Windows 10 to be retired in 2025, as new OS unveils

Thoughts?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57443598

Microsoft says it will stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, as it prepares to unveil a major revamp of its Windows operating system later this month.

When Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft said it was intended to be the final version of the operating system.

But from 14 October 2025, there will be no new updates or security fixes for either the Home or Pro versions.

And Microsoft says its successor will represent one of the "most significant updates" to the OS in the past decade.
[...]
Mr Nadella and chief product officer Panos Panay will launch the new OS at a virtual event on 24 June, with Microsoft now facing stiff competition not just from Apple but also from Google.

Thanked by (1)Mason
Tagged:

Comments

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@beagle said: When Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft said it was intended to be the final version of the operating system.

Hah... never knew that was their intention.

Dev team: We're going to make this the last version of Windows and provide consistent updates and support over the coming years.

Marketing team: Lol... hold my beer.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Prediction: It won't be Windows 11.

• @MichaelCee said:
    Prediction: It won't be Windows 11.

It was going to be from the moment MS cancelled Windows 10X.

• 2022: Microsoft in talks to acquire Canonical
    2023: Linus Torvalds joins Microsoft
    2024: Microsoft releases Ubuntu Winux, a Linux distribution that can run Windows applications
    2025: Belgium government bans Winux citing privacy concerns, Microsoft stock plummets
    2026: Microsoft acquired by Oracle

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    2022: Microsoft in talks to acquire Canonical
    2023: Linus Torvalds joins Microsoft
    2024: Microsoft releases Ubuntu Winux, a Linux distribution that can run Windows applications
    2025: Belgium government bans Winux citing privacy concerns, Microsoft stock plummets
    2026: Microsoft acquired by Oracle

LOL

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.

• 2027: Oracle changes the Winux licensing scheme to "pay up or we won't give you any free updates anymore"
    2028: OpenWinux is released

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

They have actually retired versions of Windows 10 as they release their ”feature upgrades”.

Will be interesting to see whats in the bag.
    Will they copy some goodies from MacOS?

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited June 2021

@Mason said:

@beagle said: When Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft said it was intended to be the final version of the operating system.

Hah... never knew that was their intention.

It was of course because Apple had been on MacOS X for decades.

But suddenly Apple updates to MacOS 11 with MacOS 12 in the making.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • Windows 666, here we go.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• Seems like its already leaked. Most likely not the final iso but not much changes from Win 10

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-11-leaked-what-we-know-so-far-about-microsofts-new-os/

• Looking at the leaked screenshots right now... Microsoft simply did never understand how an UI has to look like so that the user does not get eye cancer. Lord, this is all so ugly. I would hate working in front of something that ugly all day. I would even prefer a SUSE desktop installation from 2010 in comparison. Uurgh.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• How about Win 11 stripping out NT and running on the Linux kernel? Linky from 2019.

• I have the ISO if anyone wanna try, but you gotta make a good choice since very likely some of your hardware won't work and it would stop and showing 'This PC can't run Windows 11'

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

OSAAS
    SAAS
    all the AAS

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• So ugly. Really liked the old design. The start menu in the middle and the rounded corners make it look somehow cheap imo and I also doubt it improves the comfort of usability.

• edited June 2021

What you do think of this?

• @valkyrie said:

Leaked Build.

Thanked by (1)valkyrie
  • MS said:

@valkyrie said:

Leaked Build.

Literally just an Insider build of Windows 10, only UI changes and anything else changing, and the new branding. You could get the old W10 Explorer by doing some modifications

Thanked by (1)_MS_
  • Ugly as fuck, can only hope that ReactOS is usable by then.

Thanked by (2)valkyrie Amitz
  • I just saw some further screenshots that seem to look a bit nicer. Maybe not the whole UI is f*cked up. But still - Windows is by far not the best-looking environment to work with.

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• i only know windows when i need to use local office. I don't care about it anymore.

• @Neoon said:
    Ugly as fuck, can only hope that ReactOS is usable by then.

Any hope of that? (Was very unstable last I tried.)

• @flips said:

@Neoon said:
    Ugly as fuck, can only hope that ReactOS is usable by then.

Any hope of that? (Was very unstable last I tried.)

Well, Steam is working hard to get stuff going on Linux.
    They made a lot of progress so far.

If ReactOS is not working out, then you can still switch.
    However, most AntiCheaatah software on Linux is a deal breaker.

• I hardly ever need Windows, and all I need can work in Wine. I do keep a Win10 KVM around just to know what it looks like/help debugging when helping other people ... :#

• Maybe Microsoft learned from the "every other version" and will quickly release Windows 11, let it rot with no support and then release Windows 12 that people want in 3 years.

• KlanxKlanx Hosting Provider

I knew that It wasn't going to be the final OS version. I mean company's gotta make their money.

• @Klanx said:
    I knew that It wasn't going to be the final OS version. I mean company's gotta make their money.

On the verge of completing 50 posts :wink: :wink: