Who do you use for cold backup?

I am finally going to design my 3-2-1 backup plan, which is a step up from my current plan:
replace hard drives before they fail
So, wonder how is everyone's plan look like, what services do you use?
The obvious provider would be AWS... but any other contenders?

The all seeing eye sees everything...

Comments

• MicronodeMicronode Hosting Provider

How much storage do you require? Also how cold is the storage? Maybe S3 Glacier could work for you or depending on the amount of storage I’m sure a provider would be able to do custom large storage deals.

• I typically use Wasabi. But S3 glacier would be great considering the new 100GB free egress + 1TB free Cloudfront

Thanked by (1)terrorgen
  • b2 (with or without Cloudflare depending on use)

Thanked by (1)terrorgen
  • Don't wasabi only have one price (i.e. hot storage)? Same for B2. AWS glacier deep storage is $1/TB/mo, but of course retrieval costs can kill you. Scaleway C14 is 2 Euro/TB/mo, but lower retrieval cost.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2022

@tetech said:
    Don't wasabi only have one price (i.e. hot storage)? Same for B2. AWS glacier deep storage is $1/TB/mo, but of course retrieval costs can kill you. Scaleway C14 is 2 Euro/TB/mo, but lower retrieval cost.

Cost comparison from backblaze. We are considering it for our use- once we start video podcasts. Not sure if these are reasonable prices

(10 TB total backup, with 1 TB/ month data xfer -
    considering cold storage)

——-

Excellent questions by @natvps_uk btw

How much storage do you require? Also how cold is the storage?

Depending on storage requirements the 2 TB plan from sync.com (solo basic or the solo professional ) can also be an option.

I like sync. Rather under rated in the space
    https://www.sync.com/pricing/

Thanked by (1)terrorgen
  • I probably have less than 1tb to back up unless I count those Linux ISOs I gathered the past decade and a half.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Using onedrive - O365 fam comes with 6TB. And since I need office anyway....

Be sure to encrypt those linux isos...cloud providers hashing copyright content is becoming more fashionable

Thanked by (2)vyas dosai
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hi @terrorgen! I have a 5 TB Seagate lifetime! :) It cost $95 last Christmas. :)

I know this probably isn't what you want, but I can't resist joking around! ¡Saludos! 🤩

Thanked by (2)terrorgen ehab

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @terrorgen! I have a 5 TB Seagate lifetime! :) It cost $95 last Christmas. :)

I know this probably isn't what you want, but I can't resist joking around! ¡Saludos! 🤩

Then uploaded to the cloud via IPoAC?

• @terrorgen I'm curious how much are you willing to pay for say 2TB lifetime encrypted storage?

Team push-ups!

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@terrorgen said:

@Not_Oles said:

Then uploaded to the cloud via IPoAC?

Definitely! How appropriate to mention clouds in the context of IPoAC!

You win this round! ✨💖

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider

I just backup my personal files to my Gsuite Unlimited $12/month legacy plan :)

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@vyas if you proxy Cloudflare in front of B2, you don’t have to pay for any egress costs due to the bandwidth alliance right? Doesn’t that make it a no-brained? And $5/TB/mo without egress costs makes it cheaper than Wasabi… or do I not understand it correctly?

• For a cold backup, I use my own server at home. It's just a simple 1U storage server that I built.

Thanked by (2)Ganonk skorous

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• The ultimate cold backup: GitHub Archive Program.
    Arctic Code Vault Contributor

Upload your files in a public repository on GitHub.
    Wait a few years.
    It will be printed as microfilm and store in a cold vault.
    Your files will last long past the humanity.

Thanked by (4)terrorgen Mei Unixfy Kalipus

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• If you are using Wasabi, be aware that they have a minimum storage duration policy which affects pricing.

https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058734492-How-does-Wasabi-s-minimum-storage-duration-policy-work-

• vyasvyas OG
    edited January 2022

@yoursunny said:
    The ultimate cold backup: GitHub Archive Program.
    Arctic Code Vault Contributor

Upload your files in a public repository on GitHub.
    Wait a few years.
    It will be printed as microfilm and store in a cold vault.
    Your files will last long past the humanity.

Microsoft Putting azure to use for this?

• @lentro said:
    @vyas if you proxy Cloudflare in front of B2, you don’t have to pay for any egress costs due to the bandwidth alliance right? Doesn’t that make it a no-brained? And $5/TB/mo without egress costs makes it cheaper than Wasabi… or do I not understand it correctly?

That was the reason behind posting the link and screenshot.
    There are quite a few folks who loathe CF.
    So they get both pricing options to play with

Thanked by (1)lentro
  • @vyas said:

@lentro said:

That was the reason behind posting the link and screenshot.
    There are quite a few folks who loathe CF.
    So they get both pricing options to play with

can you use the s3 API with the proxied domain? last time I tested, there were errors when connecting via cloudflare-proxied domain, which makes it useless if your using most backup softwares. plus, wasabi has more locations available, which is a big plus too.

Thanked by (1)lentro