Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Released

XenicXenic OG
edited October 2021 in General

Hello folks,
The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W was released circa before an hour.
And i want to show you and sum up the differences between the Zero W and Zero 2 W.
The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W costs about 15$USD (15,90 €).
The Pi Zero 2 W has now a Quad Core procressor it's actually the Arm Cortex-A53 @ 1GHz from the Raspberry Pi 3 but downclocked. That means that the Pi Zero 2 W support now 64bit OS. The Pi Zero 2 W has still 512MB of RAM. One special thing which is new is that the CPU and RAM are now together in a Package which is named: RP3A0. But many things are still the same compared to the RaspberryPi Zero W. They have released btw as well a new Power supply (not included). What i personally don't like on the Pi Zero 2 W is that it still has micro-usb instead of USB-C. It's already available at many resellers, i probably will buy me one and make some benchmarks then with it.

Sources:
https://raspberrypi.com/news/new-raspberry-pi-zero-2-w-2/
https://raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-2-w/

Comments

• Per https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29022953 from Jeff Geerling who has been testing it for a few weeks :

My biggest concern is overheating—even at the base 1 GHz clock, it will start to throttle after a few minutes in a case with no airflow or heat sink. You can overclock to 1.2, 1.4, or even in some cases 1.5 GHz, but it starts throttling a lot more quickly unless you have really good cooling.

• ialexpwialexpw OGServices Provider

Just purchased one, will be interesting to play around with!

Syuh - sftp, rsync & rclone accessible storage from 50GB to TBs.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Ordered for good measure. Gonna build a webcam live stream with it (sunset not the sexy kind).

Starting to have more than enough little boards lying around though tbh

Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • Dear Mr. Christopher Barnatt has already uploaded a video ExplainingComputerPi.

• I do not plan to order Zero 2 W.
    512MB is too small to be useful.

I have two units of original Zero W.

One unit is supposedly home surveillance camera but actually idling because I never finished developing the camera app.
    I do have a nice GPU contour detection demo: https://yoursunny.com/t/2018/contour-PiCamera/

The other unit is supposedly photo album but actually powered off because I never started developing the app beyond hardware assembly.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited October 2021

The sad thing about the Zero is, no ethernet plug.
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

All the adapters are to fucking expense, besides there are some cheap ones but their are shit.

• The zero series never had ethernet, which is ok, it's a tiny embedded whatever. More scary is the original zero used a 1 or maybe it was 1.5 amp adapter and the zero 2 uses 2.5 amps. Overheating etc. I will stay with the original if possible.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • My 4B is doing it's job perfectly (idling)

Action and Reaction in history

• edited October 2021

Still need a proper purpose for my (bridged USB resistor) 1B lurking behind the TV. I remember getting totally pee'd off trying to get a suitable mains adapter and USB hub.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

@Neoon said:
    The sad thing about the Zero is, no ethernet plug.
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

All the adapters are to fucking expense, besides there are some cheap ones but their are shit.

You probably know this already, but you can make it boot and login to wifi immediately by writing the wifi into to the boot disk after you flash it. i.e. no screen & keyboard & eth needed

• @havoc said:
    You probably know this already, but you can make it boot and login to wifi immediately by writing the wifi into to the boot disk after you flash it. i.e. no screen & keyboard & eth needed

Yes, if the frequencies and channels here would be empty or way less used, it would be an option.
    But 2.4Ghz is cramped like a virmach deal, can't even get a 1080p Cam stream stable.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

@Neoon said:

@havoc said:

Yes, if the frequencies and channels here would be empty or way less used, it would be an option.
    But 2.4Ghz is cramped like a virmach deal, can't even get a 1080p Cam stream stable.

I've been toying with streams too - best as I can tell it's the encoding that is the reason it is sketchy not the wifi. So with a bit of luck this v2 will be better. About to find out...my v2 should arive this weekend

• @havoc said:

@Neoon said:

@havoc said:

I've been toying with streams too - best as I can tell it's the encoding that is the reason it is sketchy not the wifi. So with a bit of luck this v2 will be better. About to find out...my v2 should arive this weekend

No its not the hardware, its the frequency band.
    Sadly Pi Zero only has 2.4Ghz single band.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

@Neoon said: No its not the hardware, its the frequency band.

The wifi throughput is more than enough for a 1080p 30fps stream...perhaps even two:

[  5] local 192.168.1.222 port 5201 connected to 192.168.1.58 port 34454
    [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
    [  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.36 MBytes  19.8 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  2.62 MBytes  22.0 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  2.17 MBytes  18.2 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  2.31 MBytes  19.4 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  2.55 MBytes  21.4 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  2.21 MBytes  18.5 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  2.57 MBytes  21.5 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  2.30 MBytes  19.3 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  2.05 MBytes  17.2 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  2.54 MBytes  21.3 Mbits/sec
    [  5]  10.00-10.38  sec  1.14 MBytes  24.9 Mbits/sec

And that's in a big city with a ton of 2.4ghz noise.

...that assumes you can x264 encode it at reasonable speed though, which the pi zero can't. Even the v2 is <1fps x264 encoding by the looks of it.

If you mean uncompressed raw...yeah then you need north of 1gbps which frankly would require wifi6 and isn't really a realistic expectation for a little pi

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited October 2021

@havoc said:

@Neoon said: No its not the hardware, its the frequency band.

The wifi throughput is more than enough for a 1080p 30fps stream...perhaps even two:

[  5] local 192.168.1.222 port 5201 connected to 192.168.1.58 port 34454
    [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
    [  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.36 MBytes  19.8 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  2.62 MBytes  22.0 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  2.17 MBytes  18.2 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  2.31 MBytes  19.4 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  2.55 MBytes  21.4 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  2.21 MBytes  18.5 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  2.57 MBytes  21.5 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  2.30 MBytes  19.3 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  2.05 MBytes  17.2 Mbits/sec
    [  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  2.54 MBytes  21.3 Mbits/sec
    [  5]  10.00-10.38  sec  1.14 MBytes  24.9 Mbits/sec

And that's in a big city with a ton of 2.4ghz noise.

...that assumes you can x264 encode it at reasonable speed though, which the pi zero can't. Even the v2 is <1fps x264 encoding by the looks of it.

If you mean uncompressed raw...yeah then you need north of 1gbps which frankly would require wifi6 and isn't really a realistic expectation for a little pi

I think you did not read or understand what I said.
    It has nothing to do with any wifi hardware nor cpu, the band here is cramped as fuck.

Hence wifi on 2.4Ghz here is beyond useless.
    Which is the reason why I am looking for RJ45.

@Neoon said:
    I think you did not read or understand what I said.
    It has nothing to do with any wifi hardware nor cpu, the band here is cramped as fuck.

Hence wifi on 2.4Ghz here is beyond useless.
    Which is the reason why I am looking for RJ45.

Ah right gotcha. Yes I had kinda assumed we're discussion the boards capabilities in general here.

Yeah I've been eyeballing Wifi6E/6ghz gear...only a matter of time till 5ghz is wrecked too :/

• I almost bought the Pi, case and power cord and hdmi adapter....

then I got drunk and closed the browser window.

Thanked by (3)uptime AlwaysSkint Ympker
  • NeoonNeoon OG
    edited October 2021

@vyas said:
    I almost bought the Pi, case and power cord and hdmi adapter....

then I got drunk and closed the browser window.

Thanked by (2)vyas Ympker
  • Remember there's more single board computers out there than the mediocre offerings by rpi.

Radxa, odroid, pine64, libre computer, khadas, friendly arm, firefly to name a few.

Thanked by (2)vedran uptime
  • @lanefu said:
    Remember there's more single board computers out there than the mediocre offerings by rpi.

Radxa, odroid, pine64, libre computer, khadas, friendly arm, firefly to name a few.

Following up to myself

https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/11/01/raspberry-pi-zero-2-w-vs-radxa-zero-features-and-benchmarks-comparison/

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @lanefu said:
    Remember there's more single board computers out there than the mediocre offerings by rpi.

I know, I'm thinking currently as well to buy some Raxda boards.

Thanked by (1)lanefu
  • @Xenic said: 15$USD (15,90 €)

That's why I dislike Pi. It's supposed to be like $5, $15, $35 or whatever but in the end when you buy it in Europe it ends up being much more. Even 15,90 € would be (kind of) acceptable, but I remember buying the original Pi and instead of $35 it ended up costing something like €60 or ($70). It's cool and all but there are just better options out there these days

• @vedran said:

@Xenic said: 15$USD (15,90 €)

That's why I dislike Pi. It's supposed to be like $5, $15, $35 or whatever but in the end when you buy it in Europe it ends up being much more. Even 15,90 € would be (kind of) acceptable, but I remember buying the original Pi and instead of $35 it ended up costing something like €60 or ($70). It's cool and all but there are just better options out there these days

The Pi's are still cheap and not expensive, but i know what you mean you need to find a Reseller which is approved they sell them for a acceptable price in Europe. Other Boards cost much more in Europe because they need to get imported in smaller amounts.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@vedran said:

@Xenic said: 15$USD (15,90 €)

Yup.
    Arduino is a lot more affordable:
    https://www.arduino.cc/

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Got my zero v2 today.

Can't get geekbench to complete so can't post benches but feels noticably faster than v1...not quite rasp3 but not far off either which lines up with specs I guess

• There's tons of benchmarks out there and apparently the thermals aren't as bad as I expected:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/10/29/raspberry-pi-zero-2-w-mini-review-benchmarks-and-thermal-performance/

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • Bookmarking this for a home automation + surveillance project.

Gotta lay that ethernet though first.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited November 2021

@vimalware said:
    Bookmarking this for a home automation + surveillance project.

Gotta lay that ethernet though first.

I prefer getting laid first.
    Laying ethernet comes secondary