Bunny.net DNS

Bunny.net has just posted a news article about their Bunny DNS. https://bunny.net/blog/transforming-internet-routing-introducing-bunny-dns/

I'am pretty skeptical about bunny as a provider in compare to monsters like Akamai. But it seems they introduce some really interesting services. Thought, DNS is in beta rollout. Estimated pricing also is reasonable. Still not direct competitor to CF. Sad :(

Thanked by (1)MrNutz99

Comments

• The pricing is good. It enables some things that are in CF paid plans - for example, if you want to have multiple backends in different areas and have the CDN pull from the closest available one, that is not free in CF, but it is pretty cheap with the new Bunny offering.

Not clear what the performance is like, can they handle DDoS on DNS infra, and all that other stuff. But I'll give it a try.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
  • edited March 2022

@tetech said:
    if you want to have multiple backends in different areas and have the CDN pull from the closest available one, that is not free in CF, but it is pretty cheap with the new Bunny offering.

I used a spare domain on Google Cloud DNS and setup a geo routing with 1 month TTL.
    Then I proxy my original domain on Cloudflare to the spare domain on Cloud DNS.
    It gives me the ability to route Cloudflare to the nearest region.
    And the TTL 1 month in Google gives me minimum charges per month (under $1 per month). Cloudflare is free plan.
    I can also setup the same thing on Bunny proxy. I believe that if I don't use the scriptable DNS then it should be free too. Not sure if it gives me more benefit than using CF

• Can anyone get bunny on here before Easter?

• @quanhua92 said:

@tetech said:
    if you want to have multiple backends in different areas and have the CDN pull from the closest available one, that is not free in CF, but it is pretty cheap with the new Bunny offering.

I used a spare domain on Google Cloud DNS and setup a geo routing with 1 month TTL.
    Then I proxy my original domain on Cloudflare to the spare domain on Cloud DNS.
    It gives me the ability to route Cloudflare to the nearest region.
    And the TTL 1 month in Google gives me minimum charges per month (under $1 per month). Cloudflare is free plan.
    I can also setup the same thing on Bunny proxy. I believe that if I don't use the scriptable DNS then it should be free too. Not sure if it gives me more benefit than using CF

Sounds like that would work, assuming you are somehow handling failover when one region is unavailable, but a pain in the butthole - spare domains, 1 month TTL, etc.

The Bunny approach seems fairly clean. At first read it seems like LUA records in PDNS but with Javascript instead. I don't really care if it is free or costs a dollar. I'm mostly interested from the pure DNS perspective, so the questions are like:

• Is it anycast and what are the pops
    • What are the monitoring parameters for detecting if a host is down (interval between checks, confirmation from multiple checkers, etc.), or alternatively how do you link an external monitor to it (API, ...)
    • How fast is the JS processor, i.e. what is the performance
    • How accurate is the geolocation
    • Can I use it as a secondary (AXFR), or if not, how good is the API for updating
    • Is there any per-domain cost, or is it purely based on number of lookups
    • How reliable is it, DDoS etc. (guess we won't know the answer for a while)
  • edited March 2022

@tetech said:

• How accurate is the geolocation

I used their Edge Rules on Bunny CDN Pull Zone with the country of IP in header. However, they look up the sender IP from a IP database so it may lead to incorrect routing. For example, testing the TTFB on KeyCDN website or Speedvitals.com will have incorrect results because the IP location of the test servers in Bunny database are wrong.
    In my opinion, Google Cloud DNS routes based on their PoP DNS server so it is much better.
    I don't think that the geo location in Bunny DNS can beat Google DNS
    My setup on Google Cloud DNS has multiple IPs per record so I can use Bunny DNS IP monitoring to avoid down time

• edited March 2022

@caracal said:
    Can anyone get bunny on here before Easter?

I will ask them.

Were they over on the OGF?

Thanked by (1)caracal

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• @SpryServers_Tab said:

@caracal said:
    Can anyone get bunny on here before Easter?

I will ask them.

Were they over on the OGF?

Yes, but they weren’t active apart from the occasional promo.

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited March 2022

Turns out you can just skip the Bunny waitlist slots if you just go to this URL directly:
    https://panel.bunny.net/dnszones

Thanked by (4)JeDaYoshi FrankZ dosai Asim

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• @Advin said:

Time to experiment, I guess!

(btw, is advinservers.com's WHOIS guard protection intentionally disabled?)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

Does anyone know if I add money to my bunny account does it expire after a period of time?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @FrankZ said:
    Does anyone know if I add money to my bunny account does it expire after a period of time?

Unless you're grandfathered, it'll just bill you for what you use it for, or at the very least $1/month. Credits do not expire otherwise.

Thanked by (1)FrankZ
    edited March 2022

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Advin said:

Yeah, there's not really any point in hiding it. Most of the information that is listed is on our website.
    Edit: I'll probably just hide it for now, but it'll be displayed on our website

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Advin said:

@Advin said:
    Turns out you can just skip the Bunny waitlist slots if you just go to this URL directly:

Looks like we had a good run, patched :(

Thanked by (1)vyas

• @Advin said:

Nope. Still put on waiting list. Maybe Geography based or AB testing. Or code not updated. Or you lucked out. :-) Cheers

@vyas said:

@Advin said:

Nope. Still put on waiting list. Maybe Geography based or AB testing. Or code not updated. Or you lucked out. :-) Cheers

I reported it and it ended up being patched, we had a good run.

• @Advin said:
    Looks like we had a good run, patched :(

Can confirm. Gotta wait, I guess :(

• All good things come to those who wait :D

BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

• Hm, I spotted dark pattern in their marketing.

Isn't it illegal in Europe to send marketing like this?

• @legendary said:
    Hm, I spotted dark pattern in their marketing.

Isn't it illegal in Europe to send marketing like this?

Is that a marketing email though? It looks billing-related.

The last marketing email I got from Bunny.net was in October and at the bottom of this email they definitely have an actual unsubscribe link:

I'm not a lawyer, nor am I really familiar with the ruling around it, but I think GDPR isn't as strict when it comes to "account-related" emails. Which it seems like it is in this case.

• This is promo email talking about "your trial credit is expiring, top up...". For me it looks like marketing.

• RazzaRazza OG
    edited March 2022

@legendary said:
    This is promo email talking about "your trial credit is expiring, top up...". For me it looks like marketing.

That email could be classified as account alert (Billing), but could also be classified as marketing by some user's.

Bunny seem to be classifying it as billing email so doesn't have to have a unsubscribe button.

• Yeah it looks like a transactional email, just informing you that your credits are expiring, better than no notification, if it was introducing new product or discount for credits, i would say that is marketing.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@tetech said: The pricing is good.

And crucially not per site.

Much more feasible hosting a bunch of small websites this way

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

Am I correct that this is anycast dns servers that allows geo-location of A, CNAME, MX records, for very low price? Has anybody been able to use it to verify this?

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• Anyone currently using Bunny DNS?

• I’m kicking the tires. 🛞 Really like it so far :)

• @AaronSS said: Anyone currently using Bunny DNS?

I've been using the Bunny geocast DNS on a couple of domains for a little over a month now. I've been comparing response time to my in-house geocast DNS. So far it has been very good. DNS response times are the same or a couple of ms better, and there has been no down time. The number of DNS requests are similar to what I was showing in-house, so they do not seem to be inflating DNS requests for billing purposes. They also don't seem to be billing yet, as the month went by and there was no deduction from my account credit. :)

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

• I really like how it check if the IP is online and show who owns the IP address. Very nice.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited September 2022

@AaronSS said: I really like how it check if the IP is online

From what I have seen so far, the standard geocast (non scripted), does not seem to have an auto failover feature yet. Although the checks work, I don't think that it removes the IP that is down from being served automatically. You can/must manually remove a failing web server from having it's IP served by clicking the slider for that IP in the zone or you can script in the failover.

Thanked by (1)mwt

• I made this certbot plugin for BunnyDNS if anyone is interested:
    https://github.com/mwt/certbot-dns-bunny

It lets you make wildcard certs.