Oracle Cloud (Always Free Tier)

cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

My paid trial has expired after 30 days, and whats remaining is the always free resources and features.

I have found that I cannot create a VM with a complete 200GB block storage.

It may be possible to have the default 50GB and attach a 150GB to it.

Is this the same for you?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

i can create an instance with a 200gb boot volume just fine, try making sure you don't have any old boot volumes from terminated VMs

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@11111jfkdd said:
    i can create an instance with a 200gb boot volume just fine, try making sure you don't have any old boot volumes from terminated VMs

thanks! just figured it out. VM created fine with 200GB.

• Isn’t the free tier 100GB/acc?

• @sanvit said:
    Isn’t the free tier 100GB/acc?

they added new arm instances and another 100 gb. ;)

Thanked by (1)sanvit

so say we all

yes, now on ARM with 200GB Block storage with 100MB/s total IOPS. good for lots of stuff.

@11111jfkdd and all, now that I have a single 200GB boot volume for one compute instance, is it possible to detach the boot volume from compute instance, terminate, and re attach a 50GB boot volume back in without killing the instance?

reason being the ARM instance has limited capacity.

• @cybertech said: is it possible to detach the boot volume from compute instance, terminate, and re attach a 50GB boot volume back in without killing the instance?

If you want to detach boot volume, you have turned off the instance. If the VM is turned off, the compute resource(RAM, CPU) will be free & anybody can use that compute resource.

BTW, in which region are you in?

Thanked by (1)cybertech

@Hakim said:

@cybertech said: is it possible to detach the boot volume from compute instance, terminate, and re attach a 50GB boot volume back in without killing the instance?

If you want to detach boot volume, you have turned off the instance. If the VM is turned off, the compute resource(RAM, CPU) will be free & anybody can use that compute resource.

Japan :) well thought so too, so killed n started another one anyway.

• @cybertech said:

@Hakim said:

@cybertech said: is it possible to detach the boot volume from compute instance, terminate, and re attach a 50GB boot volume back in without killing the instance?

Japan :) well thought so too, so killed n started another one anyway.

trying to be near binance's server? ;)

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • edited January 2022

@cybertech said:
    yes, now on ARM with 200GB Block storage with 100MB/s total IOPS. good for lots of stuff.

@11111jfkdd and all, now that I have a single 200GB boot volume for one compute instance, is it possible to detach the boot volume from compute instance, terminate, and re attach a 50GB boot volume back in without killing the instance?

reason being the ARM instance has limited capacity.

Block volume have better performance than boot volume?

What is your perfect setup?
    I thinking about 10GB boot and 190GB block volume.

After i increase my boot volume from 47GB to 120GB, it dont have anymore "Always Free" badge.

• edited July 2022

Sorry for necroing the thread, but a couple of acquaintances of mine signed up the other day, and they both seem to have gotten banned for apparently no reason... :/

Many other colleagues who joined our team recently seem also to be willing to get their hands dirty with Kubernetes, and the ARM instance is perhaps the best free offer around to do so...

So, assuming I'd get even more people to sign up, does anyone know whether there are regions in which it's easier/harder to get banned within 2-3 weeks of signing up for ... who knows what exactly?! ><"

I believe what the 2 told me - that they weren't running neither port scanners nor torrents nor any other potentially shady stuff.

• One has absolutely no clue at all what might have led to him getting banned
    • The other one suspects it was because of running this script every 10 minutes as a cronjob for some 2 weeks (unsuccessfully, as he also ended up getting banned) - but I was doing something similar too back when I was trying to get my ARM instance, and I didn't get banned for it -_-'

FWIW, the victims' (if you will :P) regions were, respectively, Osaka and San Jose.

OTOH, the 2 free tier accounts I have access to (my personal one and a family member's) in San Jose and Ashburn are just fine... which suggests that this might actually not be a problem of location, but potentially something else - or were the two simply unlucky? :#

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

They seem to get kicked out if you don't have a valid card on file at the 30 day mark (or maybe it was 90 not sure)...whatever the trial term is

Don't think it is region related

• @havoc said:
    They seem to get kicked out if you don't have a valid card on file at the 30 day mark (or maybe it was 90 not sure)...whatever the trial term is

I used a physical card for that, no issues.
    Likely they use a one time credit card, hence you get yeeeted.

@Neoon said:

@havoc said:

Don't think the supplier can tell the difference?

I've currently got no card loaded and its been fine for year+. They only seem to check right at the end of trial period

• @havoc said:

@Neoon said:

@havoc said:

Don't think the supplier can tell the difference?

I've currently got no card loaded and its been fine for year+. They only seem to check right at the end of trial period

Yes they can, for some reason, there seem to be differences.

• Asked the two that got banned, turns out they both used regular physical credit cards... :tired_face:

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

The oracle ban hammer works in mysterious ways.

What I'm doing isn't even technically inside the free tier but its not activated as a paid a/c so gets zerod

• @chimichurri said:
    Sorry for necroing the thread, but a couple of acquaintances of mine signed up the other day, and they both seem to have gotten banned for apparently no reason... :/

Many other colleagues who joined our team recently seem also to be willing to get their hands dirty with Kubernetes, and the ARM instance is perhaps the best free offer around to do so...

So, assuming I'd get even more people to sign up, does anyone know whether there are regions in which it's easier/harder to get banned within 2-3 weeks of signing up for ... who knows what exactly?! ><"

I believe what the 2 told me - that they weren't running neither port scanners nor torrents nor any other potentially shady stuff.

• One has absolutely no clue at all what might have led to him getting banned
    • The other one suspects it was because of running this script every 10 minutes as a cronjob for some 2 weeks (unsuccessfully, as he also ended up getting banned) - but I was doing something similar too back when I was trying to get my ARM instance, and I didn't get banned for it -_-'

FWIW, the victims' (if you will :P) regions were, respectively, Osaka and San Jose.

OTOH, the 2 free tier accounts I have access to (my personal one and a family member's) in San Jose and Ashburn are just fine... which suggests that this might actually not be a problem of location, but potentially something else - or were the two simply unlucky? :#

Funnily enough my free tier account in Osaka got banned a couple of weeks ago as well. At first I didn't know I was banned; I can still log in to the account but I just can't create any new resources and the arm server I had setup before was not there anymore. Account's lifetime was all of two months.

I did have komga running on the server (under password protection) with some humble bundle manga. At first I thought it was because Oracle was somehow scanning users' files and detected that I have "pirated" files in the server, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

Oracle Free Tier is quite generous but is also (as I've found out) quite unreliable. I don't think I'd want to try hosting some important stuff there even for hobbies.

• lesuserlesuser OG
    edited August 2022

I created Arm instance with 200GB volume. There are no other instances. But my VM is not showing that 200GB drive. Where is that drive?

[opc@arm ~]$ df -H
    Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs                     13G     0   13G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                        13G     0   13G   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                        13G   35M   13G   1% /run
    tmpfs                        13G     0   13G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-root   39G   14G   25G  35% /
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-oled   11G  110M   11G   2% /var/oled
    /dev/sda2                   1.1G  527M  537M  50% /boot
    /dev/sda1                   105M  6.2M   99M   6% /boot/efi
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/0
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/987
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/1000

This is what control panel shows.

By the way I can still save data on boot volume, right? The main purpose of boot volume is to store OS and other related stuff but we can also store user data?

• Most ppl I know they get banned with orakle, I think they work as that and that fee always is just a stunt for accounts they think will use and pay more, rest they just kick out

• I'm just using 10gb drive and 1 core CPU to run tinyproxy instance for transparent proxy, been using last 6 months free tier no ban

• Command sudo /usr/libexec/oci-growfs did the trick and now I can see my drive.

[opc@arm ~]$ df -H
    Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs                     13G     0   13G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                        13G     0   13G   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                        13G   35M   13G   1% /run
    tmpfs                        13G     0   13G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-root  203G   15G  189G   8% /
    /dev/mapper/ocivolume-oled   11G  114M   11G   2% /var/oled
    /dev/sda2                   1.1G  527M  537M  50% /boot
    /dev/sda1                   105M  6.2M   99M   6% /boot/efi
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/0
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/987
    tmpfs                       2.5G     0  2.5G   0% /run/user/1000

• How do I open incoming port 80 on Arm instance? I have added this Ingress rule in Virtual Cloud Network but it doesn't seem to be working. The first three rules are added by Oracle while the last one is added by me.

I have installed nginx and when I open browser and type my public IP then it doesn't show default nginx page. By the way I noticed that there is no default website created in nginx so may be this is one of the reason (and 2nd reason could be port 80 issue). Normally when I install nginx on Debain, it always creates a default website at /etc/nginx/sites-available/default but here the directory sites-available doesn't exist.

@lesuser said:

How do I open incoming port 80 on Arm instance? I have added this Ingress rule in Virtual Cloud Network but it doesn't seem to be working.

There is another set of firewall rules inside the VM. Oracles images are stupid like that

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • edited August 2022

EDIT: Sry, wrong thread.
    EDIT2: But to not derail this thread completely, perhaps /\ explains why I was having problems connecting to RDP on OCI using the theoretically same Ubuntu image the other day (with a config that did work elsewhere).. the more you know ;)

• Used the following to open port 80 and it works now. I am able to see nginx default page.

https://github.com/vladrunk/howTo/wiki/Open-80-443-port-on-OracleCloud