanked by (1)ChrisMiller
  • Vpscheap.net

• Well for first shared hosting provider it was SixServe(it was free)
    as for VPS it was VPSmart/hypermart/databasemart(i think all three are the same, was cheapest windows server available at that time with free trial)
    never had any dedi so no for that.

Active lurker nothing more nothing less, want to discuss something? i am all ears!

• Well for first shared hosting provider it was SixServe(it was free) *copied from trk but i cound't say it any way diffrent

other than that @SSDBlaze got me into the vps world. first dedi was from someone private.

• edited April 2021

Spry.com around 2003 was my first real VPS. First virtual / shared host was prophetnetworks.net around 1996. Started hosting at home on a Slackware96 box late 1997.

• SMARTHOSTSMARTHOST Hosting ProviderOG

AOL PrimeHost...back in like early 90's. ;-)
    Compuserve for BBS/FTP hosting prior to that even though...

~ SMARTHOST

SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Join our Resale Program
    https://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS - $2.95/month!

• No one saying Geocities??

• nac.net and then staminus and gigeservers 😊

• @psychoid said:
    nac.net and then staminus and gigeservers 😊

Sounds like you’re on IRC ☺️

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @rajprakash said: No one saying Geocities??

>

@Muffin said: But even before that, I used the free web hosting site freewebs / geocities year 2005? At the age of 10 ...

Up