Seeking RTO (rent-to-own) dedicated servers

KermEdKermEd OG
edited March 2022 in Requests

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using dacentec for my RTO server needs, primarily focused on older servers. They are mostly being used for dev servers.

Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if there is another budget RTO dedicated server provider? I have a few servers I'm currently backing up, but the data not super critical (more of an annoyance if something goes sideways).

Does anyone have other affordable RTO dedicated server companies in mind?

I'd prefer Rent-to-own, 32GB + RAM, Windows & Linux boxes, and 2TB drives. I know the price of dacentec is going to be hard to beat, but I'm just curious if there is anyone else I should be considering for a second location... I am also currently using Joe's Data Center for some dedicated servers, but they aren't rent-to-own.

Please note: I'm not really interested in buying them on ebay and tossing them in a colocation space at this time, although I do understand the advantages of that route.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Comments

• IIRC @Ian_Dot_Tech had RTO servers in the past, but I'm not sure if that's still available today.

Thanked by (2)Not_Oles KermEd

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Dacentec is the main leader in this space: https://dacentec.com/

However, there is a major flaw with RTO, potentially. Depending on how long the rental term is, it could take so long to buy out the server that by the time you own it, the cost of power consumption with colocating it is rarely worth keeping the system around in a datacenter.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• @CamoYoshi said:
    Dacentec is the main leader in this space: https://dacentec.com/

However, there is a major flaw with RTO, potentially. Depending on how long the rental term is, it could take so long to buy out the server that by the time you own it, the cost of power consumption with colocating it is rarely worth keeping the system around in a datacenter.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Dacentec is who I'm currently with for RTO and love it - I'm hoping to find a second provider :)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • @TheDP said:
    IIRC @Ian_Dot_Tech had RTO servers in the past, but I'm not sure if that's still available today.

Hmm thank you, I'll keep tabs on if they do!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • SGrafSGraf Hosting ProviderServices Provider

@KermEd said:
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently using dacentec for my RTO server needs, primarily focused on older servers. They are mostly being used for dev servers.

Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if there is another budget RTO dedicated server provider? I have a few servers I'm currently backing up, but the data not super critical (more of an annoyance if something goes sideways).

I'd prefer Rent-to-own, 32GB + RAM, Windows & Linux boxes, and 2TB drives. I know the price of dacentec is going to be hard to beat, but I'm just curious if there is anyone else I should be considering for a second location... I am also currently using Joe's Data Center for some dedicated servers, but they aren't rent-to-own.

Please note: I'm not really interested in buying them on ebay and tossing them in a colocation space at this time, although I do understand the advantages of that route.

RTO is a bit tricky some jurisdictions as it may require a "financial services" license.
    Especially with older hardware the other question that i will also pose, is if it makes sense financially (considering how much a colo spot would be afterwards).

So what i would suggest, is get a few colo offers and then ask if they can (or know someone that can) help with hardware financing.

MyRoot.PW ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Web-Hosting ★ LIR-Services ★
    MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★
    Blesta.Store ★ Blesta licenses and Add-ons at amazing Prices ★

• KermEdKermEd OG
    edited March 2022

@SGraf said:
    RTO is a bit tricky some jurisdictions as it may require a "financial services" license.
    Especially with older hardware the other question that i will also pose, is if it makes sense financially (considering how much a colo spot would be afterwards).

So what i would suggest, is get a few colo offers and then ask if they can (or know someone that can) help with hardware financing.

Thank you for that - I'm pretty stubborn about sticking with RTO. It isn't the cost or financing for server costs. And yeah I'll probably sound a tad crazy.

Without going into too much detail, I really don't want to use a colo or have our own personally owned servers for the next year or so that I need to worry about repairs and remote hands with. There is a good chance with someone like dacentec we will just stay racked and on their RTO plan after.

At the same time, we may be opening our own micro-DC for my business late this year. But I basically would just rather rent-to-own for the moment, as they are mostly for private dev stuff, and ship them later if needed.

These are mostly just personal use servers, and I don't know. I'd just rather do the RTO thing. I know it makes no sense but ... that's me, I'm odd. What I'm looking for now especially is a second DC to decentec for my dev mirrors. Low use. But something I can fail over to if I have to, and ideally something I can just own afterwards.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@KermEd @CamoYoshi

Hi Guys!

I took a quick look at dacentec's website but didn't see the rent to own terms. Hmm. Well, I didn't read the Terms of Service. Maybe it's in there.

Any idea what the terms are?

@CamoYoshi Thanks again for selling me Darkstar. She's beautiful and wonderful and still going strong! :)

Thanked by (2)CamoYoshi KermEd

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Not_Oles said:
    @KermEd @CamoYoshi

Hi Guys!

I took a quick look at dacentec's website but didn't see the rent to own terms. Hmm. Well, I didn't read the Terms of Service. Maybe it's in there.

@CamoYoshi Thanks again for selling me Darkstar. She's beautiful and wonderful and still going strong! :)

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/knowledgebase/article/16/rto-program/

• KermEdKermEd OG
    edited March 2022

@Not_Oles said:
    @KermEd @CamoYoshi

Hi Guys!

Hallo!!

It's definitely an interesting arrangement.

After 12 consecutive payments:

• You can leave things as-is, pay the same, and get the same free hardware replacements etc
    • Transfer it to their colo as your server. You have to pay for your hardware replacements and colo fees
    • Ship it to yourself or another colo

In my case, my servers are all the same price as colocation, so no reason to make the change. But nice being able to relocate them later.

I opted for:
    3x Dell 2xL5520 36GB 2x2TB SATA on /29 @ 35/m

Older hardware but they've been running excellent

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Those are cheaper to keep as RTO/rentals than to colo yourself based on power usage, unless you got some dirt cheap power. Even in cheaper spots I colo those would still be $50-65/mo each.

If it works for you though, do your thing :smile:

🦍🍌

• KermEdKermEd OG
    edited March 2022

@Harambe said:
    Those are cheaper to keep as RTO/rentals than to colo yourself based on power usage, unless you got some dirt cheap power. Even in cheaper spots I colo those would still be $50-65/mo each.

Definitely, I also don't want to maintain 10yr old servers either at the moment. I'm quite surprised at the price to be honest.

I'm not concerned about the costs, if I remove them it won't be to a colo but to out main office.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@KermEd said:

@Harambe said:
    Those are cheaper to keep as RTO/rentals than to colo yourself based on power usage, unless you got some dirt cheap power. Even in cheaper spots I colo those would still be $50-65/mo each.

Definitely, I also don't want to maintain 10yr old servers either at the moment. I'm quite surprised at the price to be honest.

I'm not concerned about the costs, if I remove them it won't be to a colo but to out main office.

If your plan is to have the servers shipped after the rto period, consider location and potential import/shipping duties. :)

I was thinking about your request/inquiry. May i suggest that a good compromise would be something like just regularly getting a dedi, but looking into buying the drives for it(ie: bring your own drives)? That way, you at least get the data /drives when you are done. And it can give you some config options that would otherwise not be there.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• @SGraf said:
    I was thinking about your request/inquiry. May i suggest that a good compromise would be something like just regularly getting a dedi, but looking into buying the drives for it(ie: bring your own drives)? That way, you at least get the data /drives when you are done. And it can give you some config options that would otherwise not be there.

I like that idea a lot. Hmm m definitely look into this idea.

I've also been thinking a lot about what everyone is saying in here. And keeping in mind for myself that I'm really looking at doing this for fail over and backup (and shouldn't be the primary service) and it isn't mission critical stuff... Maybe I should bite the bullet and just buy a server locally...

Right now I'm backing up / duplicating to a rental at Joe's Datacenter. But if it's so lightly used and I want to have something tangible after maybe the right answer is to do a local system. Or like you said, find someone that will let me own/install the drives at least to have that image. Hmm

@KermEd said:

@SGraf said:

I like that idea a lot. Hmm m definitely look into this idea.

I've also been thinking a lot about what everyone is saying in here. And keeping in mind for myself that I'm really looking at doing this for fail over and backup (and shouldn't be the primary service) and it isn't mission critical stuff... Maybe I should bite the bullet and just buy a server locally...

Right now I'm backing up / duplicating to a rental at Joe's Datacenter. But if it's so lightly used and I want to have something tangible after maybe the right answer is to do a local system. Or like you said, find someone that will let me own/install the drives at least to have that image. Hmm

I think both @DataIdeas (spring tx,us) and me (us/nl/at) are happy to do that.

MrVM ★ Virtual Servers ★

• vpsslimvpsslim Hosting Provider

Did you have any specific region in mind?

• @SGraf said:
    I think both @DataIdeas (spring tx,us) and me (us/nl/at) are happy to do that.

I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time - your prices are quite reasonable and lots of storage means is a big plus :)

@vpsslim said:
    Did you have any specific region in mind?

None really, but closer = less shipping costs should there be an option for RTO or bring-your-own-drives. So Canada or the US would be preferred.

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

You require it in US only? or Poland would be good enough?

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• @BlaZe said:
    You require it in US only? or Poland would be good enough?

I’m open to Poland :). US/Canada is just convenient for shipping purposes.

• edited March 2022

@KermEd said:
    Hi everyone,

I do offer RTO on request. piehasbeeneaten actually had one I RTO'd him, which he had for several years. He was trying to give it away for free on OGF, but no one wanted to pay for the colo. lol.

Anyways, please contact me directly we can discuss. DM me or hmu on Discord.

Thanked by (1)KermEd

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer
    edited March 2022

@SpryServers_Tab said: Anyways, please contact me directly we can discuss. DM me or hmu on Discord.

Hey!

Please check https://metalvps.com to see what I already have, with which I am very satisfied.

I could use a second server. My current provider doesn't have stock.

I am paying only $30/month to colo the existing server. Plus I paid $30 to buy it.

I always pay a month in advance so as to be sure my provider receives timely payment. My provider gets the first month and the second month at inception.

Phoenix, maybe?

If you could do something competitive, please let me know. Doesn't have to be exactly the same, but I do like ECC RAM.

Thanks!

Best!

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• williewillie OG
    edited March 2022

I've looked into this in the past, and dacentec has had some good offers, but I've never seen colo anywhere that was as cheap as Hetzner auction dedis, even just for the rack space and power.

I also looked into bring your own drives which I consider to be a good idea. It is not that easy to find hosts will do it, but it exists.

For backups I think the current refresh of Hetzner storage box is about as good as you can do (basically €2/TB/m with good RAID). Bring-your-own-drives basically costs more. Its main attraction is being able to have the drives shipped to you so you have them on your own premises. But, hard drives themselves are quite unreliable after sitting on a shelf for long periods. What I really want is a tape drive. Unfortunately, those are stupidly expensive unless they are supporting a ridiculous amount of media by LES standards. The crossover in terms of cost and hassle factor vs hard drives is probably in the 500+ TB range and that's for very cold data.

Having drives and tapes shipped to me from a DC is only interesting because my home internet is crap, so downloading TB's of data is not feasible for me. If you have good internet, even 100mbps but without bandwith caps, then you might as well use rental servers and download your data for your on-site copy. 100mbps is almost exactly 24 hours per TB so you can figure out if you need gigabit. I currently have around 5TB online, so a week of downloading is something I could live through.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles