Additional charge from Fastspring for Paypal transaction

Hello,

Please if anyone knows about Fastspring, share their thoughts on this.

My current host changed their payment option from direct Paypal to Fastspring Paypal.

The problem now :
1. There's a tax now (10%, but not a ​problem)
2. Fastspring add another $10 charge for my transaction using Paypal.

Is this even legal? I never know there will be an addiitonal charge for my transaction (not shown on payment page).

Is it possible to ask for refund for this charge?

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited November 2021

Isn't that against the PayPal ToS, though?
    I thought they did not allow providers to charge their clients extra just using PayPal to pay.

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint
  • @Fritz said:
    Hello,

Please if anyone knows about Fastspring, share their thoughts on this.

My current host changed their payment option from direct Paypal to Fastspring Paypal.

The problem now :
    1. There's a tax now (10%, but not a ​problem)
    2. Fastspring add another $10 charge for my transaction using Paypal.

Is this even legal? I never know there will be an addiitonal charge for my transaction (not shown on payment page).

Is it possible to ask for refund for this charge?

If that is a problem, one can consider other providers rather than fretting about it?
    If that 10 dollar charge is against PP TOS, then PP may penalize them- also a risk to their business and also customers.
    Another reason to avoid.

• The problem is, my provider never acknowledge they charge their client but Fastspring as 3rd party payment processor.

Can I still issue a chargeback or refund maybe?

• That doesn't sound right, even if they were charging $10 to use PayPal they should have stated that before proceeding. You need to get in touch with them. Raise it with your provider at the same time.

• That's a shitty practice.

Probably best to avoid that host in the future.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

the only time i used fastspring it was on racknerd. i did not see this issue

• edited November 2021

@Lee said:
    That doesn't sound right, even if they were charging $10 to use PayPal they should have stated that before proceeding. You need to get in touch with them. Raise it with your provider at the same time.

They (my host) says that I should contact Fastspring directly as they don't have the control for the charge.

I have contacted Fastspring, so far only robot respond from them.

@deank said:
    That's a shitty practice.

Probably best to avoid that host in the future.

I will. I'll try to contact Paypal as well.

Addition to this :

In Paypal transaction summary,

Only the second transaction is recorded (invoice value), the first charge (additional $10 charge) is not listed on Paypal Summary.

• I have contacted both Paypal and Fastspring.

So far, Fastspring has replied to my email about $10 charge and they said can not find the charge on their system and they assume it was a pre authorization for card that will be drop off to card in 5 - 10 business days.

Is this acceptable? Isn't this against Paypal TOS?

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited November 2021

@Fritz said:
    I have contacted both Paypal and Fastspring.

So far, Fastspring has replied to my email about $10 charge and they said can not find the charge on their system and they assume it was a pre authorization for card that will be drop off to card in 5 - 10 business days.

Is this acceptable? Isn't this against Paypal TOS?

If it's just an authorization to check if you can actually pay and it drops off, it wouldn't be against PayPal TOS. Many cloud or hourly billed hosting providers do this (including AWS, Vultr, DigitalOcean, etc) to ensure that you are using a valid payment method, though they usually only do $1.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• TemasekTechTemasekTech Hosting Provider

smtp2go also using fastspring to process paypal, using for a long time also never encounter the issue you mention.

TemasekTech - AS139859 and AS209187
    Building Cloud Technology with Global Network
    Official Website - https://www.TemasekTech.com