Opinion: Is it desirable to hear a new provider's "back story"?

Or do people only care about pricing and performance?

Comments

• vyasvyas OG
    edited April 2022

On Tinder* do you look at the picture or do you bother read "I like taking long watches on the beach" or "I love dogs" ?

p.s: read some of the providers interviews and you will feel they are narrating the story from their backside.

*Or similar or previous incarnations, depending on decade of your birth or preferences grindr, bumble, Match, eHarmony dot com, etc...

Thanked by (1)pikachu

Squats are the new Push-ups

• I guess perhaps that I am interested in that sort of stuff doesn't many everyone (or maybe anyone) else is. Everywhere in the technology sector that I have worked I have asked about how they got started (except where it was already public knowledge).

• Won't most of these stories be pretty much the same "we started small (after getting interested in it as a hobby), worked very hard, really focused on our customers, ..."?

Thanked by (2)bruh21 pikachu
  • I don’t know that I’d read it, tbh. But you should just be you. Focus on the things you care about and the customers will follow.

I like genuine, trustworthy and honest. People who help others.

I look for higher volume cost now though. Services I could semi-trust on my business (where a week of downtime is OK) so paying 40/m for a server is fine.

You don’t want to be a nameless low end host though and although prices matter it isn’t always the most important thing for me.

• So long as you're not a scammy cunt (and let's face it, who's going to reveal that willingly) I couldn't care less about your backstory.

Personality matters for sure, but back story is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Thanked by (1)bruh21
  • I like to read the back story and I'm always perplexed when there's nothing there. Or worse, when it's something so bland that you could read it on any other website. Having a back story distinguishes you from other businesses.

Thanked by (1)SeanP
  • Pricing and performance are the least of my worries.
    I want to know the weight, height, wrist size, bicep size, chest size, leg size of my provider.
    HAZI.ro is a great provider because they submitted a push-up video that demonstrates the above aspects.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Depends. If it is that certain provider related to AlphaRacks, back story is important.

• Fair points all around. I definitely don't have the upper body strength I should so push-ups are out of the question. Maybe one day!

Probably will put something in the About section and leave it at that. No need to put it up and out front, it seems.

• Only price.

And then performance. The less people pay, the more they demand.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• "I am the founder and CEO of WebHosting Inc. I have founded this company because we can provide you with a service that is better than all others. We will go above and beyond to ensure our customer's happiness.

Some things about myself: I was born at a very young age, and have now founded a webhosting company".

Paraphrasing: I dont give a fuck about your backstory.

Hey teamacc. You're a dick. (c) Jon Biloh, 2020.

• Doesn't really matter to me. It's a business, trying to make money, not a whole lot more to it and not the part that affects me the way pricing and performance does.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

hi, im reselling hetzner / OVH during holidays

Thanked by (1)bruh21

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    hi, im reselling hetzner / OVH during summer holidays

FTFy

Squats are the new Push-ups

• I want to hear the story, how they started with one hand crafted VPS that could barely feed their starving kitty, working their fingers to the bone and ended up with a whole litter of kittens and cats stacked all over the place.
    But nowadays, nobody is going to tell you that.