Arm based laptops

With more and more manufacturers looking at arm based laptops
I thought of compiling a list. Feel free to add brands that you may be aware of (announcements, not production are okay).

Lenovo Snapdragon Thinkpad
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/02/lenovo-announces-the-first-arm-based-thinkpad/

Squats are the new Push-ups

Comments

• If only all those ARM based laptops would have proper (mainline) Linux support... I just don't get the point of running Windows on an ARM laptop to then run emulated x86 Windows software on it.

• What's wrong with Ubuntu, or is that not mainline enough? ;) (using it on Oracle Cloud without any problems)

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• @chimichurri said:
    What's wrong with Ubuntu, or is that not mainline enough? ;) (using it on Oracle Cloud without any problems)

Well... does it support any of those ARM laptops (including proper GPU support)?

• edited February 2022

Good question! It seems that some are indeed supported (albeit unofficially, and sadly, without accelerated graphics): https://github.com/aarch64-laptops/build
    The same organization has a Debian repo too, but I'm guessing it's the same as far as GPU support goes: https://github.com/aarch64-laptops/debian-cdimage

Older devices mentioned in the above links (from companies other than Lenovo): HP [Envy x2], Asus [NovaGo TP370QL]
    Other relatively recent ARM-based laptops I'm aware of: Samsung Galaxy Book S, Microsoft Surface Pro X, Pinebook (regular/Pro) - at least the last one should support some kind of Linux

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Seems inevitable after the M1 apples...but would still be wary at 1st gen

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Hosting ProviderOG

Performance seems pretty decent too, https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/12291081 and assuming its got maybe a 9W-15W TDP it should have a pretty decent battery life too, wonder how it compares to the upcoming Intel 12th gen "U" series which has SKUs in that same 9W-15W TDP band

Thanked by (1)vyas

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida

• 8c/16 GB is not bad configuration at all.

I suppose it is soldered. Interesting that some of the laptops are in premium range. Similar to Chromebook. Some I see in the 800 US dollar range on amazon .in.

Perhaps they are testing the market to see if a new segment can be created.

• What you should pay attention to is whether the software you use has an arm version or not. I got the macbook m1 and it is good. But I often need to use the x86 environment. This is a bit annoying

Action and Reaction in history

• Yeah I'd also want to know how well a laptop runs linux before I thought about buying it. Idr whether the Frame.work uses arm. I think it is possible to build a reasonable laptop around a raspberry pi or similar, tbh. It wouldn't be for hardcore development since I always use remote servers for that anyway.

• bruh21bruh21 Hosting Provider

I heard Windows with ARM is terrible

• @bruh21 said:

In my experience Widows without arm is also terrible.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny n1ghtm4r3x

@vyas said:

@bruh21 said:

Fair enough
    As with most things I’ll hold out until it’s more polished either way

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@vyas said:

@bruh21 said:

haha .....

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

@vyas said:

@bruh21 said:

Anyways I haven’t personally tried any widows with or without arms

• @bruh21 said:

@vyas said:

@bruh21 said:

Anyways I haven’t personally tried any widows with or without arms

Cortana… korrtaaanaaa

• @vyas said:

@bruh21 said:

Agreed! It is terrible!

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @bruh21 said:

Windows does not have the heart to build arm version at all, windows arm most likely just a request from Qualcomm.

Action and Reaction in history