The-Online.com Shared Hosting Review | cPanel Hosting and VPS Hosting

edited December 2021 in Reviews

About Shared-Hosting:
I have been a client with The-Online.com for 4 years now. The first order of mine which I ordered 4 years ago is still something I’m using to this day, it is a cPanel hosting service which has been running reliably (it hosts my main ecommerce business). Their shared hosting includes free backups with JetBackup. That’s a useful feature I had to use several times when I found myself accidentally deleting files! Also its lightning fast speed compared to my older web-host like godaddy, bluehost and namecheap-hosting. Ah! you get free domain name if you purchase hosting plan for annual terms. I had used their hosting deal where they offered 3rd year free-hosting if user purchases 2 years of hosting! I don't know if this hosting-offer is still going on or ended. But in all their service, uptime, reliability is top-notch and premium.

About VPS-Hosting:
I moved over two droplets from DigitalOcean over to The-Online.com VPS, both instances riding on 4 GB of RAM, one in U.S and the other in their Netherlands (Europe) location. Uptime and reliability has been very solid. Performance is better than DigitalOcean, not to mention the better cost savings for my wallet plus there 24/7 free support even for self-managed VPS. You can also order managed-vps with cPanel and dedicated support.

Fantastic deals for yearly pricing via Black-Friday. This company responses to tickets in less than 15 mins. Extremely helpful. No down time and excellent service provided all around. They don't care how much you spend with them, every customer is as important as the rest.

Overall a small yet, good and affordable hosting provider in U.S, Europe and Asia. you can give it a try.

Comments

• Nice summary, for me it has been @2 years since @MikePT conned me into signing up for the DE lifetime plan. Little room to complain. (just kidding mate, this has been one of my best investment till date!)

• edited August 2021

@vyas said: signing up for the DE lifetime plan

Do you see (or where do you see) automated daily backups taken by jetbackup in DA user account? (by provider)
    I find it always empty.

• Thanks for posting! We've halved your performance! :lol:

Thanked by (3)ehab Chievo nickelodeon
  • @bdl said:
    Thanks for posting! We've halved your performance! :lol:

if racknerd double or add me some centimeters i would vote him as a provider of the year

Thanked by (2)bdl lentro

Dentistry is my passion

• edited August 2021

@Chievo said:
    if racknerd double or add me some centimeters i would vote him as a provider of the year

iiiii knew it
    is it tiny?

Thanked by (3)Chievo bdl lentro
  • @ehab said:

@Chievo said:

is it tiny?

My brain sir? Definitely hahahaha well X2 is a good value double anything is usually good ;)

Dentistry is my passion

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Also a happy @MikePT client here. Server's snappy and Mike is a good guy ;)

Thanked by (2)nickelodeon MikePT
  • Amount of people shocked that RackNerd is oversold = 0

• edited August 2021

@corbpie said:
    Amount of people shocked that RackNerd is oversold = 0

i believe that on the LE* prices

Thanked by (1)webhostingservers
  • johnkjohnk Hosting Provider

Thanks for sharing this - I think it's an interesting benchmark, though I'd personally love to see actual site-render/load comparisons.

The total time seems far too reliant on MySQL numbers - which usually isn't even the heavy part on large-r WP sites. PHP looks promising though.

• @corbpie said: Amount of people shocked that RackNerd is oversold = 0

indeed they may be oversold as I can see on bgp.he.net that over 1000 sites sitting on my shared ip/hostname and a 4 CPU server damn busy to serve them 24/7! But its similar with my Bluehost server. 1000+ sites cramming the box.

Thanked by (1)webhostingservers
  • edited August 2021

@nickelodeon said: indeed they may be oversold as I can see on bgp.he.net that over 1000 sites sitting on my shared ip/hostname and a 4 CPU server racknerd vs mywp.pt

on my host's dual E5 with 32 CPU core I can say the provider can certainly host more than 2000 cpanel/DA accounts or sites. But on E3 4CPU 8HT server that can be called as "overloaded" if most of them are wordpress/joomla or heavy-CMS or forum sites. 1000 accounts seems normal if they are static sites

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

MySQL benchmark test plugin tests show MyW.pt hosting to be faster than HostMantis, especially the MySQL query test.

However, GTmetrix test, and load tests simulating visitors opening and browsing web pages, show HostMantis to perform faster (MyW doesn't do bad, only not faster).

The subjective impression when working in the backend and opening web pages (frontend) also looks like HostMantis is faster (again, MyW.pt doesn't perform slowly either, but it doesn't seem faster).

It's not very easy creating objective performance tests. I'm sure that each method has its limits and downsides. This is the best I could come up with so far, to compare front-end website performance, so that I can tell whether a provider is better or worse performing:
    WordPress website performance testing method

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited August 2021

@bikegremlin said: HostMantis to perform faster

Super costly hosting services like Hostmantis should be compared to similar priced premium Rackspace/LiquidWeb hosting plans. I've one with Liquid Web and if I compare that with Hostmantis on GTmetrix then Hostmantis sites loads tard slow like a snail infront of my Liquidweb (I've WP site with around 10K posts and 15-16 plugins installed, no CDN)

Also I've read a lot that people tend to avoid Hostmantis due to their unreliable renewal pricing and 300% price hikes, recurring coupons suddenly removed, and regular price-hikes almost every year! Even they've increased Directadmin hosting pricing, pushed users to more costly plans and removed some of the starter plans.

Sure shot any user who thinks rationally like me will avoid such unpredictable host and rather stick to either Low End host like MyW or Racknerd, or Premium, reliable host like liquid web or Rackspace. No Hostmantis. sorry.

• edited August 2021

costly hosting services like Hostmantis should be compared to similar priced premium Rackspace/LiquidWeb hosting plans

For realsies?

Sure shot any user who thinks rationally like me will avoid such unpredictable host and rather stick to either Low End host like MyW or Racknerd,

MyW.pt? Sure why not, esp. the lifetimes might turn out to be great value (or not, but lifetimes are always bets in a way), but being rational and choosing Racknerd? :D Sorry, it doesn't work that way, pick one ;)

HM, who seem to be doing their job as per bikegremlin's post and other people's testimonials, are perhaps not the nicest of all people (or, at least their support), but having experienced recently an unreliable host who did keep his promise of low prices and as a result, ended up deadpooling, I think HM's way of doing business (keeping the service in tact AND ceasing unsustainable deals) is 1000x times better.

Dustin, OTOH, is certainly trying to be a nice guy (as far as I could tell from lurking at OGF nowadays, no idea about what he was like in the past), but is nonetheless a scammer, thus, RackNerd is expected to deadpool eventually - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

@nickelodeon said:

@bikegremlin said: HostMantis to perform faster

Super costly hosting services like Hostmantis should be compared to similar priced premium Rackspace/LiquidWeb hosting plans. I've one with Liquid Web and if I compare that with Hostmantis on GTmetrix then Hostmantis sites loads tard slow like a snail infront of my Liquidweb (I've WP site with around 10K posts and 15-16 plugins installed, no CDN)

Also I've read a lot that people tend to avoid Hostmantis due to their unreliable renewal pricing and 300% price hikes, recurring coupons suddenly removed, and regular price-hikes almost every year! Even they've increased Directadmin hosting pricing, pushed users to more costly plans and removed some of the starter plans.

Sure shot any user who thinks rationally like me will avoid such unpredictable host and rather stick to either Low End host like MyW or Racknerd, or Premium, reliable host like liquid web or Rackspace. No Hostmantis. sorry.

My point was that test done by that plugin doesn't reflect "real-life" performance - at least from what I could see, test and measure.
    I used the two providers I'm currently using the most for an example and comparison (MyW and HM).

As far as providers go:
    My emotional response was to ditch HostMantis, but the rational analysis is that the hosting itself has been surprisingly stable and fast, in spite of the "fluctuating" pricing policy.

I also think that it's reasonable ("rational"?) to expect that prices of everything will keep going up (or stay the same on paper, with a diminished amount of what you get for the price).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

edited August 2021

@chimichurri said:

HM, who seem to be doing their job as per bikegremlin's post and other people's testimonials, are perhaps not the nicest of all people (or, at least their support), but having experienced recently an unreliable host who did keep his promise of low prices and as a result, ended up deadpooling, I think HM's way of doing business (keeping the service in tact AND ceasing unsustainable deals) is 1000x times better.

Current pricing:
    Even with their newest pricing, if we compare cPanel to cPanel, and DirectAdmin to other DirectAdmin hosting prices, HM prices are not outrageously expensive, especially considering the service quality, like speed and uptime - they seem to be close if not better than Veerotech and MDDhosting that cost a lot more (naming the two I've had the pleasure of testing/using, and they've both been good, no complaints).

Pricing policies:
    HM had one price hike, then after almost a year, they had an "account top-up bonus" promotion - where they gave 50% on top of what's paid into the account funds - to be used for paying for their services, can't be redeemed.

That could be considered quite fair if they hadn't pulled a second price hike right after that promotion. :)

That's why I call their pricing policy "a fluctuating one" - to remain polite and civil. :)

To be fair - they respected all the ongoing deals, making any renewals "hit" only at the next renewal time, and keeping the service quality high (if not even improving it) - at least in my experience.

My thoughts:
    I expect price hikes with any provider, and I'm making sure to be ready to move in case of any problems.

MyW lifetime has served me well and it still keeps running. So far so good. :)
    I wouldn't call that hosting slow, or bad.

Thanked by (1)MikePT

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2021

Hostmantis

Note the underlined word. :-)

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • Not going to try and defend HostMantis, but I do like them as a provider.

I have said several times I think their communications are not the best but I can understand, or potentially understand some of their actions.

When cPanel dropped their 1st price increase they had to act, so they did what they felt they had to do in terms of pricing. But I don't think they thought ahead. As in cPanel increasing the price yet again in such a short period of time. So they had to react to that with a 2nd price change.

I think they then made the decision to ensure there would not be a 3rd change, at least not for some time. The expectation is that there will be annual rises in cPanel licensing, probably the main licence cost every year, the per cPanel account cost less often.

Chances are they will increase pricing again, hopefully not for a while this time.

Many providers were able to maintain pricing and some still offer unlimited accounts. I think it is safe to say they are able to do this as they don't actually have the customer numbers they claim and therefore the impact is far less. Where HostMantis will have the customer number and the cost is a real issue for them.

They offer a good service, for the money the performance is good. Better than some I use in the UK that charge more.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Thanks for the review. Your CPU steal has been doubled!

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason said:

My provider doubled the price when I mentioned order number

• @vyas said:

@Mason said:

My provider doubled the price when I mentioned order number

I didn’t.

• "moving from Buyshared to more faster Racknerd" - gold!

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

Thank you SO MUCH for this review, it makes us proud, as a small family business, to see some action in public and an excellent review about us! It's rare - usually, only upset clients post reviews.
    We've been more than happy to keep MyW rocking - the servers are well managed, trust me!

You've made our day guys! <3

@Mason said:

DONE!

Thanked by (1)ehab
  • edited August 2021

@MikePT said: We've been more than happy to keep MyW rocking - the servers are well managed, trust me!

I agree indeed it feels the servers are neatly managed. It has uptime of more than 220 days. WOW.

I've always read good about MikePT on LET and LES and would certainly try to host my production sites over at myw.pt.

I would personally prefer to host with guys that know in and out of the server like MikePT or Francisco :-)

But I'm not a big fan of marketing-only-oriented hosts.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • so now @nickelodeon

Thanked by (1)nickelodeon

@nickelodeon said:

@MikePT said: We've been more than happy to keep MyW rocking - the servers are well managed, trust me!

I agree indeed it feels the servers are neatly managed. It has uptime of more than 220 days. WOW.

I've always read good about MikePT on LET and LES and would certainly try to host my production sites over at myw.pt.

I would personally prefer to host with guys that know in and out of the server like MikePT or Francisco :-)

But I'm not a big fan of marketing-only-oriented hosts.

The old DE server had a much better uptime. It was never rebooted. As this one has never been!
    We do have quite a few high traffic websites, it performs great 👌

Thanked by (1)nickelodeon