[Site Improvements] Quick poll on "Mark All Viewed" button

MasonMason AdministratorOG

Howdy ho!

Just trying to see if anyone actually uses the "Mark All Viewed" button and finds it useful. Basically if you hit it, it just marks every thread on the page as "viewed" so any future comments show up as "new".

Personally, I don't find it particularly useful and have only hit it a couple times by complete accident. Thinking about removing it so it is no longer eating up space in the nav bar, so please complete the poll questions so I can gauge how such an action would be perceived.

Will keep alive for 24-48 hours and make a decision afterwards.

Cheers and thank you,
-Mason

Mark All Viewed sentiment poll.
  1. Have you ever used the "Mark All Viewed" button on purpose?88 votes
    1. Yes
      51.14%
    2. No
      23.86%
    3. Didn't even notice its existence
      25.00%
  2. Would you care if it was removed?88 votes
    1. Not at all, kill it with fire
      46.59%
    2. Yes, please don't remove
      53.41%

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

Thanked by (1)_MS_

Comments

• Everyone is going to click it now before it gets deleted

• MasonMason AdministratorOG
    edited March 2022

@henix said:
    Everyone is going to click it now before it gets deleted

Lol indeed FOMO at its finest.

If a significant number of users (33%+) actively use it and find it helpful, I'll keep it.
    If a small number of users (10%+) actively use it and find it helpful, I'll try and find some way to put it in the sidebar instead perhaps.
    If barely anyone (<10%) actively use it, then I'll remove it completely, sorry y'all

edit: so far, a lot more people are using it that I initially thought :P

• I believe quite a lot of users use it... that's one of the first thing people complained when I moved it somewhere when developing Vanilla theme

Thanked by (4)Mason bikegremlin Falzo bdl
    edited March 2022

@FAT32 said:
    I believe quite a lot of users use it... that's one of the first thing people complained when I moved it somewhere when developing Vanilla theme

So it seems! I'm honestly quite surprised. Personally, I hate it because I accidentally press it all the time and miss replies.

Maybe instead I'll look into figuring out how to add a dialogue box to confirm the button press. Best of both worlds then -- people who use it can keep using it, and people like me who are idiots can hit 'No' when we fat finger it.

Thanked by (2)FAT32 souen

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Maybe change the background and move it somewhere else to avoid those "accidents" ??

Thanked by (1)Mason

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Mason said:

@FAT32 said:
    I believe quite a lot of users use it... that's one of the first thing people complained when I moved it somewhere when developing Vanilla theme

So it seems! I'm honestly quite surprised. Personally, I hate it because I accidentally press it all the time and miss replies.

Maybe instead I'll look into figuring out how to add a dialogue box to confirm the button press. Best of both worlds then -- people who use it can keep using it, and people like me who are idiots can hit 'No' when we fat finger it.

It's usually at the bottom.

Thanked by (1)Mason

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said: It's usually at the bottom.

Interesting, that's a good option if I can easily implement it.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• qpsqps Hosting ProviderOG
    edited March 2022

I'm fine with moving it to the bottom (or sidebar if that's easier) if it's possible to do that, but I'd prefer that it not be removed.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • Could you please properly align elements bellow?

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • I don't see how it can be clicked by accident, unless you admins have another button next to it that we normal users don't have :smiley:

Anyways, it can be moved to the bottom since it also exists under the Account Options menu if anyone wants to reach it up top.

Thanked by (2)Mason root

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

@TheDP said:
    I don't see how it can be clicked by accident

Please don't underestimate my stupidity

• @Mason said:

@TheDP said:
    I don't see how it can be clicked by accident

Please don't underestimate my stupidity

... or my inability to see where the mouse cursor actually is

Thanked by (2)Mason skorous
  • @Martiin, "duck you" button plz.

Thanked by (2)legendary bikegremlin

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

@deank said:
    @Martiin, "duck you" button plz.

Okay, I'll change your custom tag to a duck and when people click it, it'll reset your 'Thanks' counter to zero. Sound good, or were you thinking something else?

Thanked by (2)Ganonk Logano

• @Mason said: Maybe instead I'll look into figuring out how to add a dialogue box to confirm the button press. Best of both worlds then -- people who use it can keep using it, and people like me who are idiots can hit 'No' when we fat finger it.

This. 100%. I live in constant fear of accidentally clicking that button :sweat_smile:

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • MS said:

it's a matter of habbits and how (often) you use a forum like this.

think of it this way: if you click 'mark all viewed' every time before you leave the board, aka after you read all that is of interest to you, you can easily see what's really new the next time you come here, and pick from the topics that have new additions.

if you visit multiple times daily it can help a lot with keeping track.

TL;DR; please don't remove or make it too complicated to click it, it has it's purpose for quite some of us.

Thanked by (3)_MS_ Mason TigersWay
  • Same as Falzo, I use it every time I visit so the following time I can quickly see what threads have been updated. It's fine by me if you add a confirmation after clicking it, just please don't remove it.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • Please don't remove that button.

Thanked by (1)Mason

How are you... online?

Don't worry guys, it's not getting axed. Didn't realize so many people actually used it :)

• I use it so much that even if there was 1 thread unread, I'll hit the "Mark All Viewed" button :smiley:

Thanked by (1)Mason

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Yeah mark all viewed is an important function especially in some super busy communities i visit, can get overwhelming.

Thanked by (2)Mason bikegremlin
  • I'm fine with keeping it but a prompt to ask "are you sure" would be nice. I've accidentally clicked it a couple times.

Thanked by (1)Mason

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• DecicusDecicus OG
    edited March 2022

@CamoYoshi said:
    I'm fine with keeping it but a prompt to ask "are you sure" would be nice. I've accidentally clicked it a couple times.

Good idea. Since I want something like this too, I whipped up a quick userscript:

// ==UserScript==
    // @name        LowEndSpirit.com - "Mark All Viewed" Confirmation
    // @namespace   github.com/Decicus
    // @match       https://talk.lowendspirit.com/*
    // @grant       none
    // @version     1.0.0
    // @author      Decicus
    // @description Confirm whether you wanna mark all LES discussions as viewed.
    // ==/UserScript==

window.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function() {
        const viewedButton = document.querySelector('.MarkAllViewed');

// Can't find button - e.g. not logged in
        if (!viewedButton) {
            return;
        }

let markAsViewed = false;
        viewedButton.addEventListener('click', function(ev) {
            if (markAsViewed) {
                return;
            }

ev.preventDefault();
            ev.stopPropagation();

if (!confirm('Confirm: Mark all viewed?')) {
                return;
            }

markAsViewed = true;
            ev.target.click();
            markAsViewed = false;
        });
    });

Works with Violentmonkey at least. I imagine it's compatible with the other userscript managers.

Thanked by (2)Mason CamoYoshi
  • Definitely a keeper.

Although I've pressed it quite a few times by mistake in the past 🤦🏻‍♂️

But it's still a pretty neat feature, and needs to stay.

Thanked by (1)Mason
  • @Decicus said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    I'm fine with keeping it but a prompt to ask "are you sure" would be nice. I've accidentally clicked it a couple times.

Good idea. Since I want something like this too, I whipped up a quick userscript:

Once again showing you are the real MVP here. Thank you!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• This is one of my most-used things. What is really needed is "ignore thread".

• @tetech said: What is really needed is "ignore thread".

I don't think that's needed here right?

Maybe somewhere else :smiley:

Thanked by (2)pikachu mikho

• flipsflips OG
    edited March 2022

I have used it, but I don't find it particularly useful. An option to ignore thread/topic would be highly welcome ... :)

• @Mason maybe just add a rule to your ad-blocker to hide it in your browser? ;-)

This discussion has been closed.