Storage in the $1-2/TB/mo range

Hi, I've got storage servers with HostHatch ($1/TB/mo) and Servarica ($2/TB/mo). Anyone know of deals going inside this price range with other providers?

No hard location/RAM/CPU requirements, just have to be able to use borg & scp, and has to have reasonable resilience (not single drive or RAID0). Doesn't have to be a VPS, but needs to have reasonable retrieval BW included (not like AWS & co). Thanks.

Comments

• subscribed.

Thanked by (2)mfs uniquoo
  • Not sure if you're already aware of the new HETZNER storage box prices. You can get the entry-level storage box (1 TB) for 2.9 euros a month. If you get a 5 TB storage box, it's 2 euros per TB.

https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box

Thanked by (2)tetech Hetzner_OL
  • Unsubscribed.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• @nick_ said:
    Not sure if you're already aware of the new HETZNER storage box prices. You can get the entry-level storage box (1 TB) for 2.9 euros a month. If you get a 5 TB storage box, it's 2 euros per TB.

https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box

I'm aware thanks, but that's priced 50% above the target range. In other respects it is a good option though.

• Subscribed

• @tetech said: HostHatch ($1/TB/mo)

Whaat? Got any more of that?

At €2/m there is C14 archive and also OVH cloud archive (latter has egress fees). C14 is a more interesting product.

How much space are you looking for? With the bigger Hetzner SX servers you can get $/TB into your range, even with raid.

Thanked by (1)tetech
  • @willie said:

@tetech said: HostHatch ($1/TB/mo)

Whaat? Got any more of that?

At €2/m there is C14 archive and also OVH cloud archive (latter has egress fees). C14 is a more interesting product.

How much space are you looking for? With the bigger Hetzner SX servers you can get $/TB into your range, even with raid.

Don't think HostHatch are doing $1/TB/mo at the moment! Both that and Servarica required annual payment for that price.

Yes, the C14 glacier is priced OK, only 75GB of retrieval BW included though, and worse is that moving from regular S3 to C14 has to be done via API (can't upload directly to C14 as I understand it). Probably OK for selected files but not sure how nicely it would play with existing scripts.

Probably 2-4TB would be enough right now, but will take more if it is at the lower end of the range. Annual payment OK.

• Just get a SX server from Hetzner and split up the cost with some friends. Otherwise, this kind of price per TB only happens rarely on special occasions.

Good luck.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL
  • edited March 2022

Look out for InceptionHosting promo boxes, they have done ~$0.0023/GB pricing occassionally.

Thanked by (1)tetech
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2022

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

I believe the "in" thing on FB is to simply type "f" --> for follow. Instead of taking the effort to type "subscribed" or "following".
    Of course with the three character minimum in Vanilla you may have to get creative.

Thanked by (1)risharde
  • @stevewatson301 said:
    Look out for InceptionHosting promo boxes, they have done ~$0.0023/GB pricing occassionally.

Definitely open to that! An old $2/TB/mo storage VPS at Time4VPS is expiring in June, so I have some time.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

@deank said:
    Unsubscribed.

@Sanjue007 said:
    Subscribed

Thank you for these quality contributions to the thread.

Anyway...if you're chasing ultralow price per TB and don't care about quality/safety then leveraging one of the cloud providers unlimiteds is probably your best bet

If not...hetzner storageboxes seem to be current industry standard for OK compromise on all fronts

• @vyas said:

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

I believe the "in" thing on FB is to simply type "f" --> for follow. Instead of taking the effort to type "subscribed" or "following".
    Of course with the three character minimum in Vanilla you may have to get creative.

I can't tell if you're making a joke or not.

If not: Press F to Pay Respects

Thanked by (1)bdl
  • @tetech said: Yes, the C14 glacier is priced OK, only 75GB of retrieval BW included though

I might have to check again but I thought it worked out that C14 retrieval was free as long as the destination was inside online/scaleway. From there you could use one of their hourly vps to get the data out. There are command line tools around that implement the S3 API.

• @willie said:

@tetech said: Yes, the C14 glacier is priced OK, only 75GB of retrieval BW included though

I might have to check again but I thought it worked out that C14 retrieval was free as long as the destination was inside online/scaleway. From there you could use one of their hourly vps to get the data out. There are command line tools around that implement the S3 API.

You're right that it is free restoring it to S3, but then getting it out of S3 has 75GB/month. Hmm could potentially go via an hourly VPS instead, that's an idea.

@havoc said: If not...hetzner storageboxes seem to be current industry standard for OK compromise on all fronts

Maybe I shouldn't have been so dismissive of @nick_, I guess I could reconfigure the primary/secondary backups so that I use a larger Hetzner box and get the $/TB rate down a bit.

• Don't know if anyone tried Jottacloud CLI. It would have the same problem of needing to change scripts, but pricing would be OK... 8 EUR/mo for "unlimited" (but lower upload speed above 5TB). So for 5TB it is 1.6EUR/TB/mo.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited April 2022

iDrive. Personal plan 5 TB at 5 US Dollars/month (paid annually) - so 1 US Dollar/TB
    Mini plan 1 TB 15 US Dollars/ annual

• @vyas said: iDrive. Personal plan 5 TB at 5 US Dollars/month (paid annually)

Wait, what is that and where do you get it? Is it an Apple product (I hope not)? Interesting.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited April 2022

how has servarica storage been? im concerned with HH situation now, although to be fair i have had zero total failure, but one xfs_repair.

anyone has a network YABS of servarica?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @willie said:

@vyas said: iDrive. Personal plan 5 TB at 5 US Dollars/month (paid annually)

Wait, what is that and where do you get it? Is it an Apple product (I hope not)? Interesting.

iDrive... not iCloud :-)

• @vyas said:
    iDrive. Personal plan 5 TB at 5 US Dollars/month (paid annually) - so 1 US Dollar/TB
    Mini plan 1 TB 15 US Dollars/ annual

I use iDrive on non-linux machines. It works and is OK (I've renewed it a few times) but speeds are slow, linux scripts suck (basically I can't get them to work), and support is bad.

@cybertech said:
    how has servarica storage been? im concerned with HH situation now, although to be fair i have had zero total failure, but one xfs_repair.

Quite OK, I just renewed with them last week. Note they use Xen. Stability is good. I would use more from Servarica, but find their pricing doesn't scale well and more importantly I don't want all my eggs in one basket. I'm basically looking to backup my Servarica backups.

• I looked more at Hetzner storage box. Unless I missed something, a couple of things that seem to be drawbacks compared to a VPS: there's no way to restrict connections to specific whitelisted IP address(es), and no way to make it the endpoint of a VPN (e.g. mount Samba securely). Not fatal problems.

• edited April 2022

If you're okay with backing up manually, OneDrive can be about $7/yr/TB. (If there are auto-backup options for OneDrive, I'm interested!)

Basically, you buy 5 Microsoft 365 Personal 1-year subscriptions via Newegg when they're on sale for $40/yr (normally $70/yr), redeem all 5 years to your Microsoft account on the Microsoft 365 webpage, and then convert all 5 years to a Family plan by buying 1 month's Family subscription direct from the Microsoft webpage (the site will ask you whether you want to convert your account from Personal to Family). After you do that, you'll be on the Microsoft 365 Family plan which gives you access to 1TB OneDrive + 5 invites that all get 1TB each as well, for a total of 6TB. 5 years costs just over $200. And you get Office 365 on top for free. And 60 minutes/mo. of Skype.

My only gripe is that OneDrive personal is gimped compared to OneDrive team/enterprise/business (whatever the name is).

Thanked by (3)tetech abtdw tarasis
  • @Logano said:
    If you're okay with backing up manually, OneDrive can be about $7/yr/TB. (If there are auto-backup options for OneDrive, I'm interested!)

Basically, you buy 5 Microsoft 365 Personal 1-year subscriptions via Newegg when they're on sale for $40/yr (normally $70/yr), redeem all 5 years to your Microsoft account on the Microsoft 365 webpage, and then convert all 5 years to a Family plan by buying 1 month's Family subscription direct from the Microsoft webpage (the site will ask you whether you want to convert your account from Personal to Family). After you do that, you'll be on the Microsoft 365 Family plan which gives you access to 1TB OneDrive + 5 invites that all get 1TB each as well, for a total of 6TB. 5 years costs just over $200. And you get Office 365 on top for free. And 60 minutes/mo. of Skype.

My only gripe is that OneDrive personal is gimped compared to OneDrive team/enterprise/business (whatever the name is).

Thanks for the idea - complicated but I think I follow. OneDrive can be automated (if we are on the same page about what that means). I currently backup my IMAP folders to OneDrive via Borg (encrypted) then rclone to OneDrive a couple of times per day.

This might be a good option for stuff that is already encrypted.

Thanked by (1)Logano
  • @vyas said:

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

f

Thanked by (1)vyas

RCLOUDSYSTEMS - EmailBackup and EmailSync are powerful email management and migration utilities for an unbeatable price!

• @tetech said:
    Borg
    rclone

These are unfamiliar terms to me, but I will look into them. Thanks!
    (currently pointing-and-clicking to upload stuff...)

• tetechtetech OG
    edited April 2022

@Logano said:

@tetech said:
    Borg
    rclone

These are unfamiliar terms to me, but I will look into them. Thanks!
    (currently pointing-and-clicking to upload stuff...)

Aha! Assuming you are using linux, then borg-to-OneDrive is something like this:

#!/bin/sh
    TS=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`
    export BORG_PASSPHRASE='myencryptionkey'
    sudo borg create --stats --compression zlib,6 /data/backups/borg/mail::$TS /home/*/Mail 2>&1
    sudo borg prune --stats --keep-within=1m --keep-daily=365 --keep-weekly=-1 /data/backups/borg/mail 2>&1
    rclone -v sync /data/backups/borg/mail OneDrive:Backup/borg/mail 2>&1

which you can automate via cron.

Thanked by (1)Logano
  • @willie said: Whaat? Got any more of that?

Hosthatch actually had $0.9/TB/month during one of their sales :tongue:

I've got one of the $1/TB/month boxes (10TB for $240 / 2 years) and it's pretty decent.

@vyas said:

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

The thing that confuses me is that Facebook actually has a "turn on notifications for this post" option that lets you get notifications whenever a new comment is posted. You don't have to comment anything!

• @Daniel said:

@willie said: Whaat? Got any more of that?

I've got one of the $1/TB/month boxes (10TB for $240 / 2 years) and it's pretty decent.

@vyas said:

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

The thing that confuses me is that Facebook actually has a "turn on notifications for this post" option that lets you get notifications whenever a new comment is posted. You don't have to comment anything!

You think the average Facebook user is smart effort to know this? Haha

• DanielDaniel OG
    edited April 2022

@Erisa said:

@Daniel said:

@willie said: Whaat? Got any more of that?

@vyas said:

@Falzo said:
    subscribed.

You think the average Facebook user is smart effort to know this? Haha

~3 billion people use Facebook per month so "the average Facebook user" is pretty broad 😛

Thanked by (1)Erisa