Hetzner introduces MAC Mini

Seems like they want to get part of the cake for themselfs.
It can be super cool for app devs :)
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-apple

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2021

For the specs and price offered, one can buy a brand new Mac Mini and keep it for next 6 or 7 years. Maybe there is a market for a Mac Mini "VPS" but I do not get it. Even for short term project (say 3 to 4 months) the setup fees make the cost too high.

Squats are the new Push-ups

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

@vyas said:
    For the specs one can buy a brand new Mac Mini and keep it for next 6 or 7 years. Maybe there is a market for a Mac Mini "VPS" but I do not get it.

apple related development (apps etc)

• They look cool, and the idea of having one seems quite cool but I can't justify it.

• Well, there are no big demand for mac vps & ios system. But there are websites who offer it. It can be a good niche for them since customers will get latest available hardware.
    If I would want to buy it, for sure only due to Final Cut, it works on macos and it's awesome

• Does the Hetzner VPs include Final Cut license?

Squats are the new Push-ups

• @vyas said:
    Does the Hetzner VPs include Final Cut license?

Ofcourse not, only server

Thanked by (1)webcraft
  • Finally another player in this space. This will be good for CI/CD or dev machine.

Someone maybe complaint it too expensive, but from business perspective if something goes wrong it can be replaced in few minutes

• edited October 2021

@hey said:
    Finally another player in this space. This will be good for CI/CD or dev machine.
    Someone maybe complaint it too expensive, but from business perspective if something goes wrong it can be replaced in few minutes

My business private perspective is obviously different than yours - isn't AX41 a better deal? More RAM, more + faster (NVM and not SSD) disk space, and the CPU seems to be about the same, for less money - I'm really curious, why would you choose a Mac like this for CI/CD? (unless you specifically need macOS for development...?)

In any case, at least they are cheaper than Scaleway, although OTOH, there's no hourly billing available

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• My preconception is that money is just numbers for Apple users, so I am surprised that some here are talking about costs.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @chimichurri said:
    I'm really curious, why would you choose a Mac like this for CI/CD? (unless you specifically need macOS for development...?)

You answered it yourself 🙂
    Everything else should use linux-based

Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • edited October 2021

I'm starting to actually consider the new Pro. Wait for pricing.

Edit : NVM. I'll use potato pc.

• I believe there could be a need for this. I believe "Apple developers" are pretty much stuck on MacOS for some of the work they need to do to develop Apps.

• @Groentjuh said:
    I believe there could be a need for this. I believe "Apple developers" are pretty much stuck on MacOS for some of the work they need to do to develop Apps.

As a developer, I own a M1 macbook myself, and my company have more than one mac machine per human being. Renting is just not cost-effective.

Action and Reaction in history