Firstheberg users - look here - questions from a n00b

mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Hello.

I'm about to do some tests with a dedicated and the Firstheberg atom with double disks would be perfect for my tests.

However, never been a firstheberg customer (and their FAQ page is not working), I would like to know if it's possible to mount a sysrescuecd from their panel and reboot without needing to open a ticket.

Anyone here that is a firstheberg customer who can confirm that this is possible?

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

Comments

• Had the 5€/m Atom dedi with them two years ago. Their webpanel was a pain but there was a reboot button. I'm actually worried about the custom iso upload (for the rescue-cd).
    Btw, what's wrong with opening a ticket? They answer within 24-48hrs usually on simple requests.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited June 2021

Well, I would not touch Firstheberg even with a 10 feet pole.
    This one is even worse than Ikoula.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

I don’t care so much for the dedi as I will probably only keep it for the month.

It is more how the panel works.

@webcraft said:
    Btw, what's wrong with opening a ticket? They answer within 24-48hrs usually on simple requests.

Because you often get a better response from a users perspective then the support personal.

• @mikho said:

@webcraft said:

Because you often get a better response from a users perspective then the support personal.

Ohh I think I misunderstood your question. I mean, what's wrong with opening a ticket to have the support reboot your server (because some dedi's don't have a webpanel for this). Anyways, yes, most of their servers can be restarted via their webpanel just like you're used from OVH or any other.
    I've had a very cheap server with them but it wasn't even worth this, wouldn't even for free (waste of time).

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

Ohh I think I misunderstood your question. I mean, what's wrong with opening a ticket to have the support reboot your server (because some dedi's don't have a webpanel for this). Anyways, yes, most of their servers can be restarted via their webpanel just like you're used from OVH or any other.
    I've had a very cheap server with them but it wasn't even worth this, wouldn't even for free (waste of time).

I expect to reboot multiple times and opening/replying to a ticket every time can cause some pissed-off support workers, and I don’t want that ;)

From your answer I take it that rebooting is doable from the panel.

Is it possible to mount ISOs? In my case, I am interested in booting sysrescuecd.

It is for a blog post that I need this.

• edited June 2021

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

I expect to reboot multiple times and opening/replying to a ticket every time can cause some pissed-off support workers, and I don’t want that ;)

Is it possible to mount ISOs? In my case, I am interested in booting sysrescuecd.

I can't remember there was an option to upload an ISO. Might have changed in the last two years ..ohh wait no, it's FirstHeberg, they're exactly as ten years ago.
    So no, I can't give you an answer on the ISO upload feature, sorry. Never used it so can't remember after two years whether it was available.

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

I can't remember there was an option to upload an ISO. Might have changed in the last two years ..ohh wait no, it's FirstHeberg, they're exactly as ten years ago.
    So no, I can't give you an answer on the ISO upload feature, sorry. Never used it so can't remember after two years whether it was available.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

you mention that its not possible to upload an ISO. Do you know if they have sysrecuecd available to mount?

I might need to throw €10 to test it out.

• @mikho said:

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

you mention that its not possible to upload an ISO. Do you know if they have sysrecuecd available to mount?

No, I didn't say it isn't possible, just said I can't remember to have seen such an option but also wasn't looking for it. They have auto installers, can't remember the option to actually mount an ISO. Maybe there's an option to spawn a separate rescue session but never used it. Better spend the 10€ somewhere else. The experience was really bad. I used the automated installed OS and installed Gitlab on it. Dropped the server very soon because of the poor service.

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

@mikho said:

@webcraft said:

No, I didn't say it isn't possible, just said I can't remember to have seen such an option but also wasn't looking for it. They have auto installers, can't remember the option to actually mount an ISO. Maybe there's an option to spawn a separate rescue session but never used it. Better spend the 10€ somewhere else. The experience was really bad. I used the automated installed OS and installed Gitlab on it. Dropped the server very soon because of the poor service.

I will only use it for a month to write an article.
    As long as I can reboot myself and mount sysrescuecd, I would be happy.

Thanked by (1)webcraft