Wordpress hosting by Elementor - @ 100 US $/ year

vyasvyas OG
edited February 2022 in WordPress

Saw this on ProductHunt, Below are my thoughts and some points are summarized by a WP influencer in a FB group:
All based on the Google Cloud Platform
Sites are hosted in Belgium, but they use the Cloudflare CDN
Covers 100k monthly visits and 100 gigs of bandwidth (CDN should be excluded)
No email hosting
US $ $99 per year for 1 site, no discounts for more than one website
Not clear on the cost of overages

Woocommerce. Single site only (no multi)
No clarity on GDPR- given the location

You know which site to visit :-)

Comments

• Um why would anyone on LES care about this? Could a $5/y shared hosting plan not handle that amount of workload?

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

That's an easy skip, I guess. Most people on LES are probably sitting on a reseller or know where to get affordable shared hosting anyway. Seems like an attempt from Elementor to squeeze out money.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Yes, as @Ympker and @willie have noted above, it's about making money, of course, with questionable benefits for an average LES member.

Of course, being WordPress-related, it's good that @vyas shared the info here.

This looks like an industry-wide trend of accumulation. Companies grouping together, or one company trying to offer more than one service. Like a full package, one-stop-shop. Elementor is a hugely popular plugin, so that's a big marketing platform to use for selling web-hosting.

For an average Jane/Joe, it could be a good option, if the hosting is of decent quality, with good support. Good support might even justify the price (if an average Joe is the target customer).

The link with the offer details:
    https://elementor.com/features/cloud/#get-cloud

Of course, they've banned the competitive page builders: :)
    https://elementor.com/help/cloud-elementor-cloud-incompatible-plugins/

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2022

Why did I post here?

@bikegremlin put it well, and let me add:

From an era of infrastructure provider + host + cms + (bells and whistles for cms) + cdn

Where Typically an individual or business had to deal with multiple touchpoints.

This is another data that point towards industry migration to

Infrastructure provider + (host providing cms + bells and whistles +cdn)

Elementor’s CLV number went up from US $ 250 odd to somewhere near US $400, assuming a base tier of 1 license for elementor, renewed annually. Each customer typically stays for 5 years.

This is a step beyond managed WP hosting. They are not alone.

10 Web

Brizy (WP Part, not cloud)

Bookmark (though not WP specific)

One can go on.

With automattic moving to pagebuilder territory, more of the above to come. This is not Wordpress VIP hosting..

If someone believes that this is an industry trend that LES users wouldn’t care about, then it is a poor understanding of their awareness and interest.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • MikeAMikeA Hosting ProviderOG

Hosted on Google Cloud, managed/all-in-one website builder and hosting for $99/y is a pretty good deal. I used to manage a few Wordpress sites for relatives businesses and wouldn't do it again, especially having to deal with handing off random info when it's passed on to others like hosting accounts, WP login and a guide on how to actually maintain it.. Stuff like this is really useful for people who aren't experienced like most of us here, and it's cheaper than what I paid for Knownhost web hosting (since I wanted a reputable, long term web host to have it running on for relatives).

ExtraVM - High RAM Specials
    Yours truly.

• Thanks, I'm not familiar with Elementor and don't use wordpress so I'll have to take your word that there is some kind of value here. I host a few basic static websites on free hosting and a self-coded dynamic site on a low end vps, but none are as fancy as wordpress.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin put it well

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

On a more serious note - it is an industry trend worth noting.

Here's another example - Ocean WP + Cloudways:
    https://oceanwp.org/blog/partnering-with-cloudways/

Also, in terms of time ~ money, as @MikeA says, for some people, the offer could in fact be a good one (just as, for me, using reseller hosting beats managing a VPS, even if it's a bit cheaper in terms of $).

It could be argued that it's potentially more robust if you have all the services separated. If one thing goes out, you replace and fix only that one thing. But that does make things a bit more complicated for an average user (In my experience, most people just want WP-login credentials, preferring to have someone else take care of everything else).

Thanked by (2)Ympker vyas

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @willie said:

none are as fancy as wordpress.

You are a smart and fortunate person to stay away from Quicksand called WordP.

Thanked by (2)Ympker bikegremlin
    edited February 2022

Fwiw I just remembered there's also Divi Hosting (partnering with Flywheel, Cloudways, SG and others)
    https://www.elegantthemes.com/hosting/

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin vyas
    edited February 2022

@bikegremlin said:

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin put it well

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

On a more serious note - it is an industry trend worth noting.

Here's another example - Ocean WP + Cloudways:
    https://oceanwp.org/blog/partnering-with-cloudways/

Also, in terms of time ~ money, as @MikeA says, for some people, the offer could in fact be a good one (just as, for me, using reseller hosting beats managing a VPS, even if it's a bit cheaper in terms of $).

It could be argued that it's potentially more robust if you have all the services separated. If one thing goes out, you replace and fix only that one thing. But that does make things a bit more complicated for an average user (In my experience, most people just want WP-login credentials, preferring to have someone else take care of everything else).

Definitely with you there regarding reseller hosting. I haven't used a VPS for hosting websites in a while and I haven't looked back, really. (Good) Reseller Hosting is just more convenient and performance is also sufficient.

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2022

@Ympker said:

Definitely with you there regarding reseller hosting. I haven't used a VPS for hosting websites in a while and I haven't looked back, really. (Good) Reseller Hosting is just more convenient and performance is also sufficient.

I hear you. My blog is now hosted on Shared hosting, though main site is still on VPS (counter Intuitive, I know) but the day I figure out (i.e. learn) how to use SSH + Composr + Nodejs in Shared hosting, I will move completely back. Till then, I call it a hybrid model :-)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited February 2022

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

I hear you. My blog is now hosted on Shared hosting, though main site is still on VPS (counter Intuitive, I know) but the day I figure out (i.e. learn) how to use SSH + Composr + Nodejs in Shared hosting, I will move completely back. Till then, I call it a hybrid model :-)

If you find some good tutorial/guides regarding this (nodejs, composer on shared hosting), or how to setup Python on DA, feel free to drop me a pm :)

The first tutorial Google found was from Namecheap:

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9977/29/how-to-install-composer-on-shared-servers/

Will read up on that later :)

Thanked by (1)vyas