Microsoft Announcement Plan To Malaysia DataCenter Singapore Neighbour

Official from Microsoft can be found here :
https://news.microsoft.com/en-my/2021/04/19/microsoft-announces-plans-to-establish-its-first-datacenter-region-in-malaysia-as-part-of-bersama-malaysia-initiative-to-support-inclusive-economic-growth/

Microsoft Corp. today announced its “Bersama Malaysia” (Together with Malaysia) initiative, which marks a significant commitment to empowering Malaysia’s inclusive digital economy and advancing the nation’s digital transformation across the private and public sectors. As part of the plan, Microsoft will establish its first datacenter region in the country to deliver trusted cloud services locally, with world-class data security, privacy, and the ability to store data in-country.

What do you guys think about this region datacenter?

Thanks

Microsoft Announcement Plan To Malaysia DataCenter Singapore Neighbour
  1. What do you think about this?13 votes
    1. Excited
      15.38%
    2. Intresting
      38.46%
    3. Very Good
        7.69%
    4. Normal
      30.77%
    5. Others
        7.69%

Comments

• Frankly, I couldn’t care less.

Also, that press release gives me a strong feeling that they choose Malaysia because it’s cheaper and/or they get subsidized by the government.

• edited April 2021

@debaser said:
    Frankly, I couldn’t care less.

Also, that press release gives me a strong feeling that they choose Malaysia because it’s cheaper and/or they get subsidized by the government.

Truth. It is cheaper than Singapore tax slightly higher than Malaysia lol.
    Even cost of everything is cheap enough for them . :smile:
    I think they're getting subsidized by the government .
    I just realize here the info they are getting RM4bil. whuttt a lucky.
    https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2021/04/19/rm4bil-039bersama-malaysia039-initiative-will-strengthen-malaysia039s-potential-as-data-hub-says-pm

• edited April 2021

@gemuruhco said:
    why ?

Asia is not the target for my current projects. I suppose that means it would have been better if I refrained from making my first comment altogether, but I was feeling giddy.

The law of the country and political stability might be interesting things to think about when it comes to hosting in Malaysia, but this is also something I cannot really properly comment on because my knowledge of these topics amounts to vague hearsay. And what keeps me from at least simply celebrating "Yay, new DC!" is that this is Microsoft, and I try to avoid Microsoft if I can.

So, yes, they can build it if they want to; it just isn't sparking interest for me personally because of the reasons stated above.

• edited April 2021

@rhinoduck said:

@gemuruhco said:
    why ?

Asia is not the target for my current projects. I suppose that means it would have been better if I refrained from making my first comment altogether, but I was feeling giddy.

The law of the country and political stability might be interesting things to think about when it comes to hosting in Malaysia, but this is also something I cannot really properly comment on because my knowledge of these topics amounts to vague hearsay. And what keeps me from at least simply celebrating "Yay, new DC!" is that this is Microsoft, and I try to avoid Microsoft if I can.

So, yes, they can build it if they want to; it just isn't sparking interest for me personally because of the reasons stated above.

I would also trying to avoid microsoft as possible.
    However, even my main operating system is using windows 10. :lol:
    Malaysia Microsoft is the only one DC that would be stable enough beside of AIMS with that high investment then it would be possible.
    When it comes to microsoft, of course high & stable uptime comes first. :sweat_smile:
    Beside of that, i am not a FANS of Microsoft . But at least that is the first Companies that invest that high IN Malaysia for DataCenter operations.