TorGuard blocking torrent traffic in U.S.

Hot news https://torrentfreak.com/torguard-settles-piracy-lawsuit-and-agrees-to-block-torrent-traffic-on-u-s-servers-220314/

"Good old" cestpit of shady activities, QuadraNet also mentioned.

Does anyone have doomsday theories about how VPN providers will be held responsible for pirating customers?

Comments

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Crap... as a TorGuard user since 2013, this is concerning. Maybe time to look for a different VPN provider.

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason said:
    Crap... as a TorGuard user since 2013, this is concerning. Maybe time to look for a different VPN provider.

Mullvad. Not the cheapest, but top-bollocks.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • @Nekki said:

@Mason said:

Mullvad. Not the cheapest, but top-bollocks.

+1 for Mullvad. Been using them for a few months for my Linux ISO sharing and it's top-notch.

Thanked by (1)Nekki
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited March 2022

VPN Unlimited/Keepsolid did something similar a couple of weeks ago (US servers only iirc):
    https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-provider-agrees-to-block-torrent-traffic-and-the-pirate-bay-on-u-s-servers-220117/

Probably more VPN providers will follow.
    For those interested in torrenting (I don't), these might be VPN locations worth considering: https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/torrents-illegal-update-country/

• @Mason said:

Same, pretty sure they getting Sued in Europe now too, gonna switch until its to Late.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • Yeah i already switched. Torguard stopped working on their socks5 proxy weeks back on all servers I tested. Started blocking trackers so I had to switch to pia. Kinda pissed me off since I had many months of service left

Recommended hosts:
    Letbox, Data ideas, Hetzner

• There will be collapse for those who paid for "lifetime" deals of vpn.

Thanked by (1)Mason

@legendary said:
    There will be collapse for those who paid for "lifetime" deals of vpn.

I'm always very wary of lifetime offers. One thing I really liked about TorGuard was that they never offered any lifetime deals. Sure, they gave literally everyone 50% off coupons, but no lifetimes.

• @legendary said:

You are probably right but I use vpnunlimited and ivacy almost every day since 2019. So far so good.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited March 2022

@legendary said:

I have purchased Keepsolid VPN in 2016 for 39$ and Windscribe lifetime in 2018(?!) for some 60$ish. Ivacy Lifetime also some time in 2017 for some 30-40$ and FastestVPN lifetime in 2018 for some 5$ with the pay-what-you-want Stacksocial deal. At this point all of these have been worth their money several times. They could vanish at any day now and I would still do it the same way all over again. That being said, I don't see Keepsolid, Windscribe or Ivacy going anywhere in the (near) future. Keepsolid (apparently) even still advertises their torrenting guide mentioned in the link above so it's just US servers (for now) receiving that kind of "treatment". Then again, I don't use VPN for torrenting whatsoever and it's probably not their sole user base either, so I would still very warmly recommend Keepsolid lifetime or FastestVPN lifetime (and even Ivacy; just keep in mind their 5 year thing). If you want to torrent, there are other locations than the US, too.

@dosai can only agree :)

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • Never used any VPN service so far.

No raids at my home.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @deank said:
    Never used any VPN service so far.

No raids at my home.

I’m sure, but you are on an awful lot of Watch Lists.

• @Nekki said:

@deank said:
    Never used any VPN service so far.

No raids at my home.

I’m sure, but you are on an awful lot of Watch Lists.

As long as you're not put on a no-fly list, it hardly matters.

• Kinda true. The last time I left Canada was 20 years ago or so.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

edited March 2022

@Mason in case you wanted to have a look, I've got a public spreadsheet where I list all the lifetime VPN/SmartDNS Deals I have purchased, along with some details such as "has expiry date? y/n", protocols, LE* users that use said VPN etc.
    I would still recommend any of the VPNs in my spreadsheet (except for R4AW VPN although props for still existing, I guess). I don't buy lifetime deals because I think they will last a lifetime, but rather because I think they will be around long enough to make my money's worth and I don't have to worry about yet another recurring sub. If you have any questions about the VPNs I use, feel free to ask :)
    I'd say the list of LE* users that have purchased Keepsolid VPN (found in my spreadsheet; see spoiler) is long enough to at least consider giving it a try :) And that list hasn't been updated in a while.

ark,bark,beagle,bloodyprince,casualcanvas,chocolateshirt, debaser,deepak_leb,definitelyliam,diantama,dosai,dragon1993,earl,elliotc,emperor,ernie88,footkaput,giang,iroshan464,jeromeza,jugganauts,king8654,kkrajk,magicvpn,missfortune,mtsbatalha,noaman,opennet,ouji,rahul,sanvit,schnafi,sgheghele,solaire,sonic,timbojones,vyas,ympker

I also have what I call a "VPN LTD canary", where I will mention if any of these lifetime deals happens to be terminated or otherwise suspended.

Thanked by (3)legendary Mason Aidan

@Ympker cheers, appreciate it!

@Ympker said: I don't buy lifetime deals because I think they will last a lifetime, but rather because I think they will be around long enough to make my money's worth and I don't have to worry about yet another recurring sub.

Yeah, when it's put that way it makes total sense. And if it's done right, it can sometimes work out for longer than expected (i.e. Plex Pass lifetime sub). Thanks again for the resource!

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited March 2022

@Mason said:

@Ympker said: I don't buy lifetime deals because I think they will last a lifetime, but rather because I think they will be around long enough to make my money's worth and I don't have to worry about yet another recurring sub.

Yeah, when it's put that way it makes total sense. And if it's done right, it can sometimes work out for longer than expected (i.e. Plex Pass lifetime sub). Thanks again for the resource!

You are welcome, mate :) Plex Pass is another good example. Although, "software" is probably more sustainable as a lifetime deal than services like VPN or even VPS (Mike), Storage (pCloud/Koofr lifetime) or Mail (Jar). At the end of the day, it's you who calls the shots. You have to live with the decisions you make and there are enough lifetime deals out there, that I am sure are scam, or haven't worked out. In the case of Keepsolid, they have been founded in 2013, Ivacy around 2010. pCloud and Koofr have been founded in 2013. With all these companies, at the point of purchase, I thought that they must be doing something right if they are still around. Of course, they could vanish at any moment and I wouldn't know when that moment is. I am just one guy that appears to has been lucky so far. It's all about doing your research, evaluating and then take your chances. I'm sure, whatever VPN you'll end up choosing, it'll be a good choice :)

Thanked by (1)Mason

@Ympker said:

@Mason said:

You are welcome, mate :) Plex Pass is another good example. Although, "software" is probably more sustainable as a lifetime deal than services like VPN or even VPS (Mike), Storage (pCloud/Koofr lifetime) or Mail (Jar). At the end of the day, it's you who calls the shots. You have to live with the decisions you make and there are enough lifetime deals out there, that I am sure are scam, or haven't worked out. I am just one guy that appears to have been lucky so far. It's all about doing your research, evaluating and then take your chances. I'm sure, whatever VPN you'll end up choosing, it'll be a good choice :)

You should be a motivational speaker. I feel unexpectedly pumped to find and commit to a new VPN provider now lol

Thanked by (1)Ympker

edited March 2022

@Mason said:

@Ympker said:

@Mason said:

You are welcome, mate :) Plex Pass is another good example. Although, "software" is probably more sustainable as a lifetime deal than services like VPN or even VPS (Mike), Storage (pCloud/Koofr lifetime) or Mail (Jar). At the end of the day, it's you who calls the shots. You have to live with the decisions you make and there are enough lifetime deals out there, that I am sure are scam, or haven't worked out. I am just one guy that appears to have been lucky so far. It's all about doing your research, evaluating and then take your chances. I'm sure, whatever VPN you'll end up choosing, it'll be a good choice :)

You should be a motivational speaker. I feel unexpectedly pumped to find and commit to a new VPN provider now lol

Haha, thanks for the praise mate. Btw. I added some extra info in the post you quoted, so perhaps read the edited/extended version.
    Good luck with your research and feel free to reach out if you have any specific VPN provider in mind and would like some feedback :)

Thanked by (1)Mason