Route48.org :: IPv6 BGP Enabled Tunnelbroker Service

CloudieCloudie Hosting ProviderServices Provider

https://route48.org

Did you always want to have IPv6 at home, but your ISP doesn't realise it's 2022 and refused to deploy it?
Have you ever thought how cool it would be to have your own personal IPv6 block with your own whois information on it?
Just imagine... how awesome it would be able to do real-world BGP and control your own IPv6 space?
Imagine, no more! We want to formally introduce Route48.org! Your new free TunnelBroker, IPv6 network allocator, and BGP session / IPv6 transit provider! Yes Free, instant, and automatic!

What is Route48, and why should we care?

The idea behind this project is to enable a regular user to learn, use and play with IPv6, BGP, and networking in a safe, free and automated manner. As an LIR it is our responsibility to promote and endorse the use of IPv6 to our end clients and serve them with the opportunity to learn and use IP resources (in this case IPv6 resources)
We take pride in knowing that we are actively supporting the adoption of IPv6 for users that would otherwise find it too difficult. But now, without further ado lets go over the features of this new platform:

IPv6 Tunnel Broker

Route48's tunnel broker functionality enables any user to create what is called a 6in4 tunnel. This gives you the ability to create a simple, VPN-like, tunnel where you get allocated a full /48 IPv6 block and you can route all your IPv6 traffic through one of our nodes. 6in4 tunnel enables any user to bring IPv6 into their home network or to a server that is IPv4 only. From over 13 geographical locations (and growing) you're able to choose the location that is closest to you or your server.

Automated IPv6 prefix Allocation

Everyone wants to have their IP space and be able to manage the space themselves. Well, now you can, and you can do this for free. In Route48 we can assign and allocate multiple IPv6 prefixes, this means you can control the name, and country and even add your RIPE maintainer to the assigned IPv6 network. You can even take the newly assigned IPv6 space to your hosting providers and ask them to announce the prefix on their network and route the IPv6 space to your existing server(s). We provide LOAs, and each allocation is automatically signed with an RPKI ROA and IRR object. Let's also keep in mind how much of a perfect excuse this would be to learn how to manage IP resources on the RIPE database, securely and safely using your RIPE account.

Automated BGP Sessions

Now we all know that once you have your IP address, the next step is to get them announced and routed on the internet. While you can use the allocated address space with whatever upstream you wish, Route48 offers automatic BGP sessions over your IPv6 tunnels. This means you can start exporting and announcing your newly allocated IPv6 networks using your BGP sessions and route them to where you wish! (Free and automated IPv6 transit for your newly allocated IPv6 space)

Route48 Global Network & Sponsors

Route48 is proud to be able to offer so many different node locations for 6in4 tunnels and for transit, as of right now we have nodes in 13 different locations around the world (and a few more in the works)
Yes, all of this is free! But how? Well, we are lucky enough to have a few hosting providers who were willing to sponsor IP space and servers for this project, this is the reason we can offer such a diverse number of locations with such flexible and automated features.

Further Disclosure...

This project is a joint partnership between Cloudie Networks & Zappie Host. Administration of all nodes in use provided by our sponsors and directly, are done so by only Cloudie Networks, & Zappie Host.

In short, this platform can empower end-users to do more with IPv6 and be less locked into what your hosting provider or ISP provides you. Let's be honest, who doesn't want an IPv6 address that has the words b00b in it :P

P.S. we love feedback, criticism, and suggestions. If you have an idea or even a question about this project, we would love to hear it!

Comments

• CloudieCloudie Hosting ProviderServices Provider

For those who simply want to see what this platform looks like and how it works without going registering here are some screenshots and a short video showing all the features end to end

Screenshots (Album): https://imgur.com/a/1bW8sTz

Short video showing all features: https://youtu.be/7iqo9qyKUIQ

Thanked by (2)Zappie FrankZ
  • Can I use it if I don't have a static ip?

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• Also what is needed page does not work ,

• edited April 2022

Looks neat.
    Fewer location than TunnelBroker.net but the subnets would be reachable from Comcast.

How many tunnels can I have?

Is there an API to update IPv4 endpoint of a tunnel?
    This is useful for residential connections where IPv4 address changes weekly or monthly.

I see that the Virginia tunnel server IPv4 comes from Misaka Networks, not one of the partners.
    Does IPv6 traffic emerge from Virginia too, or is it backhauled to Zappie?

Misaka only sells VPS but not dedicated.
    Does this mean Virginia location would be 1Gbps speed only and quite slow?

The links on bottom left corner of https://route48.org are not working.
    What is needed? => Content not available.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @yoursunny said:
    Looks neat.
    Fewer location than TunnelBroker.net but the subnets would be reachable from Comcast.

How many tunnels can I have?

Is there an API to update IPv4 endpoint of a tunnel?
    This is useful for residential connections where IPv4 address changes weekly or monthly.

I see that the Virginia tunnel server IPv4 comes from Misaka Networks, not one of the partners.
    Does IPv6 traffic emerge from Virginia too, or is it backhauled to Zappie?

The links on bottom left corner of https://route48.org are not working.
    What is needed? => Content not available.

Will you stop copying me ? 🤣

I'll get the links sorted out on the website, just mainly aiming at the panels functionality, plus locations :)

Yes, unfortunately, not big budget like Tunnelbroker.net but, we do have some quite rare POPs, like... Taipei ;-)

API for changing IP address for dynamics etc, yes that's there in the Edit function, you'll be presented with a link :)

Virginia comes from Misaka, (Thanks Misaka!!! <3), no transit is backhauled to Zappie, everything is local where we can do it :).

@codelock no static IP address is required, but you must be able to have ICMP enabled;

We are looking at adding Wireguard/Zerotier in the near future, to make it easier for those to connect, especially on Dynamic IP addresses, and people behind a CGNAT etc.

By default, there are 5 Tunnels, 5 Prefixes (/48 -> /44) and 5 BGP sessions per user. if you need more just send in an email via the Contact Us area on the Control panel, and we will see what we can do for you.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator

It is nice to see another IPv6 tunnel broker.
    Good luck to you.

Thanked by (2)Cloudie skorous

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• Thanks for the super nice service and it's free! Very satisfied and best wish for your success !

• Thanks and good luck :)

• Having a Privacy Policy would be useful.

Also, could you add the public IP addresses to the list of public locations - so we can check how good latency would be before signing up?

• Well done 👍🏼

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• I will definitely check this out. Thank you and good job!

Talistech.com — ICT Consultancy and NVMe web hosting solutions.

• Good job! Nice to see Kyiv on the list

Too bad my Netgear 8500 doesn't support 6in4 tunnel, only 6rd Tunnel(

• ZappieZappie Hosting Provider

@Mulder said: Too bad my Netgear 8500 doesn't support 6in4 tunnel, only 6rd Tunnel(

You're in luck, as far as I can tell (testing on a linux box) 6RD works fine and as it should over GRE/SIT tunnels we provision now. In your router try the following:

6rd Prefix: [YOUR IPv6 prefix without the /48]
    6rd Prefix Length: 48
    6rd boarder IPv4: [Your tunnel IPv4 Address]
    6rd Ipv6 netmask length: 32

Router's Ipv6 address: [YOUR IPv6 prefix finishing with a ::2 at the end]

If you're having issues still feel free to email us too we can try get your connection going on your router

Thanked by (1)Daniel

@cmeerw said: Also, could you add the public IP addresses to the list of public locations - so we can check how good latency would be before signing up?

We will aim to get a page on the website, but for now, this is what we have

216.238.103.82 - Sao Palo [BR]
    104.224.52.139 - Castlegar [CA] (BGP Support)
    74.119.150.68 - Toronto [CA]
    216.73.159.36 - Valdivia [CL]
    185.10.17.245 - Paris [FR]
    185.107.82.73 - Steenbergen [NL] (BGP Support)
    185.125.168.181 - Sandefjord [NO] (BGP Support)
    103.208.86.33 - Auckland [NZ] (BGP Support)
    45.77.45.47 - Singapore [SG]
    103.147.22.87 - Taipei [TW] (BGP Support)
    193.218.118.68 - Kyiv [UA] (BGP Support)
    45.63.49.83 - Los Angeles [US]
    23.134.88.2 - Fremont [US] (BGP Support)
    170.39.224.166 - Virginia [US] (BGP Support)

But like Cloudie mentioned, we have a few more locations in the works, so keep an eye out as we're adding more and more nodes B)

Thanked by (1)_MS_
  • edited April 2022

@Zappie said:

@Mulder said: Too bad my Netgear 8500 doesn't support 6in4 tunnel, only 6rd Tunnel(

You're in luck, as far as I can tell (testing on a linux box) 6RD works fine and as it should over GRE/SIT tunnels we provision now. In your router try the following:

6rd Prefix: [YOUR IPv6 prefix without the /48]
    6rd Prefix Length: 48
    6rd boarder IPv4: [Your tunnel IPv4 Address]
    6rd Ipv6 netmask length: 32

Router's Ipv6 address: [YOUR IPv6 prefix finishing with a ::2 at the end]

If you're having issues still feel free to email us too we can try get your connection going on your router

It works, but I don't have static IP so I have to run a cron job on my server to update the IP

<?php

$id = "xxx";
        $token = "yyy";
        $newIP = gethostbyname('myhost.mynetgear.com');
        $url = "https://api.route48.org/api/tunnels/update/$id?api_token=$token&remote_v4_address=$newIP";

// create a new cURL resource
    $ch = curl_init();

// set URL and other appropriate options
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);

// grab URL and pass it to the browser
    curl_exec($ch);

// close cURL resource, and free up system resources
    curl_close($ch);
    ?>

• Any ports blocked?

IRC allowed?

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

@Mulder said: It works, but I don't have static IP so I have to run a cron job on my server to update the IP

Nice!

@TheDP said: Any ports blocked?

We block 25 for obvious reasons and we have seen a little abuse from IRC ports (but no other ports blocked), feel free to send through an email and we'll be happy to unlock for IRC for your tunnel if you wanted

• Too bad my ISP blocks ICMP

@codelock said: Too bad my ISP blocks ICMP

Soon (a week or so) we will hopefully gave Wireguard set up meaning you and others without a public IP address would be able to also use this tunnel broker at home

• @Zappie said:

@codelock said: Too bad my ISP blocks ICMP

Soon (a week or so) we will hopefully gave Wireguard set up meaning you and others without a public IP address would be able to also use this tunnel broker at home

Great, looking forward to the same.

• edited April 2022

It definitely works. I'm posting this using ipv6 from Route48 :+1:

Thanked by (3)Cloudie Zappie Hertonis

@Mulder said: It definitely works. I'm posting this using ipv6 from Route48

Thats awesome, welcome to the future!

• DanielDaniel OG
    edited April 2022

This looks great!! Nice work. I'm going to sign up and see how well it works for my servers that don't support IPv6 (luckily there's no too many of them)

@yoursunny said: Fewer location than TunnelBroker.net but the subnets would be reachable from Comcast.

??

I use Tunnelbroker on some servers and they're perfectly reachable from Comcast:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  xxxx
      2    12 ms    13 ms    11 ms  xxxx
      3     *       13 ms     *     xxxx
      4    13 ms    11 ms    10 ms  be-232-rar01.santaclara.ca.sfba.comcast.net [2001:558:80:213::1]
      5    10 ms    15 ms    11 ms  2001:558:80:1b4::2
      6    13 ms    12 ms    15 ms  2001:558:80:1a9::1
      7     *        *       15 ms  be-39911-cs01.9greatoaks.ca.ibone.comcast.net [2001:558:3:97c::1]
      8     *       16 ms     *     be-2112-pe12.9greatoaks.ca.ibone.comcast.net [2001:558:3:48::2]
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10    15 ms    13 ms    14 ms  100ge16-1.core1.sjc2.he.net [2001:470:0:459::1]
     11    24 ms    13 ms    15 ms  100ge2-1.core4.fmt2.he.net [2001:470:0:3d3::2]
     12    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  tserv1.fmt2.he.net [2001:470:0:45::2]
     13    28 ms    29 ms    31 ms  tunnelxxxxx-pt.tunnel.tserv3.fmt2.ipv6.he.net [2001:470:xxxxxxx]

(the extra ~10-15ms latency is because the actual server is in Las Vegas, but the closest Tunnelbroker location is Fremont)

• Can you please add a confirmation prompt when clicking "delete" on a tunnel? It's currently way too easy to accidentally delete one :smile:

Thanked by (1)adly
  • Los Angeles node of push-ups delivery network is now running on Route48 tunnel.
    It is a @VirMach server left behind in ColonCrossing.

Previously it's using HE Fremont that is 10ms away.
    HE Los Angeles used to be 18ms away but it's now 10ms.
    Route48 Los Angeles is less than 1ms away, which greatly reduces latency.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Solved the problem of no ipv6.

Thanked by (1)Zappie
    edited April 2022

@Daniel said:
    Can you please add a confirmation prompt when clicking "delete" on a tunnel? It's currently way too easy to accidentally delete one :smile:

Added to the to-do list :)

@Daniel said:
    because the actual server is in Las Vegas

Might have some good news for you soon (tm)

@yoursunny said:
    node of push-ups delivery network is now running

When is the AU PoP coming? :-)

• edited April 2022

Would it be possible to bring your own IPv6 prefixes for BGP tunnelbroker?

btw, for the Brazilian location, it is "São Paulo" :)

Thanked by (1)terrorgen